dreamfields, spelt, and sprouted grain - oh my!

Options
So, I went to a a new organic market the other day and found a whole new world of pasta. The problem is, I have no idea what each means.

So, dreamfields pasta looks like a pretty good situation - but what are digestible carbs? Are those net carbs? I'm not sure how it's possible to only have 5 grams of carbs in a (delicious) pasta!!

And spelt and sprouted grain - no idea the benefits/cons of those.

Any input would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Replies

• mamatafari
    mamatafari Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about the pasta you're talking about :) But, I love my gf pasta. No wheat belly bloat!! And so much healthier.
    Spelt is better for you than whole wheat and white. Sprouted grain is great :) I buy sprouted grain tortillas and they're delicious. Health benefits, well like spelt, much better for you. Not refined.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    anyone else?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Dreamfields tastes just fine, but it isn't any healthier and the carb claims are questionable.

If the "sprouted grain" was Food for Life / Ezekiel brand, I'd stay away. Their breads and English muffins are good, but the pasta is nearly inedible.

I'd try the spelt.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I am reading about it right now so I decided to do a search on MFP and found this "short" thread. I will do a little more research before buying any of it. I wonder about the "digestable carbs" as well. I have had spelt and love the taste but I had it awhile back before I was watching my weight.

denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    There's a section on this website titled Fake Low Carb Products that might be useful:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/category/food/fake-low-carb-products
    The Serpent in Paradise

Be very skeptical of special “low carb” products such as pasta or chocolate. Unfortunately that is usually junk food that have stopped the weight loss for lots of people. These products are usually full of carbs once you see through their creative marketing.

Dreamfields’ “low carb pasta” for example is almost pure starch that is absorbed more or less like any pasta:

The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud

How about low carb bread? Be careful: if it’s baked on grains it’s certainly not low carb. But some companies still try to sell it to you as low carb. Here’s an example:

Julian Bakery’s fake low carb bread

Low Carb chocolate is usually full of sugar alcohols, that the manufacturer does not count as carbs. But roughly half of them may be absorbed, raising the blood sugar. The rest ends up in the large intestine where it may easily cause gas and diarrhea. Additionally they can maintain sugar cravings.

If you want to be healthy and slim – eat real food instead