Giving Up / Addicted to Cheese

Options

Replies

• darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    But Darla, in all seriousness, me too. i love cheese and really was a cheese snob and it really is one of my trigger foods. I really do have to just not eat any, otehrwise, I will eat too much.

Thanks.

That's EXACTLY why I have to give it up.
  • darla499
    Options
    Haha oh god. I had the WORST cheese addiction. I had to give up cheese 100% for about a month to break it, and then slllowlllly reintroduce it. Happily I'm at the point now where I can enjoy 3-4 servings of cheese per week without turning into the cheese monster.

I still can't be trusted around cheddars though.

Thanks! There's hope :smile:
  • darla499
    Options
    That's tough Darla !! The day is coming when I'll have to give up my beloved PB be cause it is definitely a trigger for me! I'm able to manage the cheese. My new favorite is stir fry clear noodles with veggies at the Pho King down the street. Noodles are not our friend!, I know its a sad day, but some friends just bring out the beast in us, and are best out of our lives! Good Luck !,

Oh Lord!

Did I mention that I LOVE to have my cheese ON noodles?

LOL.

Yep ... definitely quitting it here. :smile:
  • darla499
    Options
    Do what you need to do lovely lady!

We don't really buy cheese with our groceries; if we do it's sort of a treat. I could eat the whole block in a sitting given the chance. If it triggers a binge for you then it is the smart thing to avoid it. I wish you luck. Just keep doing what works best for you.

Thank you soooo much.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I am a cashew addict.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    Im like this with pnut butter. I might be able to control my self a time or two but then Ill break and eat the whole jar in 2 days...I just steer clear now...Gotta know your limits and boundaries
  • brownfoxy21
    brownfoxy21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love cheese waaaay to much to give it up. I think my first word as a baby was cheese. My parents always tell stories of me going around saying can I have a piece of cheese pleeeease. So no, can't give that up. I have been using those little spreadable wedges lately though and they are only 25 cals a serving. Aldi has a brand called Happy Farms and it comes in different flavors. Its really good and I used it on my sandwich (I just have to toast the bread a little bit first). Its a great alternative when you are watching calories.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I love cheese too but since I decided to start eating healthier and lose the weight, I've been careful with how much I have now. Although I am really bad when it comes to sour cream... like when I have tacos for dinner, I always put way too much sour cream. I need to stop that.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    thats a bummer. thats how i feel about bread. even the whole wheat stuff i will snack on til the cows come home. i havent had a piece of actual bread in i cant even remember how long. its been months. lol RIP to your cheese habit. i buy the prepackaged cheese sticks so my cravings are alittle more controlled.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The only food I have a problem with is sunflower seeds. I like to eat them while commuting, shoving a whole handful into my mouth an sucking all the salt off before starting to shell. I have to know that if I buy a bag, it will be gone within three days of commuting. It isn't the calories, but the salt that is so bad. Might explain why I lost 10 lbs my first week on mfp (after eating seeds the whole week prior). Yeah, I think I have bought a bag twice in the last 13 months. It is the only food I have a hard time rationing.
  • darla499
    Options

OMG we are related lol I am a cheese fanatic! I have been about 1 month cheese free and I have the urge to grab cheese everytime I go to the market! But my husband says no Val no cheese for you, and we laugh and I know I'll be alright.

Have you considered getting veggie cheese? I have tried the sliced kind and its very similar to the kraft slices in let's say a sandwich. But have not tried the shredded kind yet.

Wishing you luck!

I'm definitely going to try the veggie cheeses. The time has come :smile:
  • darla499
    Options
    Cheese is really tough because none of the substitutes I've tried are any good...mostly because they taste bad or they don't melt! Do the veggie shreds or Daiya cheese melt????

I heard that the Daiya cheese melts well.

It's worth a shot :smile:
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mmmm cheese. I can eat a whole block of cheddar jack in one sitting.
  • darla499
    Options
    My husband loves cheese - and he can't eat it because the fat is really bad for him and it makes him sick.

So, yeah, he had to walk away from it.

Now he eats SMOKED GOUDA in little tiny slivers. And he can manage to do that in little quantitites. And the strong taste is very satisfying.

Gouda.

Interesting.

I'm willing to try anything ... I just can't do anymore melty ... cheddary kind of yummy stuff :laugh:
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I blame cheese for a good portion of my weight gain. I will just get a small block of it here and there as a treat now. I do also eat the 25 calorie wedges. I don't buy laughing cow brand, too expensive. Aldi's has the same thing for a lot less.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I had to give up dairy altogether along with nearly all grains. I know the struggle. I still look at provolone or cream cheese and miss them. But I am learning.

I would love to have a good substitute but I haven't found an edible one yet.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, I refuse to give up anything.
    When I deprive myself, it makes me just crave it even more, and that's miserable.
    Life is to be lived.
  • darla499
    Options
    thats a bummer. thats how i feel about bread. even the whole wheat stuff i will snack on til the cows come home. i havent had a piece of actual bread in i cant even remember how long. its been months. lol RIP to your cheese habit. i buy the prepackaged cheese sticks so my cravings are alittle more controlled.

Yep ... bread was one of the things I had to give up too!

It's a long process of elimination if you're a binger like I can be :sad:
  • darla499
    Options
    I blame cheese for a good portion of my weight gain. I will just get a small block of it here and there as a treat now. I do also eat the 25 calorie wedges. I don't buy laughing cow brand, too expensive. Aldi's has the same thing for a lot less.

It was headed in that direction here.

Glad you're able to do the moderation thing.

I've found that in order for me to get over one of my trigger foods I have to just shun it completely until I don't miss it ... and then I can do it every once in a great while as a treat.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I also have this issue with most cheeses. When and it is not often I buy string cheese, I have to put them in freezer and I pack them for snacks in the morning so I will not eat the whole pack. This has worked for me so far. So I never start eating them in the house because otherwise I will binge on them.

I have not tried freezing other cheeses since this is the one I have the issue with. I can keep other cheese in the house and have only one piece and sometimes a half a slice.

Good job on finding a solution. You know what works for you so do whatever it takes to reach your goals. I hope this helps you on your journey! Keep up the good work!