The numbers are daunting...

Options
I hate numbers. I've never been a fan of math, and I dislike numbers in weight loss even more than I hated trig. How do you not get hung up on the numbers? I can see small things that are motivating, but at the same time, not seeing the needle move is frustrating. Today, i got up and I hadn't lost even a tenth of a pound since last week. I measured and it was nice to see my hips and waist had slightly decreased. I noticed my stretch marks are becoming less noticeable- many are no longer that angry red. But it still sucks when I see that the pounds aren't going away. I'm sure it'll change one of these days, but, as I sit here and chew on carrots and peppers, I just get frustrated that all my victories are NSV.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    And the scale matters why exactly?

Change your mindset about it. Nobody really cares what you weigh - how you look, and how you feel are the important things.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    And the scale matters why exactly?

Change your mindset about it. Nobody really cares what you weigh - how you look, and how you feel are the important things.

exactly...

if you suddenly fit into a smaller size and liked what you saw in the mirror and got a ton of compliments, would you still be mad if the number on some little box on the floor stayed the same number?

It is JUST a number.

The measuring tape and your clothing are the REAL victories.
    Put the scale away for a month.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think NSVs are the best!!! Congrats on yours!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Random people on the street don't carry scales around to check how much you weigh. They see what you look like. The number on the scale really has very little to do with your appearance.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The numbers DO matter when you're a small framed woman at 200 lbs. Number DO matter at that point. Doctors don't give a flying rat's a** about the tape measure. You can be eating well and working out, but as soon as you step onto that scale, the "you need to lose some weight" line comes out. I get the "you're lying" look whenever I tell them that yes, I'm exercising and eating well. So yes, the numbers DO matter however little you would like them to be important.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Worry less. Stress is not a weight loser.
    Work and be active more. Eat a little less. Take your time.
    You can do it. It is math, with some minor variables.
  • Missita84
    Missita84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, for sure. For me, the most difficult thing is just knowing how long everything's going to take. No matter how hard I try, or how closely I stick to my plan, it's going to take time for me to reach my goal. And I'm not a patient person, at the best of times.
    But, though it's frustrating, it's the reality. So yes, the numbers do matter. But it takes time for your work to be reflected in the numbers, and all you can do is keep doing what you're doing, and be patient. I know it's easier said than done! I always tell myself that I'm making a healthy change for myself, and that even if the scale never moves again I've still made a positive change in how I live....but that doesn't stop me from wanting the scale to say what I want it to!
  • saniyah1
    saniyah1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are doing it! You might not see results the way you want to but be patient you will when your not looking for it. Just feel good about yourself and continue. It took us all a while to put the weight on now we must be patient to get it off. We are here for each other forget that scale you already took the first and most important step. It will change don't look ;)
  • ironanimal
    Options
    The numbers DO matter when you're a small framed woman at 200 lbs. Number DO matter at that point. Doctors don't give a flying rat's a** about the tape measure. You can be eating well and working out, but as soon as you step onto that scale, the "you need to lose some weight" line comes out. I get the "you're lying" look whenever I tell them that yes, I'm exercising and eating well. So yes, the numbers DO matter however little you would like them to be important.

BMI was conceived in around 1840. No joke. Your Doctor is running on very outdated information if they care about that; my Dr. here in the UK has long since abandoned it and he's been practicing for over 30 years. Maybe you do need to lose weight, but if the tape measure tells you you are...then you are.

Your Dr. telling you you're lying is disgusting, but that's a discussion for another day.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    The measuring tape and your clothing are the REAL victories.
    Put the scale away for a month.
    [/quote]

OMG !!! I"M DOING THAT this month!.. I really am and I'm going to weigh in at my weight loss group blind every week!
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I know how you feel. I haven't lost a single ounce or inch in a month. I am eating healthy and being active. When you do everything right and nothing changes it makes you want to wig out. I'm short and short people are unlucky when it comes to weight because even 5 pounds is noticeable on us.

Try to relax. You will reach your goal weight. We can totally do this.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The scale and the tape are not always going to move together. Sometimes you might not have any pounds lost, but you will have inches lost. As long as one of them is moving lower, then you are doing things right.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    I don't even weigh myself constantly. I do it weekly. Everyone says take it slow and that you didn't put the weight on that fast, so you've got to expect it to come off slow. Well, mine DID come on quickly. I gained forty pounds in six months after my thyroid stopped working right. I've been fighting this for five freaking years. It's depressing. And it's depressing to know that I'm going to be walking into that damn office and be told once again that I'm obviously not doing what I'm supposed to be doing because if I was, I would see a difference..
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You may need to change things up a bit. What worked for me on week one, didn't work in week three. I have to keep my body guessing. Try breakfast for dinner, etc. Maybe even a moderate "cheat" cheat day is in order. Switch up your cardio and strength training.

I second the person who said "don't stress". Stress is the worst for weight loss. If you have not considered it, I highly recommend regular massage therapy for both stress reduction and supporting the changes in your muscles and soft tissues. I am a licensed therapist and work with lots of athletes, weekend warriors, and those taking steps to improve their health such as losing weight, eating better, etc. Massage will not make you lose weight, but it can be a wonderful compliment to your journey. The biggest thing is to know that you are with a professional therapist and you will not be judged in any way. A good therapist will support and encourage you.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I know exactly what you mean. People are asking if I've lost weight since I started lifting heavy, because I'm looking better, but the scale isn't moving. And hey, it's great that I'm getting stronger, fitter, blah blah blah, but I'll never be able to work out enough to LOOK like I'm 125 when I'm really 180 (and 5'2"). So the numbers DO matter at times. I'm just trying to balance it out, eat clean most of the time and work out hard more days than not, and trust that I will shrink over time. But I need to be in this for the long haul, and it can be frustrating and discouraging when, like you say, all your victories are NSVs!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I just started counting calories again three weeks ago, and was so excited because it is normally easy for me to lose weight as long as I track what I eat. Three weeks later...not even 1 pound was lost. Today, I stepped on the scale, and WHA-LA! Four pounds gone! Hang in there and remember that your body has to catch up with you. Weight loss is not a perfect slope, it has it's ups, downs, and plateaus. But it will happen in the end.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    I don't even weigh myself constantly. I do it weekly. Everyone says take it slow and that you didn't put the weight on that fast, so you've got to expect it to come off slow. Well, mine DID come on quickly. I gained forty pounds in six months after my thyroid stopped working right. I've been fighting this for five freaking years. It's depressing. And it's depressing to know that I'm going to be walking into that damn office and be told once again that I'm obviously not doing what I'm supposed to be doing because if I was, I would see a difference..
    First of all, I really think you should find a new Dr. if their only advice after 5 years is "Liar liar, pants on fire!".

Secondly, what ARE you doing? If you have suppressed thyroid function - and I don't often say this - you may need to eat a bit less than what you are at the moment. In terms of exercise, what are you doing, and what do you do during the majority of the day?
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    Ironanimal, this is the fourth doctor. I'm a vet and my health care has not been in the best of hands. This last one finally allowed me to up my dosage on my thyroid medication. Most days, I do cardio dance- usually an hour at a time, 5 to 7 days a week. I've been adding 45 min of kettle bells in three days a week. The rest of the time during the day, I'm either on my feet or on the floor with my two young kids. I really don't have any down time until the evening after dinner, though even with all that, I kept my activity level as "light" on here because I wanted to underestimate rather than overestimate. I keep refined sugars to a minimum. I eat a lot of raw vegetable. I eat a lot of lean protein. I keep processed food to a minimum. The worst thing I do is my wine at night. I drink at least my 64 oz of water every day. I'm absolutely diligent about weighing and measuring my food. If I eat it, it goes into my diary.