Smoothies

Options
When I first started on this site 2 weeks ago I was eating straight fruit for breakfast. Now that strawberries are in season I had them and a banana almost every morning. However, even though I had cut and weighed out the allowance for each day in advance I wasn't always eating them for breakfast and the mess of taking them to work (I work on a computer keyboard and can't snack on a sticky fruit between customers) seemed frustrating. So I decided to put them in a Smoothie.

I now place 200 grams of strawberries, 1 medium banana, 6 ice cubs and 1/2 cup milk in a 16 oz blender cup and wiz it away for 30 seconds then I'm off to work to drink my breakfast if needed even at my counter.

I am not interested in weird flax seed or kale/veggie smoothies but does anyone else have any other good smoothie recipes? I am trying a chocolate/coffee banana one for breakfast tomorrow but wondered what other recipes you might all have. I prefer using fresh organic fruits with no sugar (the banana seems to add natural sugar enough). I would love to get some ideas on protein additives without the classic protein powder or raw egg. Any other ideas?

Replies

• SteffieSunshine
    SteffieSunshine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did that tonight! Banana, strawberries, skim milk and ice, but I added some blueberries. Delish!

I know several people also make the smoothie with OJ instead of milk. I feel that would be too much sugar, and acid.
  • dogberry3
    dogberry3 Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree, I think OJ would have too much sugar/calories without the fiber as well. Maybe a whole orange though?

And I don't use skim milk in mine I use 2% because I am a proper Wisconsin Dairy state girl and used to drink whole so I figure the downgrade to 2% is going to have to do for me!
  • Lilie555
    Lilie555 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have one of those MagicBullet Blenders. Its like so amazing! Now when ever I want to eat something healthy, with lots of vitamins, I just make a smoothie.

I usually put whatever fruits I can find... like bananas, apples, watermelon, blueberries, cherrys, pears, plums, kiwis, apricots, just all kind of fruits. and just mix them together.
    So mostly I do just all fruits, and some ice, but sometimes I add yogurt too.

YUUUUMMMYYYYY!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I add a third of a cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt and Grape Nuts cereal along with a couple teaspoons of chia seeds to my smoothies. The cereal adds a "cookies and cream" like texture and the chia adds a bit more of the grittiness that that I enjoy in a fresh fruit smoothie.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like to use frozen blueberries or bananas or pineapple in place of ice then add fresh fruit and some spinach (can't taste it). For liquid I like unsweetened almond breeze and V8 diet berry Splash.
  • Prettygeekz
    Prettygeekz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just started this one and its soooo good!!

1 cup almond milk (original, unsweetened)
    1 tablespoon almond butter (creamy, organic, raw, unsalted)
    1 scoop of Vanilla protein powder (if you're into protein powder)
    1/2 banana
    1 teaspoon of agave Nectar (optional) but its a natural sweetener! for those who need it.
    AND of course ice

If you're not into protein powder it still taste good without the vanilla protein!

ENJOY im also looking for different ones i can try because iam not a breakfast person AT ALL
  • Prettygeekz
    Prettygeekz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have one of those MagicBullet Blenders. Its like so amazing! Now when ever I want to eat something healthy, with lots of vitamins, I just make a smoothie.

I usually put whatever fruits I can find... like bananas, apples, watermelon, blueberries, cherrys, pears, plums, kiwis, apricots, just all kind of fruits. and just mix them together.
    So mostly I do just all fruits, and some ice, but sometimes I add yogurt too.

YUUUUMMMYYYYY!

I have it too and i love it! its worth every dime.
  • brooke7ia
    brooke7ia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only use no sugar added frozen fruits AND then I freeze any bananas that are getting overripe to add in to cut the sweet. Then for my "liquid," I use vitaminwater zero. It doesn't add on the calories/sugar like OJ, milk or yogurt does. :)
  • Vibette
    Vibette Posts: 9
    Options
    Chocolate + peanut butter (make it natural PB for good fats)

pineapple juice + oj + protein = my favorite!! (you can throw in a banana if you want)

I know you said nothing weird, but I put spinach in my smoothies. You CANNOT taste, but it does make it very green! Super healthy food for you. Try like 1/2 cup of it if it scares you.... you won't taste it!

I've also "hidden" carrots in smoothies. As long as your blender will handle blending it completely and not leave chunks!
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i know you said you dont want flaxseed in yours but walgreens carries a flaxseed oil that you dont taste at all

i use 1 cup frozen fruit (dole tropical fruit blend is only 70 calories per 1 cup), 1 banana, 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil and the liquid is whatever i happen to have on hand (almond milk, lite apple juice, water. just enough to make it smooth) blend away!
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of "if you can't taste it, ok"....

I LOVE adding celery to apple/pineapple smoothies, simply because it takes down the acidity levels of those fruits and makes it easier on the belly in the morning.

Also, I know it comes out funky colored, but strawberries, blueberries, spinach and orange juice are probably my favorite smoothie in the world. I get my spinach from our local farmers market and it is usually toooooo much to eat just as salads (borrrring) so I sneak a handful into almost any fruity drink and I never even taste it.

Carrots are another good one (make sure your blender is glass tho-especially if it's taking on ice cubes)
    Carrots are naturally sweet and if you like texture, you can blend your smoothie a little less and get something that fruits usually don't always have the structure of. My favorite carrot combo would be carrots, raspberries, strawberries and black berries with a fresh sprig of Mint , fresh Basal OR lemon. (not all three)

I always make my smoothies with OJ or apple J or Cran J. just because I'm not a big fan of ice chunks. It's awesome tho if you use your ice cube tray and make juice cubes in place of the ice cubes. SO MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF SMOOTHIES, possibilities are endless! Great topic!

I'd like to possibly try a black bean smoothie, but it would have to be VERY highly recommended and very convincing for me to actually try it.

Sometimes the best smoothies come from combinations of sweet things and not sweet things!
  • vibrantval
    vibrantval Posts: 46
    Options
    One of my fave smoothies will always be OJ, Spinach, and Ice! Yummy!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like a water and mud smoothie.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you put just a few greens in your smoothie you won't see or taste them. I put in blue berries, strawberries, a small banana, and a few leaves of kale or collard greens and I don't even taste them. You can also add a nutrition powder like supergreens or protein powder to increase the calorie/usefulness of your smoothie. I am vegan so I add vegan protein powder if I'm having it as a meal, but if not I leave it out to cut the calories.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a smoothie in a while, but I want to try:
    Unsweetened coconut milk, pineapple and frozen banana. Maybe berries, too.
    In the winter I enjoy: 1 apple with skin, 1 orange, 1/2 banana, spinach, parsley, lemon juice and 1 date (or stevia for sweetness.)
    Enjoy!
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    I use 3 cups cold water, 2 ice cubes, half package of pure trim milk chocolate Mediterranean wellness shake, 200 g frozen bananas, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 handful frozen spinach, and lately 2 tbsp Chocolate PB2 powder! Amazing!! I also use their Rich N creamy vanilla shake, 1/2 package, with all the same stuff, minus the PB2 powder, and then I add vanilla extract to it too (:

Edit* u can also add vanilla almond milk to them too, SO GOOD!
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I always add flax and protien powder. I do dig bannana with chocolate protien powder with a spoon of peanut butter
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I will use berries(Blueberries, strawberries,raspberries, black berries), yogurt, oj or water, and ice. I also added some Carnation Instant drink mix powder to give it more creamy consistency last time I made a smoothie.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I would suggest cottage cheese or Greek yogurt (plain) for protein, if you don't want a powder form of protein. I use both cottage cheese and Fage Greek yogurt in my smoothies/shakes.

FYI - I have read about Xanthan gum but it is expensive, so I haven't bought any yet. I wish you could buy a small amount, but I haven't found it in a small package yet.

Xanthan gum- imparts no flavor to smoothies, but make the shakes thicker and creamier. It is not necessary to use the gum in smoothies, but it does improve the consistency and volume.
  • dogberry3
    dogberry3 Posts: 21
    Options

I know you said nothing weird, but I put spinach in my smoothies. You CANNOT taste, but it does make it very green! Super healthy food for you. Try like 1/2 cup of it if it scares you.... you won't taste it!

The think is I like spinach as spinach. So I don't really want it in a smoothie cause I can eat it raw in a salad or cooked for dinner and really enjoy the flavour of it. For me I can ALWAYS taste veggies in smoothies and I just don't like them in a smoothie. I'm also the kind that never liked veggie juices but then I can eat veggies whole and cooked so I just get my nutrients there instead.