What's best 1.Tdee -20%. BMR or MFP & exercise cals

Options
Hi what's best
Eating exercise calories

Eating -20% of TDEE

Eating BMR

Zig Zagging

I'm having problems losing weight it's up one week down the next?

Exercise calories no calculator fitbit HRM is accurate so how do we know how much we are burning

Anyone ?

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Eating BMR works perfectly for me. Although I sometimes I never hit it, I'm damn close.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories no calculator fitbit HRM is accurate so how do we know how much we are burning

Anyone ?

what?
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Anyone ?

what?

The calculations on here and other sites say we burn X amount of calories when everyone is different , my fitbit and HRM say totally different reading for calories burned

So how do we know the exact amount we burn
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I prefer TDEE - 15/20%. Sorry BMR is just too low for me and my activity. And HRM can be pretty accurate!
  • sandown12
    Options
    Eating BMR works perfectly for me. Although I sometimes I never hit it, I'm damn close.

BMR didn't work for me nor -20% TDEE or 1200 nor upping it?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

BMR didn't work for me nor -20% TDEE or 1200 nor upping it?

how much time was involved witheach? and always go with hrm or fitbit, the estimates for calories burned here are absurdly high
  • whitefang66
    whitefang66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i use HRM, and my daily burn is around 1100-1200cals when exercising. My TDEE is around 2100 cals without exercise, so i use 1200 as my base calories, + whatever i burn in exercise. I rarely hit go over the aggregate, usually only on gym rest days, i;ve lost 24lbs in 8 weeks. its slowed now, but thats the way it goes...u cant drop a few ounces a day, usually i find it stabilises for a few days then drops after 7-10 days again. probably doesnt help you :-)
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    To reach my goal and break my plateau, I did my TDEE - 500 cal deficit to lose. I also wore a heart rate monitor and measured my food for more accurate calorie consumption.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and use the 15% cut figure. You need to give it time - don't do it for a week and give up, give your body a chance to get accustomed to whatever method you decide to use.

Make sure you're honest with yourself about your activity level - it's easy to underestimate because we're scared of eating more calories. I do use a HRM but don't 'use' the number unless my burn is over 400 calories which would NET me lower than my BMR.

I just find the way I've been doing it an easier way. Just having the same calorie goal for each day.

You can check my profile - I've listed how much I've lost over the weeks. Basically I've been eating this way and at this level for 10 weeks and lost just over 5lbs. I'm happy with the average of 1/2lb a week loss and best of all I've lost inches too :)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself

Do your regular exercise for a week

Log absolutely every calorie you consume

Weigh yourself at the end of the week

If you lost the amount of weight that week you want to take that as your calorie allowance for the week. If you lost less drop your calorie limit by 3,500 per week per lb extra you want to lose. If you lost more than you wanted raise your calorie limit by 3,500 per week per lb.

Repeat the check every week to start with and once you are getting a bit more consistent you can run checks every month or so.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options

The calculations on here and other sites say we burn X amount of calories when everyone is different , my fitbit and HRM say totally different reading for calories burned

So how do we know the exact amount we burn

fitbit is based on movement.
    HRM is based on heart rate.

go with your HRM. if it's a decent one, it should be dang close to correct.
    If you don't have a decent one... invest in one.
  • sandown12
    Options
    I have started on 1310 cals then lowered to 1200 was told eat more gradually upped it weekly over 6 weeks highest was 1785 cals

I work out 5-6 days a week walk & have a semi active job

But some weeks I gain 1-1.5lbs then next week lose 1lbs this is = 1-2lb loss over 4 weeks :(

I'm lof everything weigh measure everything never eat exercise calories

I'm eating at BMR zig zagged this week

I'm 42
    Female
    5ft 2
    198lbs
    Goal 136lbs

Have got blood test this week to see if my thuroids working right as my mums isn't and I'm very tired

Getting :( with the weightloss

Thanks
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I have started on 1310 cals then lowered to 1200 was told eat more gradually upped it weekly over 6 weeks highest was 1785 cals

But some weeks I gain 1-1.5lbs then next week lose 1lbs this is = 1-2lb loss over 4 weeks :(

I'm 42
    Female
    5ft 2
    198lbs
    Goal 136lbs

Have got blood test this week to see if my thuroids working right as my mums isn't and I'm very tired

Thanks

ya...I went through this ...up 1 pound then down 1... then up....it sucks...plough through it, get your results...reevaluate...good luck
  • sandown12
    Options

I'm 42
    Female
    5ft 2
    198lbs
    Goal 136lbs

Thanks

ya...I went through this ...up 1 pound then down 1... then up....it sucks...plough through it, get your results...reevaluate...good luck

What did you do? Did you start losing regularly, eventually?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Nobody should be eating at their BMR, EVER!!!

Especially if you are working out regularly this. This Is totally counterproductive.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    open your diary - maybe someone can give a tip on that side?
    Are you measuring what you eat? Drinking your water? Having too much salt?
    Are you cooking with oil? Last time I was trying to lose weight I discovered that my version of sauteeing veggies was adding 300-500 calories!!
    Also, little things like adding milk to coffee/tea, or taking bites throughout the day can make a big difference.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I'm 42
    Female
    5ft 2
    198lbs
    Goal 136lbs

Thanks

What did you do? Did you start losing regularly, eventually?

well I made two huge changes which I am NOT telling anyone to do...I completely cut out all grain products and started intermittent fasting....I know that it all comes down to calories in and calories out and all that but when I cut out grains I not only dropped some stubborn pounds but also had other benefits...the intermittent fasting just suits me I guess...I fond it very convenient to not have to eat in the morning and until after my workout
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have lost 52 pounds in the last year and this is what I have done - limited calories to 1200 - 1700 a day depending upon situation and hunger. I exercise for 7 - 8 hours every week. I take classes at my gym - switch it up. spinning, running, walking, elliptical, kickboxing, interval training, step aerobics, and my favorite - Zumba. I do not factor my exercise into my calorie count - just base what I eat on my range and how I am feeling hunger wise that day. I also eat some of the same foods every day. I usually always eat 1/4 cup oatmeal with 1/2 cup water, cinammon, 2 T dried fruit, and 1 T ground flax seed for breakfast, homemade soup or salad with chicken for lunch, and a protein, veggie and a carb for dinner. I also eat fruit twice a day and if I am having a hungry day I snack on a fiber one brownie, cottage cheese, or greek yogurt. I also have celery and cucumbers with balsamic vinegar as freebees. If I have a small bag of chips at lunch or some goldfish crackers in the afternoon, I just factor that into my daily calorie intake. I do not think that fasting is a good answer. Trying to stick to a calorie range is more realistic, and it has worked for me. I DO NOT have trigger foods in my house EVER, because I will eat them until they are gone, but I do allow them in a controlled setting, like a small bag of chips when I am out or at a friend's house so there is no chance of binging on them. I hope this helps.
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Scales don't give account of your body's composition by weight between water, muscle and fat. If you are exercising as vigorously as you are you would have built and are continuing to build some muscle, which weighs more than fat. Also the process of building/toning muscle involves tearing the existing muscle followed by repair. For this to occur the body retains water at the injured muscle site. Water retention due to muscle repair following strenuous exercise, maintains and occasionally raises the weight shown on the scales. This is temporary as once your increased exercise drill has built muscle to match and you are in maintenance mode you will find that the scales will suddenly drop as no more water retention. I suggest a couple of things to help put your mind at ease:

- Take body measurements to see how you are progressing with body shape. Scales don't ever give you the full picture of what is happening internally,

- For quicker muscle repair, and less water retention, have a protein whey drink within half an hour of finishing your workout. Make sure that it is high in protein min 20gm, low in total carbs max 5gm, and low in calories max 200kcal. Drink plenty of water as well.

I also take B group vitamins, fish oil, multivitamin, and C to help my body cope with the added stress of exercise and food restriction.

Finally, consider your liver and it's capacity to process fat. Dandelion root tea is both a diuretic and a strong liver tonic. Green tea raises metabolism. Drink both at least once a day.

Absolute final note, look at foods that work in synch regarding fat removal. Psyllium is better at absorbing fats and bad cholesterol than oats (which is a grain). Soy lecithin is an emulsifier, meaning it liquifies solidified fat so it is easier for the body to eliminate on a weight loss diet. LSA (linseed, sunflower seed and almond) helps the liver repair itself in doing the stressful work of processing stored/excess fat and other toxins. Chia seeds are a power food with protein, antioxidants, calcium etc to help with satiety and diminishing hunger. For a meal I mix all of these with water before adding diced orange and apple with Greek yoghurt, added probiotics (to be sure!) and cinnamon (delays sugar absorption). Have been steady with weight loss, no complaints...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I prefer the TDEE - 20% for a few reasons.

1 - I have no accurate way of measuring my exercise burn so would not be eating back the right amount of calories.

2 - MFP would give me 1200 before exrecise, and I cannot eat that low.

3 - I prefer eating the same amount every day, it's easier to plan,

4 - Eating teh same amount each day is natural calorie cycling, as your Net calories will actually be different each day depending on how much you have exercised/moved around.