Fellow Joggers! I am looking for some inspiration.

Options
Hello Fellow Joggers!

Thank you for stopping by and reading this thread. I am a c25k'er (done with week 4) but more of a jogger than a runner. I have viewed some wonderful results that people have had since they began jogging or running but I am the kind of person who needs a little more "go get em'" support. I have been jogging everyday for 2 weeks now and I have begun to see my body shrink (which is good inspiration), however I am hoping that possibly I can have your stories on what weight you started with and how long it has taken you to get where you are today. As in - how much weight you have lost through jogging or running and how long it had taken you to get there.

I am currently 216lbs (but I'm only 3 lbs down from where I began) =^( so the need for inspiration is there. I mean 3lbs in 2 weeks? Comon'!! Really!?!?!
I would really appreciate any "look at me now's" that you would be willing to share with me.

Please and Thank you.

Replies

• osutuba
    osutuba Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Jogging = running, so therefore you are a runner! Be proud! :-)

I started running when I hit 165-160ish. This is my 3rd year of running and I'm at 148, but this is the first year that I also started watching my calories. I was hovering around 155 for a really long time.

I've run 3 half marathons and am training for my 4th. When training for a half marathon I will average 20-25 miles per week. Otherwise I hover in the teens during the winter - aka running maintenance period. That's the time when I focus more on strength and will take more group classes.

I love running, even though I'm not as fast as I want to be (my last half was 2 hours and 31 minutes, just shy of my sub 2:30 goal!). I'm a more confident person since I started running, and I can get more accomplished in any given day. I feel proud of myself, even when I wear my compression shorts that make my butt look weird.

Enjoy running! I know it can be hard and frustrating at times, but there are also really good days. Focus on how running makes you feel and know that you are also building muscle and possibly storing some water, so at times the scale could tell evil, nasty lies. :-) My weight always goes up a little when I first get back into running after taking time off. It goes back down eventually.

Once you are ready, enter some local races. They're really fun AND you get a free shirt. :-D
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you osutuba,

I do feel really great after my daily jog, I will admit that it takes a lot of motivation to get past 10 minutes for me but maybe its because I have not been doing it very long.
    So you jog for 2 and a half hours? No walking during a marathon? Haha, pardon me for not knowing anything about it.
    I love the Disney Land/World picture by the way, I am taking my son there next year (the one in Florida).

Thanks for sharing the information with me. I wondered why I have been holding onto water. It's made absolutely no sense to me why I am physically slimming but the scale is not really moving down. I'm sure in time it will vanish, or at least I hope so!
    Thank you for replying to me! I appreciate you!
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi!! And congrats on starting to run!! I used to run alot but made a major life change and got out of it. Started again about 2 weeks ago. I tried running at 204 lbs but I just couldnt do it. So after I lost about 35 lbs I started again. I am doing 2 1/2 miles now and feel great!! The first week into it I had my first no weight lost week since I started this journey but it is dropping again pretty steady. My advice is to get some GOOD running shoes. Makes a world of difference. Just remember....you will burn calories but the health benefits are FANTASTIC!! I never had a weight issue when I ran before even tho at that time I always thought I did. So keep putting one foot in front of the other and just DO IT!!!
  • ambercholtz
    Options
    Chigger56,

Thank you for your response. I will certainly keep it going everyday (except when I take off for vacation) and keep in mind that the weight will come off.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started the Couch to 5k about 3 months ago, completed the first couple of weeks but then increased the intensity ahead of schedule as I felt I could manage it. When I first started I really struggled with the "running 60secs" bit and my rest time inbetween nearly doubled! But as time has gone on I now realise it's not a case of sprinting inbetween resting - more jogging at a comfy pace so you don't burn out so quickly!

I signed upto Race for Life at the end of July (5k) and have been working towards that as my goal. The last two weeks I've been getting adventurous running and trying a few new routes, and when I get back I map how far i've ran and it's increasing steadily (I did my first 8k last night!) so fingers crossed this 5k will feel relatively easy by comparison.

As for weightloss - I've been stuck for ages at 155lbs (like another poster)... I mean literally months, but it's because honestly I've only been half attempting to be "good"... ie I log but I pick too, so I guess that's why I've been staying the same. However, since upping my runs to 3 - 4 long ones a week instead of just 3 short ones, and having combined it with eating very healthy meals (and the odd naughty treat) I'm seeing a loss again. I don't officially weigh in until tomorrow but if I stay the same I'll have lost 1.5lbs this week which is very good for me!

I've just bought myself some proper running shoes too and honestly they are amazing. I didn't realise how much easier it would feel - when I start getting tired my legs feel really heavy and I can feel the impact in my knees... and going up hills was a proper trudge... however on my long run last night I could feel how they took the extra impact from my knees meaning my legs hurt less and I could keep a better pace. I also get a nice breeze through them which was a surprise lol.

I'm aiming to run the 10k Race for Life next, and then hopefully a half marathon. I can honestly say I NEVER would have imagined being a runner, but now I've got over the first couple of tricky months learning how to do it, it's now so much easier and more enjoyable. And I am getting wicked thigh and calf muscles :wink:

If you've come this far, don't give up - give it 3mths and I assure you your stamina will have dramatically improved and by then you'll find each run easier and easier. I used to worry going out that I'd look silly, not manage it, get lost etc... But now I get that itchy feeling that I NEED to get out for an hrs peace. Feel free to add me if you want :flowerforyou:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I started C25K on in January at 154 and finished in February. I was doing Ripped in 30 throughout January, and since have moved on to kettlebell workouts on my non run days. I lost 20 pounds from January to May (when I reached goal) - somewhat slow, but not really, since I was in a healthy weight range that whole time (just barely to start out with).

Now I am up to around 15 miles a week (2 4-5 mile runs, and a longer run on weekends). Between that and kettlebells, I have really seen awesome results. Down to a size 4 - showing good muscle definition, etc.

Keep at it!!
  • ambercholtz
    Options
    "since upping my runs to 3 - 4 long ones a week instead of just 3 short ones, and having combined it with eating very healthy meals (and the odd naughty treat) I'm seeing a loss again. I don't officially weigh in until tomorrow but if I stay the same I'll have lost 1.5lbs this week which is very good for me!" - niknak2308

That is awesome! Right now I am jogging daily but I can only jog 20 minutes straight before I need a walk, then I can pick up again and jog some more. Hopefully I will get to 45 minutes without a walk, that right now is my ultimate goal. You sound like you're doing great! What a nice story and thank you for sharing!

"Now I am up to around 15 miles a week (2 4-5 mile runs, and a longer run on weekends). Between that and kettlebells, I have really seen awesome results. Down to a size 4 - showing good muscle definition, etc. "

15 miles a week sounds like a lot to me right now! Amazing! Haha, I cannot even imagine being in a size 4! Awesome story and thanks for sharing!