Chia Seeds

Options
I tried Chia seeds today because they were recommended by a friend. They sound very nutritious with 6 g of fiber per tablespoon, 105 g potassium, and tons of Omega 3 and 6 (especially since I don't eat fish). If you put them in a glass of water, they gel up and suspend like those boba beads, and its smooth to drink, not like a fiber drink at all. Supposedly you can even use them in place of eggs as a thickener. But they are 85 calories per serving (tablespoon)5 g fat--only .5g saturated. Is it really worth it to add them to my diet?

Replies

• darkchocolate68
    Options
    Everyones dietary needs are different. I find eating chia seeds daily worth it to me. I have been eating them for almost a year and would hate to be with out them. The omega benefit is great. I also eat flax seeds, eat 1 T of each daily.

Here is a great website that talks about the benefits of chia seed.
    http://www.healthy-eating-guidelines.net/chia-seeds.html
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Can you elaborate on the benefits of flax???
  • darkchocolate68
    Options

The website I mentioned explains it better than I ever could.
  • harleigh67
    harleigh67 Posts: 131
    Options

The website I mentioned explains it better than I ever could.

GREAT ANSWER!!!! I also eat both either in a protein drink or on salad or in yogurt...but I will add use ground flax seeds so the body can process them, it does not break down whole seed! Whole Chia can be broken down by the body!
  • cbearce
    cbearce Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the web site. It is very informative. :smile:
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I add both to my oatmeal in the mornings or smoothies if I don't have oatmeal. I have noticed a great difference in my mood, my hair and my skin. And yes get ground flaxseed and ensure it's stored in the fridge or it goes rancid.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I am so sorry, I misread your post. The website was about chia and you asked about flax seed. I can't right now, but I will get you some websites with the information.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I add both chia and flax to my morning oatmeal. Love the fiber and Omegas!
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to chia is to make it into a chocolate tapioca-like pudding:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/01/chocolate-chia-pudding-and-other-sugar-free-flour-free-desserts.html

Use a high quality cocoa powder and it makes a delicious and nutricious treat :) I tried adding them to my oatmeal, but they are so filling, I couldn't finish my usual serving. To me, ground flax tastes a little fishy, but I have a pretty sensitive palate.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Chia seeds. These are another almost tasteless superfood, but they have SO many health benefits! Chia seeds are high in fiber, calcium, omega-3s and antioxidants. According to this source, a single serving of chia seeds (1 tbsp) has 6x the calcium of milk, 3x more iron than spinach, and 3x the antioxidants of blueberries. Pretty impressive.

http://www.superseeds.ca/ss1/nutriants.html
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    LOVE chia seeds! LOVE flax!! LOVE the raw, wholesome, nutritious pudding that one can make out of chia seeds! YUM!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Everyones dietary needs are different. I find eating chia seeds daily worth it to me. I have been eating them for almost a year and would hate to be with out them. The omega benefit is great. I also eat flax seeds, eat 1 T of each daily.

Here is a great website that talks about the benefits of chia seed.
    http://www.healthy-eating-guidelines.net/chia-seeds.html
    Ditto. I have a half and half jar (half chia half flax) that I scoop onto my yogurt.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds!!!! I add a tbsp to my oatmeal every morning. But it's only 60 kcal per tablespoon according to the nutrition label on the bag I have in my pantry.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    which is better? Chia or linseed? x
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who feels GROSS all day when i eat them? ick.
  • dmarie303
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I'm new and adjusting to eating fewer calories so I was debating whether the chia/flax was worth it too but after seeing all the great links, I will stick with it.