special k diet, does it work?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has done the special k diet. I thought about doing it, but i wanted to know if it really works.

Replies

• ChanniVincent
    Options
    Its too expensive I find. I eat special K fat free cereal every morning topped with fruit. I sometimes buy special K snacks if there on sale, but just by eating the cereal, eating healthy and exercise I lost about 25 pounds in 3 months.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    It doesn't work.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone has done the special k diet. I thought about doing it, but i wanted to know if it really works.

Does it involve eggs, bacon, seafood, a shedload of meat and veggies?

If so, I'm in ;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Check the box carefully, you'll see the serving size is miniscule. I don't know about you, but trying to last for hours on a couple of spoonfuls of milk and a sprinkle of cereal isn't going to work for me.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't find anything about Special K satisfying/filling. Instead of this kind of diet, I recommend just modifying what you're eating now. Portion control and healthy alternatives really work. May take more time, but they're easier to sustain going forward.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It "works" like any meal replacement diet - by creating a calorie deficit without you really having to think about what you can/should/want to eat. You can create a calorie deficit on your own, eating whatever foods you like. Chances are if you are replacing two meals with two bowls of Special K, you won't be getting enough calories overall - unless you make up for it with other meals. The deficit might be bigger than ideal. Also, you may not be getting a very good balance of macro-nutrients. Finally, I'm not a big fan of these kinds of diets because they don't really teach you anything about making better food choices. You don't have to make any decisions for those two meals a day - just have the bowl of cereal. So, you're not really getting into good habits.

It's not the worst diet you could go on, but I don't see it as something that's very healthy long-term, or sustainable. It's also a marketing gimmick to make you buy more Special K. :smile:
  • Bobbi_N
    Bobbi_N Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the diet. But my favorite snack is chips, so I use the Special K cracker chips as a replacement and I eat the cereal occasionally for breakfast. Next time I need to buy cereal though, I'm going to see if there are lower sodium options available.
  • volatileskin
    volatileskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no. unless you really love special k .. or actually still no, 'cause you barely get to eat any.

it's just another fad, and not something you can sustain in the long run.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    No.

You're essentially only eating 900 calories or something like that a day, and the "food" isn't all that real. Not a balanced diet, so you end up lacking essential nutrients. And of course after you go back to eating regular foods, you just end up gaining all the weight back because you were really just starving yourself.

Yes, I tried it years ago.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's a marketing scheme, not a diet.

Look at the ingredients, that should be enough o make you want to hurl, much less eat two bowls of it a day.

Replace those calories WITH ANYTHING ELSE WITH THE SAME CALORIES. HMMMM. I wonder if that would work the same? It boggles the mind.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    It would work just the same as eating what you want in moderation. Why limit yourself to mainly special K products when you could eat a variety of food, just in moderation?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It "works" like any meal replacement diet - by creating a calorie deficit without you really having to think about what you can/should/want to eat. You can create a calorie deficit on your own, eating whatever foods you like. Chances are if you are replacing two meals with two bowls of Special K, you won't be getting enough calories overall - unless you make up for it with other meals. The deficit might be bigger than ideal. Also, you may not be getting a very good balance of macro-nutrients. Finally, I'm not a big fan of these kinds of diets because they don't really teach you anything about making better food choices. You don't have to make any decisions for those two meals a day - just have the bowl of cereal. So, you're not really getting into good habits.

It's not the worst diet you could go on, but I don't see it as something that's very healthy long-term, or sustainable. It's also a marketing gimmick to make you buy more Special K. :smile:

Yeh, you might create a calorie deficit which may, or may not, work for you to shed weight ... Depending on your metabolic state, activity level and genetics.

But Christ, I agree with you, make cereal the centerpiece of daily nutrition? You are better off starving.

In fact, you are better off in a coma being fed by tubes, and you'd probably learn more about decent nutrition in this state too ...
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    Check the box carefully, you'll see the serving size is miniscule. I don't know about you, but trying to last for hours on a couple of spoonfuls of milk and a sprinkle of cereal isn't going to work for me.

1 Cup of cereal with fruit on top & something on the side holds me over great, thanks.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28lbs without modifying my diet too drastically. Knowledge of calories, MFP and a food scale have been my biggest tools.

The only reason why the Special K diet would work is because it creates a calorie deficit, just as a Twinkie diet would :)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All processed CRAPPPP!!!!!!

Use your money on whole fresh Fruits and veggies
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do you eat less calories than you burn? Then yes, it works. It's it fun, sustainable and healthy? Probably not.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's an absurd diet dependent on you buying their processed junk.
    No thanks.
    I don't do any kind of diets.
    Eating healthy 90% of the time is actually quite simple. I eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fruits and veggies.
    Simple deal.
    And once the lifestyle becomes habit, it gets easy.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I was gonna try it like 2 years ago... It was WAY to expensive.. Special K is yummy, I do like the cereal though. =) The 'Special K' and the 'Yoplait' Swap thing.. they are just ways for them to sell more product.. honestly it is easier to just go buy what ever food you want and eat the calories you have set =)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

1 Cup of cereal with fruit on top & something on the side holds me over great, thanks.

How nice for you.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    For you, no. For Kellogg's, certainly.