White or Wheat

Options
wgn4166
wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
I have always heard wheat is better than white, no matter what. I love to eat crackers with my salad, so after a few weeks of dieting, I decided to buy Wheat Saltines. I compared the calories and fat of both,white and wheat Saltines. The only difference?.....the wheat contained more sodium.
Really? Then why switch?
Your thoughts please.
Thanks
Wanda

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Personally, I don't think wheat is better. I'd stick to the white
  • donjoe1024
    donjoe1024 Posts: 30
    Options
    WIth Crackers it is a bit different, becasue of all the different things they use to make them. But with bread and cereals and stuff the fiber is more and it is better for your system as a whole. THat is what I have always heard whether it is true or not I can not say, it is just what I heard I would say if the only difference is the sodium, them there is no point to switch, but if you go to like wheat thins and stuff it may be a big difference and wheat is usually and easier thing to make and has less extras in it, take a look at the ingredients of them both once just to compare, just a though hope it helps. Have a great day
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat regular saltines, but wheat bread, tortillas, etc. For me, it's just a taste preference. I grew up eating wheat bread, and I just can't get myself to eat white bread unless it's in a pudgie pie over the campfire.
  • smagyarown
    smagyarown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is 'whole wheat'. I've notice that the nutrition labels on cheaper bread for both white and wheat is identical, even the fiber. and that's the main reason for wanting the wheat. The 'regular wheat' bread is just colored brown. Technically speaking, they're both made from wheat. Here is a link that may help"

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/diet-weight-loss/what-to-look-for-when-buying-bread-116101
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The key is real whole wheat. You can "enrich" flour and call it wheat, even if it's not whole wheat. Look at the rest of the label. If whole wheat isn't the first ingredient, it's not worth it (to me). Check out the carbs and fiber -- is there more dietary fiber and less sugar in the wheat version? If not, then it's been "wheat-washed" -- they've made enough superficial changes to call it wheat, but you're not getting any of the whole grain benefits.
    White vs. whole grain really does make a difference. It might not always be fewer calories, but it's so much more nutritious.
  • auntkk28
    auntkk28 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Look for low sodium and personally I look for for whole or sprouted grains over just looking at white or wheat. When reading labels always look for whole grain wheat flour or sprouted whole wheat as the first ingredient, otherwise it's a refined grain and not good for you:)
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love saltines, too. I don't waste my time on the whole wheat ones... they're like, saltine sacrilege or something. I just try to get enough fibre in other things in my diet.

There isn't always a whole heck of a lot of difference with stuff like crackers. It's hit and miss. You'd probably have better luck with brands you'd find in a natural foods store. I'm not a fan of whole wheat crackers that are just made with the flour, I like grainy ones. If I need the fibre, I want to enjoy it! Same goes for bread. The cheap, store brand, pre-sliced 60/80/100% Whole Wheat breads are just like the white, but with some bran thrown back in. Sometimes they add molasses for added brown colouring. The don't taste like they're worth the switch. I much prefer crusty, artisan type breads, both white and multigrain, that have some "chunkies" in there for texture (flax, sunflower seeds, etc). They're worth the extra couple of bucks (here, as far as pre-sliced goes, I looooooove Silver Hills sprouted grain breads.).
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Try triscuts instead, they are higher in fiber
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I don't know about crackers and stuff - but "whole" wheat in general isn't necessarily lower calories, but they fill you up for longer which in turn makes you eat less. :p
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Most "wheat" bread, tortillas, etc. are the same as white, just colored brown to look healthier. Check the labels and see what kind of ingredients are used and which flours. This is the brand of bread that I buy. All of these producted are sprouted-grain (grains that are soaked until they start to sprout) and are high in fiber and relatively low in calories. These products are kept frozen until they are used, and they last about a week before molding. That's another thing...if your bread isn't molding, it's chock-full of preservatives and IMO not that good for ya.

http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/ezekiel-49/breads
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This was so interesting to me b/c I've heard the same thing. I looked at one website and it looks like white products are actually bleached and are lacking many nutrients that whole wheat products would provide. Take a look and judge for yourself. http://www.naturally-healthy-eating.com/whole-foods.html