Losing weight too fast?

Options
I know that it is recommended to lose weight slowly in order to keep it off. I look at my own loss (23 pounds in 30 days) and worry that maybe its coming off too fast. I haven't done anything rediculous, though my change in eating habits has been drastic simply because I was eating so badly before. My job keeps me running so hard without breaks that I found it next to impossible to eat at work, then I would grab fast food (super sized of course) on my way home at 1 am and scarf it down before going to sleep. Then I was sleeping till noon and maybe eating something before I left for work or (again) grabbing some takeout on the way to eat quickly before I started work. The only liquids I ever drank was diet pop and I drank a lot of it (minimum 2 L a day). On May 30 I went cold turkey. I gave up all liquids except water and have had nothing but water ever since (I'm finding I actually like it now and don't miss the pop at all). I am also eating a lot more food now, every two hours no matter what I am doing (I have made a habit of bringing snacks with me everywhere I go). I cut out junk food completely and don't miss that one bit either. I'm finding I am never hungry any more, I'm liking the healthy food a lot more than the junk food and I'm feeling healthier than I have in years.

My question is...if I am eating and feeling great and not craving or hungry ever, is the weight loss still too fast? I want to lose the weight but I also want to be doing it right.

Replies

• Pinky1147
    Pinky1147 Posts: 105
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1300 to 1500 on average and not really exercising at all. My diary is open for all to see if you like.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    No, I think this happens especially if you were taking in a ton more calories that is needed. A friend of mine at work, not overweight at all decided to give up soda and lost 10 lbs in a week due to just giving up that one vice.

if you are giving up several and are very heavy than I don't think initially to drop a lot quickly is bad for you, I just wouldn't get discouraged when things start to slow.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No because you are starting out with a massive amount, so it's proportional. If you were starting out at say, 180 pounds and lost 23 pounds in a month, that would be problematic. Have you checked in with your doc?
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My doctor is monitoring me very closely and he said he is very happy with my progress. And I really do know it will slow down. I don't care how slow it goes as long as I keep getting healthier.
  • Pinky1147
    Pinky1147 Posts: 105
    Options
    My doctor is monitoring me very closely and he said he is very happy with my progress. And I really do know it will slow down. I don't care how slow it goes as long as I keep getting healthier.

great attitude!!! Keep up the good work!!
  • McSteve67
    McSteve67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are on the right track then!
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great, well done. To be able to turn around your eating habits so drastically and stick to it is very good

Also, your busy/active work hours will make an impact on your calorie burn I should think
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. If your doctor is working with you you should be fine. I agree that slow & steady wins the race but there is also a difference when the amounts to lose in general are more. Someone who only needs to lose 20lbs should be set to 1/2lb a week & slower loss than someone who needs to lose 50lbs & someone to lose 100lbs can lose Ore faster or have larger calorie deficit without a poor affect on overall health.

Just remember to recalculate your #'s as you drop weight & become more active your BMR & TDEE will also change which will change your goals. I think I read every 10lbs you lose re-do your #'s.

Sounds like you are doing great.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your doing all the responsible things especially having a doctor follow you closely. Sounds like your body is happy with what your doing and You seem happy too! If you were to incorporate exercise then I would definitely talk with your doctor about a gradual program to be safe. That is a lot of weight to lose in a month but it seems you have a larger goal to lose so your body is going to react differently. The only thing I've ever read about rapid weight loss was your skin's ability to adjust to the rapid weight loss. That's the only thing I would worry about. The skin's ability to snap back from such a rapid loss.
    Congrats on your switch to a healthy lifestyle! That's what it's all about.
  • adry09
    adry09 Posts: 2
    Options
    Keep track of your calories, you should not be eating less that 1,200. and drink water a lot. When I stared the first month I lost 22 Lb, then it level. I am losing 1 to 2 a week. the lower your weight is the less that you lose a week.
    but, I will run it by a nutriciones any way. Just be sure that you take vitamins. A get a blod test every 3 months to be sure that all my counts are correct. I stared at 240 and now I am at 208, in 3 months. Like I said the first 20 was the first month. Be careful, sometimes when you do a big change like that, you may give up. I count all my calories and if I have something hight in calories, I reduce the calories in the other meals. Be sure to have check how many grams of protein you need for your weight. good luck
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor. Good for you!!
  • Melindaleigh12
    Options
    I didn't look at your diary but I'm thinking if you went from eating tons of fast food to eating healthy you're probly dropping a lot of eater weight too. Fast food is full of sodium which equals water retention! Keep up the good work, you're doing great :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, safe weight loss is based on a percentage of your body weight - I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but for a lot of people it comes down to between 1/2 and 2 pounds a week. While I can reassure you that this is safe and normal (especially since a lot of your first month's losses are water weight) I hope you understand that as your weight decreases, the amount you lose in a month will decrease as well; don't let this discourage you.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

As long as you keep your physician 'in the loop' and he is fine with how things are going, then continue. I wish others would consult with their physicians more often.... I cant tell you how many medical claims come through that I have to attempt to appeal to the insurance companies....and its because the patient never consulted with their doctors... and made things worse for theirselves...

Kudos!!!!!
  • mgeaux
    mgeaux Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In 2004 I gave up Soda completely I also started walking at least twice a day. Prior to that I would drink at least 1 can of soda a day maybe 2. I lost 15lbs right away. I think it was from not having all that sugar. There are appox 9-10 tbsp of sugar in one can of soda! Just think of the calories you are no longer taking in. I would chalk most of you loss up to that.
  • threedaydiet
    threedaydiet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have looked at research in Obesity Journal and there is no evidence that people who lose weight quickly are less healthy than those who lose slowly, and they put weight back on at a slightly lower rate. Obesity is a pre-disease state so we need to get out of it quickly. I think mfp should modify it's weight loss advise depending on the weight of the person. If I was eating as much as they advise, I would lose weight unbearably slow.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Your rate of loss will slow down as you go, but you may want to consider upping your calories intake a little if you feel concerned about this now. As long as your doctor is monitoring you, you're probably doing fine.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    great job on the weight loss, the first so many pounds is easier to lose at the begining, just look to see how many calories you should be having per day and just not go beyond that to lose weight. ,keep it up and dont worry about losing weight so fast.
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! Two things: You are eating enough so no worries there and 2. You are being monitored by your doctor who agrees that you're on the right track, based on what you posted. You're doing great so keep up the good work! :)