Exercise/Fitness Ideas for extremely out of shape/obese

Options
Both of my parents are working on getting healthy with me. It's going well doing it as a family. Mom has lost close to 20lbs and Dad is push 25lbs gone. They both have more energy and some of their weight related ailments seem to be improving.

I would love to find some exercise options for them aside from walking. Maybe some light weights or something like that. It is up to them wheter they choose to do them or not...I just want to give them a wider array of options to try. You know to help keep things interesting.

Here's the thing, we're talking about two people who haven't been physcially fit in a Looooong time. Mom is 5'1" and weighs 262lbs, Dad is 6' even and at 310lbs. They don't have alot of money so gym memberships are not an option. I took up running to drop weight but I can't picture them running at this point in time.

Does anybody have some good suggestions, maybe an exercise DVD or something along those lines? Something low impact to help ease them in to getting fit and building strength?

Replies

• MistyWeeks
    MistyWeeks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hmmm... maybe Leslie Sansone's walking dvd's.... It's walking "in place" with some movement to sides, front and back.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Would they be comfortable in a swimsuit? They could take some water aerobics classes, or just lane swim. And don't discount bodyweight exercises like pushups and squats!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I agree with Leslie Sansones "Walk Away The Pounds". It's pretty beginner workouts, effective though.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Strongly recommend a stretching regimen - particularly at their ages (and I'm 55, so not throwing stones here!) - stretching hamstrings, quads, piriformis, calves, do very gentle hip stretches - all will help that connective tissues get used to moving again.

Then agree with the walking idea -

Also, how about resistance bands? You can pick them up at most sports stores and there are some pretty good DVD's that go with them...also a stability ball - Golds Gym markets one that you used be able to get at Target that has sand in it - you blow it up and the sand helps stabilize the ball until enough strength develops to enable exercises without the sand...that one comes with a DVD too....

Just an idea -
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I started with the same problem as your parents of being very overweight and out of condition (I'm 48). Recently I took up strength training and I'm loving it! For me, obesity doesn't seem to cause problems with strength training, in the way it did with, say, running or aerobics, because you're not bouncing about on your joints. I have weights at home, and I go to a gym, but if I couldn't afford to do that then I'd do bodyweight exercises at home.

When I started exercising, I found Leslie Sansome's walking videos useful, because they are very gentle and low impact.

Cycling is hard work (for me, anyway!), but your weight is supported, so I feel it's suitable for bigger people. Obviously, it's expensive to buy bikes, but you might be able to get them secondhand.

I'm not wild about swimming, but it's another exercise where your body is supported. Bigger people become light in the water, and it's a lovely feeling! I used to go to a quiet pool and try to walk or run through the water. It's harder than it sounds, and I'm told that it's good exercise. One problem with swimming, though, is it makes me hungry!

Maybe the walking that they're doing now is just right for them at the moment, to get them started? Walking fast or walking uphill can be quite hard work if you're bigger.

Best of luck to you and your parents!
  • Hockey1990
    Hockey1990 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just keep walking!!! Walking is the best. They can always try different neighborhoods. Thats what I do - change of scenery and different size hills and flats. Also canyon walks are fun and relaxing. Treadmills are boring and so are tracks. Just change it up and make it fun!!!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I was in my worst condition the Dr suggested cycling along with the words " Do NOT jog or even walk strenuousy as this could cause damage to knees and Hips" Yes I was that bad. Started with as much as I could do and then increased the distance over time.

Good Luck to you and your parents, it is a long road but well worth going down.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Nintendo Wii or Xbox Kinect. I've never seen my parents and aunties and uncles move like they do until they discovered Wiis and Kinects!
  • cwannabee
    cwannabee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys! I've definitly encouraged them to keep with the walking as it seems to be the best for them right now. I think resistance bands/light weights would be a great idea to add a little diversity, and they could do it at home.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    Walking. But not even that is an absolute....I have a friend in a wheelchair. He works his upperbody.....always moving. So just not being idle and moving is a great start. Baby steps...like me. Walking first at 282. Now I can run two miles at 247 lbs. I'll be running longer with each passing week.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Just keep walking!!! Walking is the best. They can always try different neighborhoods. Thats what I do - change of scenery and different size hills and flats. Also canyon walks are fun and relaxing. Treadmills are boring and so are tracks. Just change it up and make it fun!!!

THIS.

I started off not being able to even walk a block or two without getting winded. No I wasn't overweight, I was skinny fat. No exercise at all. Totally sedentary.
    Walking walking and walking.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar condition. I started with just 2 minutes on a recumbent stationary bike on tension level 0 just a short six months ago. Now I ride (almost) every day for 36- 40 minutes on level 4&5. A recumbent stationary bike is relatively cheap, easy on the knees.. you can do it in your home, and is small enough to roll into whatever room you like. As I increased I started while watching tv.. only biking during commercials.. it's been an amazing help to me.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    any aerobics just have them modify for extremely low impact (as long as they are moving it will burn cals) and walmart has this peddle thing that people can sit in a chair and peddle their legs or arms for like 30 bucks
  • QuiltMama61
    Options
    I was going to suggest the Leslie Sansone DVD's but several have beat me to it. I am obese (over 300 lbs) and the LS walking tapes are perfect for me. Best wishes for your mom & dad! :-)
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love the walking but also the swimming big for me. I know a lot of older people that do get in a swim a few days a week.