Running is bad for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    He says the heart is a muscle and if you force it to work for long periods of time it will shrink.

Doesn't he know that the heart works continuously from the time before you are born??????

Does he stop his heart to rest it every night so that it doesn't have to work for a long period of time??????

Does this guy even have a clue? Maybe he has just been reading the anti-cardio threads on MFP for research.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If running is wrong than I don't want to be right. Before I started running, I was 240lbs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Does he stop his heart to rest it every night so that it doesn't have to work for a long period of time??????

Wait, are we not supposed to be doing that?

I generally rest mine every night and then give it a week off every six months.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Running is very bad.
    Well, it's bad for people making money off gym cardio equipment...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Seriously, you will find that anything that's free will draw fire from those selling something.
    Welcome to the human race...
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    sitting on your *kitten* is unhealthy too but more people do that. I'll stick with running. I'm never proud of sitting on my *kitten*.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i personally cant run right now. i am big enough in the tummy that it actually hurts my insides, like intestines lol. they literally hurt like sharp shooting pains and bruises for a week. my legs love it though :) when i get down to my goal weight i plan on jogging :)
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a run in a moment. I'll alert the medics, just in case my heart starts to shrink....

You are really funny! Yeah, I thought that statement was a little 'out there', too. But I have to say that my favorite thing about this article is that Brookes claims that running can actually make you fat, but both pictures show a thin, female runner.
    Wow I guess we should tell all the Olympic track and field athletes that they are suppose to be fat since they do all that running. Plus OMG those darn Kenyen marathon runners, they are suppose to be fat too.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love these arguments.
    You can hurt yourself doing almost ANYTHING. I threw my back out sneezing once, while sitting on the couch.
    Seriously.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of the gym trainers fussed at me for running on a treadmill vs. outside. Oh, because running in 105 degree weather right now is better than on the treadmill?!? Pffftttt.

Amen sister! My husband doesn't even want me going out at 6am it's been so hot around here lately. This must be why it's so cheap to live in the South :)
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I love running. So I guess I'm in big trouble.

Same here. :laugh:

You're both clearly fooling yourselves. The article states that it's an "indisputable fact that running is pretty boring." And he is an expert.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Running is great. My dad is a runner and I've met a ton of other runners who all LOVE it and don't find it boring. Every sport or physical activity has injury risks.
    This article has not deterred me from my running aspirations.