Is it harder to cook for your family, when your on a diet?

Options

Replies

• kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Oh I've got this down! I make the same for both of us but easily switch between healthy and less healthy.

1. Fajitas
    Chicken and bell peppers cooked in the spice mix.
    Small tortillas or even homemade ones.
    I fill mine half half with chicken and peppers, top with salsa and lettuce then wrap.
    He fills his with chicken and just a little pepper, salsa, cheese and sour cream. he also makes more of them than me.

2. Stir fry
    Chicken and veggies stir fried.
    I take tons of veggies and plenty of chicken with just a small amount of noodles.
    He gets a heaping mound of noodles and loads of chicken and veg, and the soy sauce bottle to add more.

3. Roast chicken
    I take breast meat only, with gravy and roast/steamed veggies.
    He gets thigh and extra skin (from my chicken breast) on a mound of roast potatoes and gravy.

4. Chicken pot pie (for roast chicken leftovers)
    I fill my pie pot with veggies and chicken, a dribble of sauce and lay a couple of strips of pastry on top, served with veggies.
    He gets a full crust, almost all chicken and loads of sauce with hasselback potatoes and mini pies made from what would be leftovers.

I realise these are all chicken examples, but you get the picture. It's not difficult at all. The only problem is when he wants to cook for me and I have to sneak in and microwave steam some veggies to fill half my plate before he serves.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    no. i eat what they eat, but make a carb (rice/potato) for them

if they don't like the protein/veg i make, tough.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    No - I cook the same for everyone. Most of our problems were eating too much and snacking so still have some of the same food as before just smaller portions.

I'm also lucky as they dont mind me trying new stuff and will give me feedback on something new.

this is what i do. No snacks in house, no sodas. I have 4 teenagers at house and they have actually lost weight with me. They have not complained. (they know better :) ).
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    No. When I cook, I cook for me and always make extras for left overs or for my family to join me. I live in a house with 2 other adults, so if they don't want what I am cooking, too bad. They are big enough to make something for themselves. In regard to when I have kids in the house, they really don't know the difference unless it is something they don't eat anyway. So, unless I am making something completely different than the norm, they can eat what is made or wait until snack time. Normally do not have any issues with the kids. The adults complain 150% more!
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    We have slowly been incorporating new foods into our household. Like no white pasta, more organic foods, whole wheat breads, and we have been buying less processed crap. Our kids are young enough that they really haven't noticed or missed anything. They eat what I cook because I am not a short order cook, ( well I try not to be ;P )
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    my kids are a bit of a pain in the butt.. my oldest has pddnos (he is on the spectrum) and triing new foods is an issue.. i usually make the same food.. just take his out before combing them in a cassorol or something.. for example.. he will eat chicken, brocoli and rolls but wont eat my chicken,cheese, brocc stuffed rolls.

i do that with most foods.. just keep a portion out for him.. he likes it all plain and not touching.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I no what you mean I was having the same problem, but now my husband does most of the cooking for him and the kids, and I fix my own. Its easy now, When I was doing the cooking I got cook books on healthy eating and was making them better food some things they like some they did not. My husband loves meat and fried food and I cant eat either one so thats why he cooks.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I cook the same for everyone, including my 3 year old. That said, I make lots of delicious things -- none of them particularly diet. We practice portion control and eat lots of fruits and veggies -- it's a pretty satisfying way to live.
  • Vercell
    Options
    my kids are a bit of a pain in the butt.. my oldest has pddnos (he is on the spectrum) and triing new foods is an issue.. i usually make the same food.. just take his out before combing them in a cassorol or something.. for example.. he will eat chicken, brocoli and rolls but wont eat my chicken,cheese, brocc stuffed rolls.

i do that with most foods.. just keep a portion out for him.. he likes it all plain and not touching.
  • Vercell
    Options
    Wow lol that sounds like my youngest, to funny I was thinking she was the only one that way.
  • rixzchick
    rixzchick Posts: 17
    Options
    It can be, depending on the flexibility of your family.

Personally, my husband is really thin and has such a fast metabolism that he can consume countless calories and not gain a damn pound. I swear I smell food, and manage to gain weight. Currently, our god children are staying with us, so the generic meal plan has been to cook them dinner first, then after I finish the dishes, I embark on the "adult dinner".

Their ages are 22 months, 3 years, and 6 years old, so much of the food is either over their head, or not as appetizing.

I pack my husband high-calorie lunches, and make sure he has a high-calorie breakfast. So by dinner, the meal we share together (I'm a housewife) I make something healthy in between 200-500 calories.

This set up works for us, since while our food is cooking, I'm bathing the kids and getting them settled with a movie before bed, and have 2 of them down to sleep by the time hubby is home, and they're generally all down by the time dinner is ready.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    no. i eat what they eat, but make a carb (rice/potato) for them

if they don't like the protein/veg i make, tough.

^
    ^
    this, mostly ...... and I always have lots of veggies and/or salad as well :drinker:
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    For dinner they eat what I eat, but don't tell them the recipes are healthier than what I used to serve for dinner!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    No they eat what I eat. Being 14 and 12 means they eat it or starve. Yay.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Nope - we eat what I cook, and if someone has a problem with it they are welcome to go cook their own food. (That, for the record, NEVER happens.) If they need more calories, they can eat larger portions - but likely, they don't need significantly more calories than what you're eating, either, unless you're eating way under your BMR.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No, we all eat the same thing. There is no such thing as diet meals in our house. I make healthy meals for everyone and we start every dinner with a salad. Since I am the cook and do the grocery shopping, you can take it or leave it. That goes for even the smallest one in the house.

quoted for simplicity. my husband gets a slightly larger portion than i do, but the three of us all eat the same foods. my son won't eat a salad yet - he's open to the idea, but is still trying to find a dressing he likes, so he usually gets extra veggies with his dinner.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have found that the word "diet" is the best way for me to fall off that way of eating. I've made a life change and am eating healthier, not to lose weight specifically, but to be healthier for life. I cook the way we should all be eating, and as others have posted before me in reply to your question, I just eat smaller portions of what I make. I'm learning how to season vegetables with spices and not salt, making them quite delicious. You might find it easier to just make the same food for everyone in your family and if you find yourself REALLY wanting to enjoy a hotdog or burger or whatever it is you really miss, have a meal once a month that includes that food. You will likely find that the longer you spend eating healthier, the less your body craves the foods that aren't the best fuel for our bodies.

EXACTLY THIS!!!:happy:
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I cook something everyone can eat, and an additional dish for people who need more calories. For example, yesterday, I made lentil tacos (delicious). Mine was lentils and salsa in a lettuce shell. My bf had corn tortillas, and chicken in addition to what I had.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No, my weightloss doesn't mean I need to cook different meals. My kids are small freaks of nature and love trying new foods, right now i've been tasked with cooking octopus, snails and soft shelled crab (not all at once). If they want to try it fine, but you won't see me eating a snail anytime soon, so i need to make something different for myself
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all. They eat what I eat.

Go to skinnytaste.com Lots and lots of yummy meals everyone can enjoy.