First 5k Complete!!! x

Options
XXXMinnieXXX
XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
hi I am Zara. I am 26 years old and from Manchester UK. I have lost 63lbs in weight. I became ill with liver tumors and had 3/4 of my liver removed on 1st March this year. I started jogging a couple of months ago. It has done me wonders. My weight is coming off again and my depression and anxiety is so much better i have come off medications. It is changing my life. (as is being very active in general)

I have a some great friends on here that really help me, one person in particular. They are making me see i can achieve anything i like, and it feels great. Today I did the Race For Life a 5k run. I managed to jog for well over half the course, power walking for the rest of it. My time was 42 minutes. I know this is slow but it will improve.

It was very crowded, muddy and wet and i have some leg injuries which all slowed me down, but i have a time to beat next year so all is good... I'm pretty proud of my first medal and it will be the first of many. I used to be very self conscious jogging but i have received amazing support from other joggers and people i pass by. Nobody judges, they are just happy for you! If you'd like to do it, go for it!!!

['ve raised £168 so thank you very much to everyone who has donated and supported me!! It means so much to me!

Zara xxx

Replies

• the3rdwife
    the3rdwife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    wow Zara congratulations !!! I've started and given up on the couch to 5k plan many times over the past year & would never have the balls to do a race. WELL DONE YOU !! you may just be my inspiration x
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well done. That is a fantastic time considering what you have went through in the last few months.

Thanks for posting and the inspiration.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    wow Zara congratulations !!! I've started and given up on the couch to 5k plan many times over the past year & would never have the balls to do a race. WELL DONE YOU !! you may just be my inspiration x

Aw that's lovely, do it honey! You won't regret it!!! X
  • akivi73
    akivi73 Posts: 27
    Options
    Way to go Zara!! That's awesome! I'm getting ready for my first 5K in August and I'm super excited! You're a great inspiration. :happy:
  • lisaslim1976
    lisaslim1976 Posts: 145
    Options
    Amazing stuff..well done, I have got my first race for life in 3 weeks :-)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    Amazing stuff..well done, I have got my first race for life in 3 weeks :-)

How exciting! X
  • IAmFranciscoB
    Options
    GREAT WORK!!! keep it up!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    Way to go Zara!! That's awesome! I'm getting ready for my first 5K in August and I'm super excited! You're a great inspiration. :happy:

Good luck! Sure it will go well for you! X
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for your achievements, your story is very inspiring!
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I can't wait till I can say the same thing :D
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Awesome job Zara!! The time doesn't matter... The fact that you had the heart and will power to complete it is all that matters! Running (or walking, or fitness in general) is a very personal thing- a quest to see how far you can go, what your mind can make your body do!

I am experimenting with my body as well! I hated running years ago, today I am training for a marathon. I started a C25K program in November 2011 and couldn't run for the 60 second intervals on day one without extreme pain, today I ran for 2 hours straight- pain free! The body is amazing in what it can do if you make it!

You have climbed an incredible hurdle from depression, major surgery and weight issues to a more fit, agile, happier and more awesome you!!

Congratulations and keep up the good work!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    hi I am Zara. I am 26 years old and from Manchester UK. I have lost 63lbs in weight. I became ill with liver tumors and had 3/4 of my liver removed on 1st March this year. I started jogging a couple of months ago. It has done me wonders. My weight is coming off again and my depression and anxiety is so much better i have come off medications. It is changing my life. (as is being very active in general)

I have a some great friends on here that really help me, one person in particular. They are making me see i can achieve anything i like, and it feels great. Today I did the Race For Life a 5k run. I managed to jog for well over half the course, power walking for the rest of it. My time was 42 minutes. I know this is slow but it will improve.

It was very crowded, muddy and wet and i have some leg injuries which all slowed me down, but i have a time to beat next year so all is good... I'm pretty proud of my first medal and it will be the first of many. I used to be very self conscious jogging but i have received amazing support from other joggers and people i pass by. Nobody judges, they are just happy for you! If you'd like to do it, go for it!!!

['ve raised £168 so thank you very much to everyone who has donated and supported me!! It means so much to me!

Zara xxx

WTG Zara!!! very well done!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration! I am on week 5 of C25K and will be running my first 5K on Wednesday. I am excited and nervous at the same time! Thank you so much for sharing your story! You have been through so many struggles this year but you have persevered.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well done Zara! I ran a Race For Life today, too - such a great atmosphere, and everyone is so supportive :)
  • beautifulstronghealthy
    Options
    Great job! I have my first 5k mud run today and I'm getting nervous. Good for you for barreling ahead!
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I so can feel - what you are feeling!! Go for it girl!
  • GiiaSoCrazii
    GiiaSoCrazii Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Im also trying to do a 5k in a couple months so achievements like this is very motivating.
  • flipsit
    flipsit Posts: 111
    Options
    Amazeballs babe. You've come such a long way. Proud of you. xx
  • mikesa3
    mikesa3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I hope to do my first 5k in the Fall. I have a long way to go but women like you keep me motivated to keep working towards it. I can't get over how exercise has helped with the mild anxiety that I use to get. I feel so much calmer now. It took me 48 years to discover the joy of excercise and I never want to stop.
    Nancy
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!