i need to ban reading the success stories....

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
Like my title reads... I need to ban myself from reading the success stories. I found them to be motivational before and especially when they posted pics along with their story. Now i find them so depressing :( I find so many that started around the same time as me and have hit their goals already... I mean it's not like i had a ton of weight to lose! I am 5 ft 2 inches and only needed to lose 20lbs. I started Oct 22nd, 2011 and i can't get over a 13 lb loss.... i have struggled to hit 13lbs since then, it's been stressful. My dr gave me a target weight of 120-122 and i can't get under 126.8 ever! i started at 140-142.... who knew that 20 lbs would take so long to get off, i think it will take a full year to take it off and i find that CRAZY! I guess it's just a feel sorry for me day today :(

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    You and me both. Two years ago I said I'd lose 100 pounds, now I've only lost 53. That's a failing grade right there. I didn't think this process could take me four freaking years! I wish I could lose as fast as everyone else. :/
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a year to lose ten. It is frustrating. Maybe you need to change some things up....but definitely don't give up!
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    Just take it slow. Try to manipulate your calories a little bit. Maybe by 100? And change some workout routines, too. Your body will get used to the ones you do all the time. Principle of muscle confusion. Just keep pushing and don't give up!!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Patience. I know it sucks but slow and steady is a good way to go. You will get there and their success stories can motivate you, anger is a motivating tool too, but remember this is about you.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Could I suggest you open your profile and maybe even your diary to members of the site rather than just to friends? Perhaps if you do, someone can take a look and suggest ways that might help you to a faster weight loss. I came here with five pounds to lose that just wouldn't go away. I've lost 8 and feel and look better than I have in years. People here can be incredibly helpful if you only let them.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Ouch...(((Hug)))
    I don´t blame you for feeling this way.
    I have only been doing this for 6 weeks and when I see those stories with amazing pictures I´m happy for them but still jelous.
    I wish I could just start at a healthy weight and fight to maintain it, that would be a hell of a work to do anyway.
    Just don´t give up since you have put so much energy into this already. Be strong, you can do this.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I hit a bit of a plateau for a few months but started heavy lifting and eating more protein, lowered my carbs slightly and upped my calories and I lost 4 pounds in the last 5 weeks.

Change it up, try different things it can really make a difference.
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Losing weight in itself is a success. It has taken me a year to lose 19 pounds and keep them off. I consider that a good thing.

In my opinion, weight that comes off slower is more likely to stay off. The fact that you've plateaued just means you are eating healthily, hence why you are not gaining.

Don't give up. Just keep plugging away at it.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Whoa!

I am having the same issue! And I'm 5'2" and stuck at 126! I *was* down to 122 three months ago but went on vacation, got sick and can't seem to get back there!!

And I *want* to be 115!

I get grouchy about it, too, I admit.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Ya'll need to quit your whining :) "Only 13 pounds"..."Only 53 pounds". I dare you to go pick up something that weighs that and carry it around all day. I highly doubt you could do it. If you could it sure wouldn't be comfortable!

People have got to stop putting a time limit on a weight loss goal. The body doesn't work on a time schedule. Be happy with how successful you have been and how successful you are every day eating healthy, exercising and logging it. :)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sista!

I started in January and have lost a total of 8 pounds, there are others who started out same weight as me and have lost 30-40 pounds, where I wanted to be.

It sucks.

It doesn't help that i am dealing with an f'd up thyroid and am now 38. Metabolism sucks for me!!!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Ya'll need to quit your whining :) "Only 13 pounds"..."Only 53 pounds". I dare you to go pick up something that weighs that and carry it around all day. I highly doubt you could do it. If you could it sure wouldn't be comfortable!

People have got to stop putting a time limit on a weight loss goal. The body doesn't work on a time schedule. Be happy with how successful you have been and how successful you are every day eating healthy, exercising and logging it. :)

Well, I'm just really impatient. I just want to get to the point to where I can look good and I thought 2 years was long enough, 4 years is just torture. >.<
  • Metal_Viking
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I thought I would be over my goal of 50-60 lbs lost by last winter. But sadly I'm stuck at 34 lbs lost and it's been a year and 3 months so far since I began. :(
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way and they won't even share their secrets...thet just keep saying "healthy eating and excersize"!!!!
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I find their stories to be inspirational ( tinge of jealousy at times) but honestly I have found there are no secrets it's all in the food you eat and the calories your burning. Obviously I am not expert because I have only been doing this for 2 weeks but I will say the healthy choices I have made seem to be working I've given up wheat for sprouted grain bread, instead of rice I will eat Quinoa and once a week I will have a cheat day and eat what I want as long as I stay within my allowable calories. Please dont get discouraged, you will reach your goal in due time just stay positive :flowerforyou:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It is ok to get frusterated. I have a friend who joined that hasn't been losing weight, she has PCOS and not only has to watch calories but has to be strict about the type of food she eats.
    Keep trying different things. Some people have had success zigzagging their calories when they plateau. I suggest trying to do without wheat for a couple of weeks as some people have a wheat belly. Just look through the plateau topics and see what has worked for people here.
    BUT mostly I just wanted to say hi, and don't give up. You have lost weight, you havent gained weight. This is a learning process and that can be frusterating, but I am sure you will win out.
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you are eating healthy and exercising regularly, do you think it's possible that you are at a healthy goal weight? I'm 5'1" and when I was between 120 and 126 I felt my best. I was told I was "suppose" to weight 102-118, but that was very unrealistic for me. If I were you, I wouldn't feel bummed at all. There are so many things that factor into weight. Be proud of what you have done. I think 126 down from 140 is a fantastic success story!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way and they won't even share their secrets...thet just keep saying "healthy eating and excersize"!!!!

I'm happy to help anyone out, but the secret is "healthy eating and exercise".......
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx everyone! i guess it is a success story in a way from 140-126 but it seems so slow.... i know so many who hit that in 3 months,lol... I find i went crazy with this life style change, weighing all my foods, logging every bite, exercising and it still never crept off any faster. Sometimes only .5 a month loss.....i changed up exercise, ate exercise cals back, then not at all, went from tdee and then a flat out 1200... i am now at 1400-1500 and still no major change... it se4ems like everything i do it doesn't help much, it's still a .5 - 1lb loss a month... sigh... i also think that yes maybe i might be at my healthy weight, my dr said 120-122 max... not anything lower.. so i though 122-125 would be a good place. I was 125 so most of my life so i know it's a " normal" spot for me...i am not young either to get under that at all anymore either and i do also have a messed up thyroid too.... BUT i find all the advice i have gotten. nothing changed and no extra losses, still the same old slow boat! lol.... I figured once i hit my goal then i can work on toning, so if i put some weight back on b/c of it, it won't bother me at all.... I don't like how soft i look right now, so i think that bugs me more... especially when i see these success pics and these girls look great.
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    have you had your percentage of body fat done? That might be helpful in goal setting. Also whenever I hit a plateau I add some extra exercise to help me move past it.