what to eat thats quick (to take to work)

Options
i go out with my family everyday because we all work together in our thrift store. the problem is we eat so poorly because we work and we need something fast aka fast food...im so frustrated because i give in so easily now i use to only get a drink when we go out but now im so starving by the time i get a break or when i get off i just want something not only fast but things i dont have to cook...i know i need to just buckle down and cook if im ever gonna lose this last 50 pounds but what should i cook that i can take with me? something easy and relatively quick needs to be done in about 20-25 mins...what do you eat when your at work? mornings i usually eat oatmeal and a smoothie made with fat free milk and weight watchers coconut smoothie mix and pineapple the rest of the day i need help with

Replies

• seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    How about left overs? I eat that often at lunch.
  • lciupa
    lciupa Posts: 48
    Options
    hard boiled egg
    weight watchers cheese strings
    cut veggies with dip( mix fat free greek yogurt with italian seasoning)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    We also own a business, its very hectic, we have started ordering Lifestyle Elevate snacks, they deliver them to your door, prepackaged, all healthy snack, like salads, chicken breast and cheese, almonds and apples. It has been a diet saver for us! I still make dinner every night and usually make enough to take for lunch the next day, but we eat 5-6 times a day (small meals and snacks), thats a whole lot of prep time if you take your own food everyday.

Here's the website:
    http://lifestyleelevate.com/
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Grapes, apples, bananas, salad with dressing on the side (they have little containers), pb&j on 50 calorie a slice bread, etc.

Basically, anything that can be just thrown in a bag.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I really like making my own sandwiches and/or wraps. Leftovers too, like someone else suggested. I live my myself, but I make a family size batch of something on the weekend, and take it to work or have a serving for dinner the rest of the week.

Also, though it's obviously not great to eat fast food all the time, it doesn't hurt to do it once or twice a week. Just as long as you are careful about making good choices! There ARE some low cal, relatively healthy options, even at fast food places.
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do up a Bento box.....
    turkey breast deli meat (or whichever deli meat you like)
    low fat cheese string
    raw veggies and low fat dip
    fresh fruit (peach, watermelon, grapes, etc...cut up into bite size pieces)
    hard boiled egg
    single serve yogurt (or single serve greek yogurt)

These are some of the things I eat pretty much daily when working. :)
    Good luck!
  • wetsel23
    wetsel23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday i sit down and make a menu and then buy only on the menu including my sancks. I make sure i make enough for dinner that I can pack it for lunch. It makes it so much easier during the week and we arent tempted to grab fast foold. Here are a couple of easy recipes and low calorie.

Mini Meatloaf (30-40 minutes)

40oz ground turkey (2 packages)
    2 large egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup ketchup
    4 tablespoons low-fat milk
    1 small onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1.Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 8 muffin cups with cooking spray.
    2.Mix turkey, egg, oats, parsley, 2 tablespoons ketchup, milk, onion, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
    3.Form the mixture into 6oz balls and place in the prepared muffin cups. Spread Worcestershire sauce about 1/2 teaspoon over each mini meatloaf.
    4.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Shrimp and Grits (10 mins)

1 packet of Quakers instant grits-- original, butter, or cheese flavor works best (1 for each person) Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact (I use pre-cooked shrimp)
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
    Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus wedges for serving
    2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley

Directions
    Follow cooking instructions on grits packet, but before you cook add a tablespoon of fresh parmesan

Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne, if using, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Chicken ceasar saad =]

Half a packet of mixed lettuce
    1 tablespoon (or two) or light ceasar dressing
    100gr of cooked chicken breast (chopped small)
    1-2 peices of bacon (chopped)

Mix it all together and its a super yummy and pretty healthy meal. About 350 calories, hardly any carbs and a good source of protein.

I usually make a batch the night before and put it in my lunchbox hehe ^_^
  • SusuAtta
    SusuAtta Posts: 56
    Options
    I try and never let myself go hungry at work, so I usually take some sort of meal and some snacks (to avoid a visit to the vending machine >.<). I usually cook something on a night, and use that to take for the next few days till it is out, and then cook something again. My staple things are baked fish (can be replaced with another type of meat. I put cut potatoes, onions, carrots, and tomatoes with the fish and top with a sauce of tomato paste, lemon, a little bit of olive oil, parsley/cilantro/basil, curry, salt, and pepper. It's super yummy!), stir-fry with beans or shrimp, or some other veggie dish I cook up. I'll take that to work with 1/2 of steamed brown rice ^.^. Then there are my sides/snacks. It's typically some of the following: small baked sweet potato, salad, plain nonfat yogurt with apple and cinnimon or a banana, carrots and cucumbers, unsweetened apple sauce, handful of nuts/dried fruit, Crunchmaster crckers and hummus, rice cakes topped with a bit of nut butter, and I like to have green tea with me to drink, even if it eventually gets cold :laugh: I take it all in a lunchbox, and enjoy every bite!