New to website

Options
Hi, my name is Wendy and I have diabetes and am trying to loose weight to get off my meds. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the meds for diabetes but one that I am taking is an insulin controller that just happens to supress appetite. It is working fairly well but I need more support. I found this website in one of the diabetes website forums I participate in.

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Welcome Wendy! This is a great site! Log all your food , drink lots of water and please try to get in exercise! These three things will make a HUGE difference! Best wishes to you!
  • webe
    webe Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I've already lost some weight in the past two years; about 45 pounds but I still have a long way to go.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Wendy and I have diabetes and am trying to loose weight to get off my meds. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the meds for diabetes but one that I am taking is an insulin controller that just happens to supress appetite. It is working fairly well but I need more support. I found this website in one of the diabetes website forums I participate in.

Hi Wendy, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options

Welcome Wendy! You can get off your meds by losing the weightt! I have and I'm older than you. I'm off all of my meds for high blood pressure, trigycerides, and blood sugar (metformin) as a result of my weight loss. I'm glad for you that your med for controlling insulin also suppresses appetite. My doc has me on Meridia to suppress appetite and it has been wonderful! Don't think I could have done it without it!

Good luck and keep moving! Exercise and smart food choices lead to success!
  • webe
    webe Posts: 11
    Options
    The med for diabetes that I use now causes nausea as a side affect. My problem is not really eating too much anymore; it's choosing the best food. Kind of like more bang for the buck. A typical day of food for me is maybe a bowl of cereal for breakfast or toast with peanut butter, meat sandwich with maybe some pretzels for lunch, and tomato or chicken noodle soup or a nutrashake for dinner. It varies a bit but that's pretty close. I try to fit in a snack like an orange or grapefruit and sometimes a piece of candy or cooker if my sugar level drops and if my tummy allows. I do drink lots of water; in fact I am drinking some now. I walk to work so that is one easy exercise!

I need to find foods that are filling and healthy but have less carbs and don't send my nausea into a tailspin. My primary reason for joining this site is to find this info and get some moral support. Seems to be working already!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Glad to hear that its working already. I did a post earlier of some info I found aimed at how many carbs a diabetic should eat, and how often, that might be helpful. You might want to search for that in the food and nutrition topics. My daughter-in-law is a type I diabetic who's pregnant with our second grandchild and she's got to be real careful. That future grandson plays hell with her sugar and insulin levels. Good thing my son is a doctor (and she's a nurse) so they know what to do when he starts acting up and pulling sugar from her.

Sorry to hear your med causes nausea and is not really the appetite suppressant of choice.