Running shoes for women??

Hello,
I am new to running and am looking for a good women's running shoe. Any suggestions?

Replies

• What is good for someone else wont neccesarily be any good for you. For you first pair you should really go to a proper running store where they will assess the way you run and recommend the right syle of shoe for your gait. It seems like an expensive thing to do but believe me it will save you injury problems from running in the wrong kind of shoe.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. They will analyze your gait and suggest shoes that are right for the way you run. Don't even think about brand, just choose the ones that feel the best from the suggestions that they provide.
  • Your best bet would be to go to a true running store and have them size you for running shoes. A good running store will watch you run and pair you with shoes that support your style of running. Running shoes can make all the difference between pain in the legs, knees, and feet! Took me a long time to find the perfect pair for me. My personal favorite are brooks running shoes! Happy Running!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    same advise as above ^^ you need to get shoes suited to your running style. Most good running shops will do a gait analysis, preferably a video gait as they will show you the video so you understand the theory (I found that helped me anyway)

Some shops even offer a 30 day money back guarantee if you dont get on with the shoes, I know Sweatshop do but have heard others do too.

Good luck and enjoy your running (and dont forget you need a good supportive sports bra too, very important )
  • hungrybunni
    hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
    I would really recommend that you look on the Vibram web site and read the reviews too. Three years ago my son started wearing them, he used to have bad feet and knees, even had to give up his road cycling. Then he changed to vibram five fingers and has never looked back. I've had mine for 12 months and hate having to wear anything else....even my daughter now wears a pair to high school !!! DONT WEAR NORMAL TRAINERS !!!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Try Asics, I LOVE Asics. I used to run and they are awesome. Also great for just walking/speed walking!
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    I went this weekend to a running store for my first ever fitting and analysis and it is an amazing process. It really is the right way to go.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    I've been wondering the same thing. I did a lot of research over the last week on the internet. I've learned about pronation, high arches, flat feet, etc. As the other posters said, you really should go to a store and get professional help. They often will let you run (literally) around to see if it's the right shoe. I have a friend who recently went to ****'s sporting goods to get fitted, then she wrote down what she needed and bought them online for a bit more of a discount. They knew what she was doing and were very supportive.
    I recently bought ASICS, but they have many different models based upon your style of running.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    I love my Asics, I'm in the market for a new pair, and I won't buy any other. Very comfy.

But as a few have suggested, they might not suit your running style. So I lucked out with these, these are my 2nd pair of Asics now.

x
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Definitely go get fitted at a running store. The staff at running stores are runners themselves and can really help fit you with the correct shoe. When I got fitted for my most recent shoes, I bought 2 pair to alternate them. You may pay more at a running store, but the service is usually excellent and you can always return them if they don't work and they'll fit you with something new. They want you to be comfortable and injury free as much as you do yourself.
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    The best advice is to get properly fitted at a running store. If you're lazy like me and would rather buy the shoe that gets the most recommendations, I would seriously take a look at Asics. I've had my Asics GT 2150's for about a year now (entirely too long - upgrading to GT 2170's when the next paycheck arrives) and they're by far the best running shoes I've used. They're really well cushioned, which is great if you have bad knees like I do.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Definately get fitted! I just started running about a month ago and I swear my shoes are the only thing that has saved my joints! I personally bought some Saucony's, which I never would have even HEARD of if I hadn't gone to an actual running store. There are SO many other options out there than what you'll find at a standard sporting goods store.
  • Louisedowner
    Louisedowner Posts: 7 Member
    I started running a while ago and kept getting blisters which was making me stop running - so frustrating. I went to a running store, they filmed my movement and advised me for the best shoe. I have never had a blister since and have run over 10miles at a time. The one thing that is worth spending money on is proper running shoes!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    I agree about this being very individual. I wear clima cools and newbalance most of my runs and they work really great. My sister uses a minimalist called vibrams. Just make sure you get a show that is for running only. A walking/hiking/cross trainning shoe is not supported correctly for running. I prefer a minimalist type shoe, they are really proving to be the best for running and to help with things like shin splints etc. Good luck in your quest!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    to illustrate the point about the importance fan individual fitting.... i used to run in asics gels. they gave me shinsplints and numb toes.