Losing weight bad for fashion--what do you do?

Options

Replies

• ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Seveal of my friends came up with a creative solution to this problem. They organized a cloths swap. They invited all their friends, coworkers and family members to all the cloths they had that no longer fit to a swap once a month. They took turns hosting and it was very successful.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Clearance racks are my best friend.
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Find a good consignment shop in your area. I am able to pick up capris and pants for $5 to $7 a pair (nice looking and sometimes with tags on them). Plus, I take in my clothes that don't fit, she takes them, and since I get an inistore credit, she pays a little extra. It can take a while to find a good consignment shop- just keep looking around. It has been a huge money saver for me!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have been buyin clothes from cheaper places like primark and H&M to keep updated - i hate being frumpy too.

if you just update your basics - black leggings, smart trousers, a couple of tighter tops and a pair of jeans, it shouldnt be too expensive.

The way I see it - I buy clothes all the time so I would be buying new stuff either way whether I were the same weight or losing weight.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    resale shops, clearance racks and it also helps that I know how to tailor and alter clothes, so as they get baggy, I can bring them in accordingly.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores FTW.
    There were some items in the wardrobe I loved but could not fit anymore, and I decided to take in to a tailor.
    Some of them couldn't be altered in a way that left them wearable, and so I threw them out.
    Thing about that is that you're never gonna wear the big clothes again (amirite??) so you don't have much to lose if they get ruined in the alterations process.
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I bought a few dresses on sale, they don't show the "frumpiness" as much and can straddle a few different size ranges. I also bought a few wide stretchy belts, too big shirts and dresses can be made very chic with a belt to scrunch in the right place. I know I don't want to buy new clothes now because I plan to continue to lose, so when I do shop I have bought a few cute accessory pieces to spice up my wardrobe until that point, jewelry, shoes, scarves, ect.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Belts, blazers, there are lots of ways to make your bigger clothes fit your smaller body until you are ready to buy new! Try looking on Pintrest for ideas, there are some really cute ideas!!
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would definitly suggest buying some stretchy belts from target/forever 21 and stores like that. You can add belts to a lot of outfits and they will still look cute. I ended up buying a few dresses and a new pair of jeans because the old ones were falling off. Otherwise, accessorize! Also, hit up the thrift stores for gently used items.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I've gone from hating to be in my workout gear because I was so uncomfortable, to now only being comfortable in my workout clothes (because they fit!), with no make up on, sweating my butt off.

This is my reality, lol

I do wear a lot of my clothes baggy until someone HAS to tell me not to wear a certain outfit anymore, and then I don't, haha (falling off is not attractive)

but I have bought new clothes, and I go the very neutral route. I get by with a couple pair of good fitting jeans, bought a little snug to start. as for shirts, t-shirts suffice. some slacks, and i wear loose blouses anyway, so those pieces work well at many different weights.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    Do you have Primark where you are?

You can get jeams for £8, vest tops for £2, work trousers for £8. Its great, you can get some cute dresses and stuff to. I'm in N.Ireland but and thats where I head, not sure where you are but
  • candacegooding
    Options
    figure out what you really need any how much you need. I would start by getting like one pair of fitting jeans that are dark enough that you can dress them down or up easily. You can get the jeans at a goodwill or one of my favorites the consignment shops that are a bit more upscale. You really don't need more than one pair though. Also I would get some sort of basic shorts, depends on what your style what is best. I got basic denim shorts in dark wash and white at the gap outlet near my house for 11 dollars each (the white was because they were so darn cute I couldn't resist). If you have a gap outlet that is a great place for shorts because they always have one style that is on sale, at least at my location, that look really nice. If you need to dress up often I would get a cheap black dress either at a resale shop or at somewhere like forever21(yes if you look hard enough you can find something classy) that you can accessorize to make it look different.
    I get a new pair of jeans about every other size. Once I get to my goal I will get a couple more and spend more on them.
    If you have any basic sewing skill you can sew up the sides of any A line skirts. I did this and it really expanded what I can wear without having to spend any money at all. If you don't have a machine you can easily borrow one from a friend because chances are someone you know has one.
    The only shirts I really got were fitted cotton tees in solid colors like from target because I can wear them to work out or i could pair them with my dark jeans and cute shoes to dress them up. If they get too big then they can just be cuter workout shirts compared to old faded out tees that go to my knees. Also one key thing I have is my fitted waist belt. It sounds silly but as I lose weight I continue to sew the belt to make it smaller (the back is elastic, got the belt at target for 10 dollars and it has been with me for a long time) so even if something is too big I put the waist belt on it so it looks less frumpy and more like it was intentional. This is how I saved most of my dresses with that and occasional pinning.
    I guess the thing is when shopping while losing weight you want to leave the looking "fashionable" to the shoes and accessories that will fit you forever. I know it's wordy but hopefully this helps!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My fashionable friends, what do you do when you're losing weight, on a strict financial budget, and all of your clothes are too big? I don't have the money to buy a whole new wardrobe with each size, and I don't want to, because I don't plan on being at these sizes for very long--I have a lot of weight left to lose.

I'm starting to look frumpy, which is a huge bummer, because who doesn't like to look cute or at the very least socially presentable? :) I've gone from hating to be in my workout gear because I was so uncomfortable, to now only being comfortable in my workout clothes (because they fit!), with no make up on, sweating my butt off.

What do you guys do about the clothes thing??

Skirts with draw strings and dresses are your best friends and don't be afraid of consignment stores, Goodwill, etc. People will donate clothes they never wore and stores donate surplus inventory so you can find cute, cheap clothes.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Everyone has good suggestions, but if you don't like buying used clothes - Find a good tailor. Only buy clothes that are on clearance - I got a super cute dress that was originally $80 for $17 this weekend - SCORE!! If you find something that is a size or 2 too small, but it's a heluva deal, buy it - but only if you're committed.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Wear your workout stuff. Nothing wrong with that! U are too cute to be feeling frumpy!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I wore a belt and bought a couple key pieces on clearance with coupons at my favorite store to tide me over. I'm finally at the size I think I'm going to stay at so I can now start buying some clothes that fit! I also have a pile of my old clothes that I need to go through and see about getting some of them altered.
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just got cheap basic clothes once in a while at H&M, because getting clothes during my weightloss really motivated me. When I reached my goal I went shopping like a crazy woman :P
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    i love my gym wear too cuz its kind of lycra and fits well...i would suggest wearing leggings and tops that arent fitted so when u keep losing u can still wear them and they wont be hanging off u. x
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i buy clothes from the sale rack at the dollar store... $2 pants... sure! i wont have them for long!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I live in a city that has lots of consignment stores so I can go out and get a pair of Lucky jeans for less than $20, tops for a few bucks each. A friend had this really cute dress on that she got at the $5 store so I really need to go there. I am now hitting 8-10-12 range which I will be keeping in the closet and I have a good seamstress that is reasonable for adjustments.