Why lean meats and add good fats?

Options
Why not have higher fat meats. The good fats are already in there?

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    It's something I've been curious about.

Now we all know that fat is not the enemy, why get rid of all traces of it on the meat? It tastes nice.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you are eating factory raised meats, there are a lot of toxins in the fats, so go lean and add butter or coconut oil to it. If you are eating grassfed and finished meat (which tends to be leaner anyways), then eat and enjoy that fat!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    oooooh.

It's hard to find grassfed.

I am raising some calves myself. I refuse to sell them to the feed-lot. They'll be grass fed, but they won't be ready for a few years.
  • jkrau37
    jkrau37 Posts: 11
    Options
    Check out the Fats!?! thread - there's a lot of explainations about fats there.

you don't have to cut all visible fat from meat - some fat is good to cook with.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Yeah I read all the fat threads. But I still see advice of eat lean meat, then add good fats, with some of the suggestions being animal fat. I don't think I have ever seen advice on what to eat to include fat with your meat.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's just to be more precise with one's macro goals. I could eat grassfed beef for my protein, but my fat would just be too high and I couldn't use any more dietary fat elsewhere in my diet for cooking, salads, etc.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Hmm ok.

SO if you weren't too worried about your macros. (And ate a variety of foods). It probably wouldn't matter. Expecially Pasture raised
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    No, those are saturated fats, not good fats.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options

Saturated fats aren't bad.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Saturated fats aren't bad.

A Voice Of Reason :)
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    :noway:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Saturated fats aren't necessarily bad... they have been linked to higher incidences of cardiovascular disease, but researchers are re-visiting that notion and finding out that maybe they aren't actually a cause... or maybe, like cholesterol, it depends on genetics. Regardless, the average person doesn't need to avoid saturated fats.

They probably shouldn't go eating sticks of butter though. ;-)

The real crux of the issue is just that polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are good for you. You should have some in your diet.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

The problem is that people still want to label Saturated Fat as "bad" and it isn't. It is very much needed in moderate quantities for the brain and all other body functions down to the cellular level.

That is why it is taboo to still to eat the fat on your meat.

Now myself...............I get grass fed and free pastured meats from local farmers so I do eat the fat that comes from these animals.

IF I had to eat store bought meats I would buy the leanest I could find or chop the fat off as the fat is where the hormones and antibiotics are stored, just like in humans.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Leaves more room for PBnJ
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    :angry: I got to find a grass feed supplier here.... I live in grazing district
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    A percentage of saturated fat is actually very good for you.... but, like someone else posted, genetics can definitely play a role if you are predisposed.

My family history has cardiac, hormonal, pulmonary, reproductive issues on both sides...

I just received new blood work results this morning after doing a 12hr fast (drawn on 06/23), and Im happy to say that for one solid year, my A1C has maintained a 5.2, my cholesterol has maintained a total count of 117 and that makes a very happy woman out of me, and my Endocrinologist....

Ive had my share of butter, prime rib, and pork ribs that had plenty of fat this past year, but I didnt go 'hog-wild' (no pun intended, lol).. I simply made sure to get a balance. But my 'picture' also shows an elimination list of all breads/rice/pasta/grains/corn due to food allergies.... therefore the saturated fats that I have consumed didnt have the starches associated with these types of grains to act like thick glue to my arteries... through proper exercise and balance of meal planning, them saturated fats didnt have time to "stick around", if you will...

Each person will react different based on the dietary intake of choosing. Collaboration with your doctor will also help determine how far one should go with the intake of saturated fats...