Raw veggies, What's safe?

Options
Could anyone tell me what veggies are safe to eat raw?
I've read so many different things now, and it's getting confusing. One minute i'm reading raw spinach is ok to eat...then i'm reading it's full of harmful toxins and shouldn't be eaten raw! And it's like that with every vegetable!
I'd really appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Everything but corn?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any veggies (at least, among the ones I eat) that are unsafe to eat raw. Where did you get your information on toxic spinach from?

That said, some vegetables are easier to eat cooked. Some (like spinach) are easier for the body to get nutrients from when they are cooked. Also, adding a little fat, such as from sauteeing in oil or butter, can help the body absorb more nutrients from vegetables.

The only situation I know of in which vegetables *need* to be cooked are cruciform vegetables eaten by people with hypothyroidism. But if your thyroid function is normal, then it's totally fine to eat raw broccoli, etc.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Everything but corn?
    really? I've eaten corn raw plenty of times...
    I also eat raw spinach, and have never heard anything about it not being healthy. The only food I would be cautious about is tubers (potatoes etc)...some types have toxins in them that are deactivated when you cook them.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    It was a joke really.
    =D
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Don't eat eggplant raw.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've heard of that has to be cooked is eggplant, but I can't remember why. Everything else is fine. Things like potatoes won't taste very good raw though....

As for spinach, I eat raw spinach every day. Tons of people add it to smoothies, its fine raw.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I agree that all are fine raw. You do want to wash well before consuming. I use a mixture of lemon, baking soda, vinegar, and water. If interested, let me know and I'll get you the correct measurements of each.

This includes washing things like melons. If you don't wash the outside, you risk cross contamination as the knife slices through from the outside to the fruit within.

I also try to grow as many of my own veggies as possible...limited space, but every little bit helps. The rest I buy local whenever possible.

However, I also try not to get too freaked out about it. I figure any raw vegetable is better than the processed and fast foods I used to eat. :)
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I prefer most vegetables raw to cooked. They can taste totally different.

Potatoes are not good raw - I tried as a child :), nor are aubergines.

Cauliflower is delicous raw - to me it spoils it to cook it, carrots are fab as they are, peas - yumm.

I often make salads, but rather than using typical salad leaves, I will use chopped up courgette, cauliflower, peas straight from the pod, onion etc. thinly sliced mushrooms...
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I prefer all of my veggies raw, to me they taste so much better and you don't lose any nutrients from the cooking process. There are many diets and forums out there you can google on raw food diets, veggetables especially, with smoked fish and other foods. It is so much better for you than cooked or processed foods.
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are poisonous when raw and consumed in large quantities. I really hope the rest are good for you, I eat raw broccoli./spinach/carrots all the time!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Every time you eat raw you're gambling with the possibility of there being a food-borne pathogen on it. But don't let those scare stories on the news bother you. Statistically, your chances of improving your health with all the awesome nutrients in raw spinach is much higher than your chances of damaging it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Everything but corn?

Corn isn't a vegetable and neither are potatoes.

Both are starches. Corn is a grain and potatoes are tubers.

Neither one should be eaten raw
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If a tomato is a fruit is it OK to eat raw?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I prefer all of my veggies raw, to me they taste so much better and you don't lose any nutrients from the cooking process. There are many diets and forums out there you can google on raw food diets, veggetables especially, with smoked fish and other foods. It is so much better for you than cooked or processed foods.
    If raw diets are so healthy, why do women who stay on raw food diets invariably stop menstruating? Raw foods are much harder for the human body to digest., meaning that it is harder to get complete nutrition from a raw food diet.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If raw diets are so healthy, why do women who stay on raw food diets invariably stop menstruating? Raw foods are much harder for the human body to digest., meaning that it is harder to get complete nutrition from a raw food diet.

invariably stop menstruating? please state your source

also- I agree with the quoted individual above, you get much more out of the veggies if you dont boil them down to mush.

Also, I believe eggplant is the only one you shouldnt just scarf down. You can eat a little bit of raw potato, but i dont recommend eating more than a large one, total.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Everything but corn?

Corn isn't a vegetable and neither are potatoes.

Both are starches. Corn is a grain and potatoes are tubers.

Neither one should be eaten raw

i think you will find a potato IS a vegi at the end of the day! lol :bigsmile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Green, yellow, purple and red veggies are healthy raw.
    Ignore anybody who says different. Some people live their whole lives in fear and misery, and misery loves company.
    They'll have you eating nothing but tofu and seaweed if you're lucky.
    IGNORE THEM :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    potatoes are vodka, hth
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Carrots can be unpredictable, particularly if they've been drinking. Definitely not safe.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I used to love eating raw sliced potato as a kid! I love a lot of veggies raw but never heard anything as far as raw veggies being unsafe other than the need to wash them first.