Fish

Options
JediSwan
JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
I know its healthy to eat fish and that you should weekly at some point but I cannot stand fish. I hate the taste and have to choke it down. I can only eat tuna every so often and the only reason I eat it is because "i'm suppose to." I have had tilapia, salmon, tuna, and I'm sure a few others but I just can't get past the taste. Even when seasoned and cooked with other things. Any suggestions?

Replies

• thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't like Fish :I've never liked Fish :tongue:

For protein I eat a lot of chicken , nuts and ham.
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You are setting yourself up for failure by eating foods you flat out do not like. Why do it? There are many many other ways to get your protein in.

Cottage cheese, nuts, chicken, eggs, etc.

Don't force yourself to eat anything you don't like.
  • JediSwan
    Options
    Its mostly for the Omega3 and whatnot. I know there are other ways. Just trying to give myself variety.
    I can only eat chicken if its almost burnt. I have a big fear of eating undercooked food. I am doing alright with eggs.
    I dont eat red meat (beef) unless there's nothing else available (i.e,. my in-laws cook a LOT of it).

I am working on expanding but when I make/buy anything i have to make sure the hubby and kids will eat it too.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    dont eat fish....?

eat things you like, because it will be impossible to stick to a lifestyle change if you cant stand what youre doing.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

You forgot bacon...bacon has protein.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options

You forgot bacon...bacon has protein.

Oh that's part of my macronutrients: carbs, fats, proteins and bacons.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    Tuna and salmon are strong flavored fish. Tilapia can also have an earthy flavor to it, probably because they literally eat crap. Have you tried the milder flavored white fishes? Cod, Swai, Haddock, Halibut... Also, removing the skin from skin-on filets can lessen the fishy taste.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    As we speak, I'm eating albacore now because I hate tuna! You shouldn't give up on fish entirely. Try some new varieties until you find one that you can enjoy. Grouper is very good. So is mahi mahi. If you can't eat it, then you just can't eat it, but I'm willing to bet there are lots of types of fish that you haven't tried.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself. There are a lot of options out there. If you want to give it a go still then think about trying a little of the fish someone else is eating and see if you like it (if they are amenable to sharing). You might dislike salmon, but love smoked salmon. Hate tinned tuna, but love tuna steak for example.

Maybe try meatier fish like monkfish or scallops.

Ahhh, now I would kill for a nice bit of fish. I've made myself hungry and kippers with poached egg would go down a treat.
  • JediSwan
    Options
    What are kippers? :)

Bacon!? I used to eat turkey bacon a lot until I met my husband . .. eat loves bacon. So now because we dont eat much
    beef, I buy regular old bacon for him. Makes him happy. However, our 7 year old only likes turkey bacon. So . . . sometimes
    I make both.

I have not had mahi mahi but see it everywhere. I may try it. My husband LOVES fish and so I want to make it for him also
    which is why I'm trying to find one that I like too.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Kippers are smoked herrings. Glorious to eat for breakfast. *drools*
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i too am a fish hater...my parents made me try it when i was a kid and i never liked it....ever!!!

will eat tuna from a can...love it...

...salmon in a can...ill pass!!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Don't eat food that you don't like. There are plenty of sources of protein. If you want the benefit of fish, you can try fish oil capsules.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im not a big fan of fish either. but i love it raw. the only kind of cook fish i really like are the more meaty kinds and not the flaky kinds. like mahi mahi. i love making fish tacos with it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I believe that If you don't like it don't force yourself to eat it. You have to live with the food choices you are making so best to stick to foods you enjoy.

I like cod and smoked Haddock, the smoking seems to take that "fishy" taste away and tinned tuna is my best friend.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    hmm
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Wow, I guess I am the odd one out because I love fish! I have always been a huge seafood fan :D However, you can definitely have other sources of protein such as chicken, nuts, and eggs.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I'm dreaming of a pie made with filo pastry, asparagus, smoked salmon and goat's cheese now. Of fishfinger sandwiches. Of kippers. Of kedgeree. Hmmmm.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I eat some haddock once every few weeks....and that's with lemon pepper crumbs on it and such...otherwise..no fish...no seafood of any kind.

I live on chicken, pork, beef, and dairy.
  • thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I personally love smoked fish more than fried or broiled fish. You taste the smokiness of it, not the fishy flavor. If you are able to find some or make some, I highly recommend it :)