Just wanna cry. :(

Options
2»

Replies

• gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    you need to give yourself a break,you are not a failure you are under severe pressure and its so hard!I know I have 5 kids I am also full time carer to my mum who is 83 has Alzheimers and has now lost her sight,you need to be good to yourself the ways I know are a good book for 10 mins before bed,a sneaky little chocolate bar that I hide(yeah I know this is childish!!!!) The gym is my lifesaver Im there at 6.45 in the morning I do realise thats not everyones idea of pleasure but it keeps me sane.What Im saying is find that little thing to make you happy and when you feel a bit happier you will focus on your goals you wont when you are miserable,so look at how great you are,whats past is past look to tomorrow!
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling. I'm also a mom working full time, on the PTA board and American Cancer Society board as well. I have a hard time fitting exercise in as well, and think it's key to my weight loss. I hope you can forgive yourself, be patient, and make one good choice at a time. It's hard, but we can do it. Feel free to add me. :flowerforyou:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Ufdah! , that's rough. I know you're not looking for advice, but I'm gonna give some anyway.

1) Make your emotional needs a priority. I know you want to make your family a priority, but they are better off with a happy mama than a upset one - even if she has slightly less time with them.
    2) I've always hated exercise, until I tried kettlebells. I do free workout videos from livefitrevolution.org.
    3) Whatever eating regimens you've tried in the past - try something different. Some people do better with low fat, others do better with low carb. I'm a low carb / high fat kinda guy, but that's just what works for me.
    4) Make your dietary needs a priority. Don't make one version of food for you and one for the family. It's not your job to make sure everybody has exactly what they want. If they can't hang with your diet, they can learn how to cook.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you.
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cry. Just have you a good old fashioned, tantrum, crying with the snot, maybe even stump. Do it! Then when it's over, make a plan. You are so frustrated that you want to cry that you sent that very long detailed post. Now be frustrated to go after the things you want.

Plenty of people have gained, lost, tried, failed, etc. You are not alone. But you can take control. All of the things you have to overcome to get there are obstacles that you can overcome. And don't worry about what other folks think about your journey. You don't not have the time to spare. I'm no expert and I refocused once again yesterday, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Please don't starve. You should eat when you're hungry. It's all about what we eat. If your husband is now doing the shopping, that's cool. Give him a list of things you need for your goals. Get up earlier. If you give yourself 30 extra minutes in the morning you'd be amazed at what you can get done. You can plan your meals or you can actually get a workout in (Jillian Micheal's 30-day shred is 26 minutes including warm and cool down and I'm sure there are other videos). Sit down and work out what will WORK FOR YOU!

Enroll people in your real life. Tell them your goals, tell them your struggles and tell them how they can help you and then ask for that help. If that's going to your boss and asking if you can take extended lunches to workout during the day, if it's some co-workers taking turns preparing healthy lunch options for one another, if, if, if. There is no one way to get this done.

This thing is hard. It takes commitment and focus. You determine for yourself today (or whenever you're ready) that you will not fail. That you are worth getting up for, working out, pushing yourself to do things that your initial thought is that you can't. You have to work past those thoughts, those feelings. They are not real rather they are only as real as you make them. So get started AGAIN!! Declare your goals AGAIN!! Get some new MFP friends AGAIN! Keep trying until you get to where you want to be and can maintain. This is your life and you should fight to be your best self in it. You are worth the struggle, the frustration, the tears!! All the best!
  • aaarrgghhh
    aaarrgghhh Posts: 12
    Options
    And this is one of the reasons I keep coming back here. Not just because I'm determined to not give up, but also because the support I find here is so overwhelming!! Thank you so much for all the responses! It really does help to know that I'm not alone and that so many people are rooting for me, even though they don't know me.

I, too, love Taco Bell.

And I'll put a picture up later, when I'm at home. I used my lunch break to write this. :)
  • sharont81
    sharont81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wanted to reply and tell you that I am in the exact place you are. I understand the frustration you feel and feel the same way. I have began to begin at the beginning again.
    Keep a diary of foods, exercise and mostly journal how i am feeling.

Sharon
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If its important, you'll make the time and enjoy the challenge of having to adapt your new schedule to your new lifestyle and the satisfaction that comes with the success in doing so and then you'll plow forward with a smile on your face.

If its not important, you'll come up with a million excuses and call them reasons and use your new schedule as a chance to drop out of your new lifestyle and you'll have all the satisfaction that comes with a few virtual hugs on the internet that come when strangers pat you on the back and say its ok that you stopped trying.

Edit: I should have said:

Youve gotta start reading more about what you need to do, so you can understand it well enough to work it into your life, instead of gathering bits of old and new information from too many sources and trying to stick to everything.

If you try to do EVERYTHING right, you're setting yourself up to fail. You need to set yourself up to succeed!!!!
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    4) Make your dietary needs a priority. Don't make one version of food for you and one for the family. It's not your job to make sure everybody has exactly what they want. If they can't hang with your diet, they can learn how to cook.

I love this advice!!! I remember when I was a child and my Ma would start a new healthy eating program...I'd be SO stoked to eat the food with her, it was SO MUCH BETTER than the Kraft Dinner I was use to. Two Words: PITA PIZZAS!!!!!

I live with two children under seven and make their dinners. Sometimes what I eat and what they eat is a bit different, for example if I'm making them a tasty casserole..I'll put one scoop of it ontop of my salad instead of just having an entire bowl of it (or multiple bowls of it like I use to) so I can have a wee taste of it. Recently, the older child has been requesting lettuce with HER dinner too like I do-so my habits are rubbing off on them.
    Your family may be more supportive of your diet menu than you think, have a solid conversation about this with DH and give him a list of things to get at the grocery store.

MORE importantly: WELCOME BACK!!! I just came back after not being here FOR TWO YEARS. We deserve to forgive ourselves, I work on that everyday. To forgive myself for being back here, at the same weight I was once after taking a bunch of it off a year ago. Forgive and let go-and find the lightness to it all. I'm having so much fun on MFP-it's amazing for me to develop a network of likeminded people here. It's taken a lot of pressure off my relationship and helps to make me accountable.
    I'm NOT backing down this time, everyday is a new lesson for me.

Add me as a friend if you'd like ! We're all on the same journey.
    xo
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're upset. I have been in your shoes more than once. I have been trying to lose weight since I was 13. I don't know about you but I have a pretty bad "all or none" mentality and times and it was really hurting me. I'd start a diet and if I didnt do EVERYTHING perfectly I'd quit because I figured I failed. One thing I am being to learn is that this is not a race. I always treated it like a race to the finish. Im really trying to teach myself that this is a lovely wonderful stroll through life and that each day is a new day to make good choices.

I also have the mentality that I want it NOW and I DONT want to wait and that is something I'm having to overcome.

Cliche but the weight didnt come on overnight and it's not going off overnight.

What if you pick one small thing YOU CAN live with. I dont know your personal vices but one of mine was soda. So I started NO soda and it was hard but I got the point where I could live with that. Another one I did was NO trans fat. So now I'm at the point where I wont eat anything with trans fat in it. Step by step.

You ARE worth the fight for your good health! It will happen tiny bit by tiny bit!
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I keep trying and failing and trying and failing and trying again. And failing again. And I'm so frustrated with myself, with my weight going back up, with my lack of motivation lately that I just want to curl up in bed and cry.

I hope my *new* name here on MFP at least somewhat expresses my level of frustration.

This is my third attempt at MFP.

I was very successful in my first attempt. I KNOW this site works. I had great friends on here, and I lost 40 lbs. I haven't even told any of my friends that I'm back because when I came back for my second attempt I failed miserably, over and over and over, and I am sure they're tired of hearing from me by now! I imagine they all think I'm making excuses, and that I'm just going to give up again, and I just don't want to feel like an *kitten* AGAIN if I should fail even one more time.

Though if any of them read this, they will probably know it's me.

During my first attempt here I found a number of ways to incorporate exercise into my every day life. And I think that was the key, exercise had become a normal part of my life. It wasn't intentional exercise, it was part of a new active lifestyle I had created. It was something I enjoyed, something I looked forward to. I was biking to work regularly. I was running both for exercise AND for stress relief and some time to myself. I was playing tennis with my sister on the weekends.

My situation has since changed. I changed jobs and now work too far away to bike there. I now spend three hours a day in my car commuting, which cuts into exercise and planning time dramatically. My sister hurt her back and can no longer play tennis. I am a mom, I have FOUR children in my home. Between working, commuting, and all the normal obligations a mother has, like shopping, cooking, cleaning, driving kids to lessons and such... There.Is.Just.No.Time.

Not only does this mean exercise time is gone, but time to control my own eating is out the window as well. I used to do my own shopping and make my own meal when the family decided to make something I couldn't have, now I have to rely on my husband to do the shopping, and I have to rely on quick and easy options, which we all know is typically NOT healthy!

When I do actually find myself with a little extra time, exercise is the last thing I want to do. I'm so worn out all the time that, even though I know that regular exercise will give me more energy, it's just so hard to pull myself up off the couch.

Every attempt I make at exercise now seems forced, and I don't EVER look forward to it like I used to. I tried going to the gym during my lunch, but that was making me miserable, so I stopped.

I know all the typical answers and responses, all the advice that is generally handed out to someone in my position. Hell, I've GIVEN the advice in the past! But I just can't seem to follow any of it regularly enough to make a difference and I'm just watching my weight go back up and feeling my pants get tighter and tighter, and I can't seem to get a handle on it again.

Plus, I decided to go back on a diet again today, decided I was going to be serious about it this time! So I logged back in here and reset my goals. I've stuck with it so far today, and ya know what?!?

I'M STARVING!!!

I don't expect you to fix it. The only person who can fix it is me... and I know that. I just needed to vent. Hope you don't mind. :(

If anyone is in the same boat as me and doesn't mind the ups and downs I'm going through, I could probably use some friends. Warning, though: I will likely need LOTS of patience and forgiveness along the way!! At least until I figure out how to fix this problem for good.

I heard Jerry Seinfeld the other day talking about (what he considered) the best advice he ever got. It made him more productive and more motivated to do what he didn't want to do. He got a calendar and did the task the first day. Then he marked a BIG RED X over the day with a marker. His goal was to 'start a chain' of x's. He said when you don't feel like doing it, you look up there and see that long chain that you're about to break and it motivates you to keep going.

When I read your predicament, it made me think that this strategy might be just what you need to stay movtivated.

Good Luck!!!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom, so I hear your frustrations about trying to fit it all in. Luckily my commute is only a 20-minute drive; I don't know how you do it! I'm just going to throw a few ideas out there, simply because I keep finding random ideas in these threads that hadn't occured to me before, or that I just needed a little reminding of.

How's your protein intake in the morning? Different things work for different people, but once I started doing my protein smoothies in the morning, I noticed a HUGE difference in how much energy and motivation I had throughout the rest of the day. I used to just have oatmeal once I got to work, and figured that counted as breakfast, but I feel SO much better throughout the entire day if I have my morning smoothie. If operating a blender that early in the morning won't work for you because of your kids, what about adding protein to overnight oatmeal? I can't give protein enough credit for giving me the oomph to DO my exercising instead of thinking about it, or beating myself up for not doing it.

Do you take public transportation to work? If not, can you? If you're not the one driving, maybe you could walk laps inside the train for a significant portion of the commute?

Can you take 30 minutes a day of "Mom time" and make it sacred, only to be disturbed if the house is burning down? A happy, healthy you is a better mom, even if it's 30 minutes less a day. I bought a cheap-but-sturdy elliptical and put it in the living room; that's pretty much the only way I could guarantee I'd get cardio. I can do it before my daughter wakes up, after she goes to bed, while she's playing...it gives me options that don't require a babysitter. Maybe you could do something similar and shut yourself in the bedroom with an elliptical and a kick-*kitten* soundtrack? I found one on Overstock for $200 (including shipping), and you can find them used for less.

How truly supportive is your hubby? One of my friends just signed herself and her husband up on this site. When he saw the difference in calories for him and her to maintain weight, and calories burned for the same amount of exercise, he became WAY more supportive of her eating habits and portion sizing. He just had no clue what a significant difference there would be because of gender and a couple inches of height, so was unintentionally dismissive of her efforts. That doesn't even touch on the men that would prefer their women to be overweight and feeling bad about themselves all around -- hopefully yours isn't one of those.

Amy's Kitchen makes some delicious frozen meals that aren't "diet food" or filled with things I can't pronounce. They're my fallback for when I can't make my massive pots of food on the weekends to stick in the freezer for lunches & dinners throughout the week. And I do fallback frequently....I'm getting better at it, though. I like to make big pots of soup or other dishes and divvy them up into 2-cup pyrex bowls -- perfect for freezing and taking to work for lunch, or having for dinner. I know it takes time (maybe get the kids involved in preparation?), but having plenty of those on hand would be great for when the family is eating something you don't want to add to your food log.

I also love the earlier comment about not cooking separately for you and your family. You should be eating a normal, sustainable diet -- food that is perfectly healthy for your family, too. If your hubby makes something you don't want, sure, eat your own thing -- but if you're the one cooking, there's no reason to not share your new healthy habits with them. After all, you want your kids to grow up with healthy eating habits, instead of having to overcome bad habits later, right?

If you truly don't have any more time in the day, then something's gotta give. If you're like most women/moms, that something is usually YOU. The kids will be okay learning how to spend a little more time on their own. The husband will be okay spending a little more time parenting or flying solo, They'll all be okay if you take a little time from them and give it back to yourself -- you're teaching them that you are to be valued, and teaching them that taking care of yourself is important. You're setting a good example. It's a lot harder to do than say, I know. But you CAN do it.

*edit* Almost forgot -- can you bring an exercise ball to work? I find it helpful to just take 5 minutes here and there to do some core-strengthening. Not enough to get sweaty at work, but enough to just get me moving around for a bit (I sit behind a desk all day). And sometimes I just go take a walk around the building and go up the stairs a few times -- or go to the furthest bathroom on a different floor -- just to get moving. Little things that don't take much time, and aren't big workouts in themselves, but add up to an overall increased activity level.

Also, if you're feeling overwhelmed, how about making a list of everything you want to change, and just focusing on one of them at a time? For example, "this week I will take the stairs 10 times." Do that for a week or two, and then add in "this week I will get in two cardio sessions of at least 20 minutes." Do that, then add in the next piece ("this week I will make healthy frozen meals for myself?")....and so on, and so on. Huge lifestyle changes aren't easy, I know! Don't feel weak if it seems like too much; just take it a piece at a time. You've done it before, you can definitely do it again. :)