Adding Friends question

Options
I am new here and I am not really sure what the benefit of "adding someone as a friend" is. Can someone please explain to me what happens when you have a list of friends? I understand you can send someone a private message, I'm just not sure what adding friends is all about. I have been doing some looking, but haven't found the answer yet.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    They'll see your various posts - like when you exercise, how long, how many calories burned, etc. Benefits = they help to hold you accountable, keep you motivated, and you, in turn , can help motivate them/comment on their activities.
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have made some wonderful friends through this site. They hold me accountable and motivate me every day. They can respond to my posts and I can respond to theirs. It has helped me tremendously to know that I have other people holding me accountable and who are there to help me when I struggle and cheer me on when I am doing great. We are all working toward the same goals and everyone here is less likely to get annoyed with all my exercise posts that I can't post on facebook because my real friends get annoyed if I post too many fitness things there! LOL
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far. I have another question. How do I know if someone I am friends with has posted something. Do I get some type of notification (like email)?
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    your home page that shows all of your activity.... when you have friends their activity will show up there too :)
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I think the social aspect of this site is just as important as the food/exercise tools. The friends I have are supportive and encouraging through my ups and downs, and I try to be there for them. I like that I can go on and on about health and fitness stuff without annoying the people I know IRL, but we also talk about other things. As I get to know my friends, I'm learning I have a lot in common with them - things that have nothing to do with weight - and I can connect with them on a more personal level.

I also find that unlike real life, where everyone has an opinion and thinks you should follow it, my friends on here know when to just "be there" for me if I'm having a hard time without insisting I do things their way.
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    you will see it on your home page! If they respond to one of your posts, ie..your exercise or food log, I get an email! It is sort of like the news feed on facebook, if you are familiar with that! : )
  • Angiehanzen1013
    Angiehanzen1013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think the social aspect of this site is just as important as the food/exercise tools. The friends I have are supportive and encouraging through my ups and downs, and I try to be there for them. I like that I can go on and on about health and fitness stuff without annoying the people I know IRL, but we also talk about other things. As I get to know my friends, I'm learning I have a lot in common with them - things that have nothing to do with weight - and I can connect with them on a more personal level.

I also find that unlike real life, where everyone has an opinion and thinks you should follow it, my friends on here know when to just "be there" for me if I'm having a hard time without insisting I do things their way.

Couldn't agree with this more! I have failed attempts in the past, but it wasn't until I added friends (and was willing to put myself out there) that I really found success:)
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    It really helps to have someone giving you encouragements, tips, cheer you on and knowing you are not alone.
    I have added a lot of people, some have not been active so I have been cruel and deleted them others are more active.
    I find it more fun to log and do great when I know there are others seeing my diary and being supportive.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Imo it's the most important part of the site next to the calorie tracker.

The forums are mean, usually confusing, arenas of conflict. But your friend feed is a much closer, much more real base of support and motivation.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can add me to see what it is like and then delete me I will not be upset. but I do find that there is a bit more motivation when others are check up on me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Imo it's the most important part of the site next to the calorie tracker.

The forums are mean, usually confusing, arenas of conflict. But your friend feed is a much closer, much more real base of support and motivation.

Some people add friends for eye candy. Personally, I'm all about the brain candy!

*sits back and waits for obligatory zombie reference*
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First off, I love your screen name! You do receive an email if someone post anything to your profile or comments on one of your updates.
    I was a little reluctant to add friends at first, but am so glad I did, It's like having your own weight loss cheerleaders! If you decide to add some friends feel free to send me a request. Good luck!
  • Pinknspooky
    Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just find it easier to stick to it if I know people are watching me and it is great to have someone supporting you and congratulating on your successes and commiserating when you have a bad day - I have tried to go it alone it doesn't work for me

I also tend to pick friends who have a similar amount of weight as me to lose as we are on the same path so to speak