570 lb cyclist. Great story.

Options
Here is a link to a motivating story about Ernest Gagnon. A 30 year old cyclist weighing 570 lbs.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/a-bicycle-and-a-few-friends-lead-a-big-man-into-an-even-bigger-world_226368

Replies

• shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for linking this. My dad's always been a cyclist and I have a fondness for that sport above others. I loved the article
  • sixfootaliw
    Options
    Amazing and inspirational story!

I often wonder how many people who have weight loss surgery could have lost the weight via exercise and diet if only they didn't feel that shame right at the start. I am sure many of us know that embarassment at sticking out like a sore thumb because of our size and I can fully understand why it stops many people.

Good on the chap for pushing through it and for the cycling community for accepting him!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I love this!!!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    wow. what an inspiration. I can't imagine that big of a battle, I don't know If I could have done it myself.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    What is more awesome about this story is the very fit looking cyclist that looked beyond this guys weight to help him...there are decent people in the world. Bravo to all of them.
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Awesome story.....so happy that this young man got his reality check and did something about it. It also proves that there are some really decent people left in the world! Kudos to them all!!
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Inspiring story. Thanks for providing the link.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!

I definitely had concerns before I tried to take on running because I felt like I was too big for anyone to take seriously and that I would be laughed at during my first 5K. Not only was the running community incredibly supportive, but I learned that athletes come in all different shapes and sizes. I love that he refused surgery, the "easy" way out, and instead pursued his inner desire. Yay!
  • LaPati
    LaPati Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful story, thank you for sharing.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, both side are an inspiration.