Am I Carb Sensitive?

I'm gonna just lay it all out there cause I am totally at a loss for why I am having such a hard time losing weight consistently. Thanks in advance for any answers!

I've been consistently exercising for 2 months now. At least 1 hour daily of walking, jogging, hiking (sometimes up to 5 hours a day if I go on a hike which burns sick calories) In the beginning, I was eating 1200 calories a day of whatever and... nothing, I took some advice and cut out all drinks but water and one cup of coffee a day. Boom 6 lbs lost in a week. By the by, I lost 13 lbs, then suddenly jumped back up 5 lbs and it's been stuck that way off an on for a month. I'm 180 at 5'0.

I tend to eat all my calories within 5-6 hrs of each other and usually during the evening night hours because I normally don't wake up until noon because of my sleep sched. I'm eating 1200 calories of bread, peanut butter, meats, potatoes, processed foods and so forth. I've been told that I might be carb sensitive because I have an endomorphic body type. (Short, stalky) Even at my smallest (120 lbs) I had thicker arms and thighs which doesnt bother me. I have noticed that I am building muscle in my arms and legs on a significant level from carrying weights while walking and hiking gear but the fat seems to be staying put. Is it possible that 1200 calories of carb rich foods is just not the correct diet for me? Even with all this calorie burning? I'm working reaaaallly, reaallly hard and I feel stronger yes, but not looking it.

Please feel free to take a peek at my diary and PM if you'd like. I just have no idea what I should do differently. I've had my thyroid checked and my blood sugar and all these come back normal. If there's a good low carb diet or any other advice please please direct me to it. I've been trying since January to lose this 60 lbs and it's just so hard to get it off and I'm losing faith.

I'm sorry if this is your typical whiney rant, but I've just kind of run out of ideas.

Thanks so much for reading :-)

Replies

• AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    I, personally, have PCOS and have only started to lose weight by reducing my carbs. I am a nursing mother, so I haven't reduced them drastically to Atkins Induction Level, but even to about 100g a day has helped me to drop about 4lbs i think it is, in a week (I'm currently hiding from the scale as of today, i can be a bit obsessive). It really can't hurt to look into reducing carbs. When I did, I saw that I was really overdoing it with the carbs, as in breads, crackers, processed junk, etc.

I don't think it means you're doing anything "wrong" you just may need to rearrange the way you do things for your body. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Lots of people don't do well on low carb ways of eating, but MANY do, and its not temporary, its a major change.

Good luck!!!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    I personally don't believe in 'carb sensitive' the way most people use it or endomorphic (or any of the other) body types. They do not hold with what I know about human biology, which is more than the average person.

Carb sensitive, to me, means you are on your way to diabetes. If this is the case, you will have other symptoms besides difficulty losing weight.

I suspect your problem lies elsewhere. I doubt it's the carbs' fault. My best advice for you is: Eat quality protein, quality fat, fruits and veggies, then fill in the rest with carbs. I suggest getting about 30% of your calories from protein, 30% from fat, and the rest from fruits/veggies/grains, etc. Eat more than 1200 calories. Eat your exercise calories. And then have faith. Stay on the program for a month.

If you don't lose after that... perhaps a visit to your doctor is in order. As for a referral to a good dietitian or nutritionist or life-style coach.
  • Iguana67
    Iguana67 Posts: 8
    I think many people are sugar sensitive, and I try to follow a low GI (Glycaemic Index) diet where possible, so excluding foods such as all processed sugars, white bread, white pasta, white rice, and sugary items such as tomato ketchup and baked beans. Also some fruits are better than others: all the berries are great: strawberries, raspberries, etc etc: whereas bananas and grapes are to be avoided. a nutritionist called Patrick Holford is well worth reading, (The Patrick Holford diet) as he explains how a high GI diet can stop you losing weight. So if your 1200 calories are of a high GI, this can be harder to lose weight on than a 1200 calorie diet of low GI foods. Do a bit of googling!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    I too have PCOS and cannot lose unless I low carb, no processed foods or sugar either. If i keep them all out of my diet the loss is slow and steady. I too have to keep a high level of exercise but I mix it up all the time so my body doesn't get used to it and expect it and adjust for it and burn less.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Sounds like you need to eat a more balanced diet if you just eat carbs, meats and processed food. How much fruit and veg do you eat?

Also are you sure 1200 calories is enough if you are exercising 1-2 hours a day? Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    You should just slug nothing but grilled boneless skinless chicken breast and scrambled eggs for a week...Get lean and swole.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Sounds like you need to eat a more balanced diet if you just eat carbs, meats and processed food. How much fruit and veg do you eat?

Also are you sure 1200 calories is enough if you are exercising 1-2 hours a day? Are you eating back your exercise calories?

^^This. 1200 calories a day is WAY to low for someone who is as active as you are, regardless of your height. Eat back your exercise calories too. You should start noticing a difference. Otherwise, if you don't eat your exercise cals back, your body tries to preserve fat because you're not giving the body enough fuel.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    In flipping back through your diary, you on average NET below 1000 calories a day which is too low. If you are you logging everything accurately?? And it appears you're not eating back your exercise calories too?? Not to mention the lack of any fresh fruits or veggies in your diet. You need to eat more and eat healthier. Your metabolism has probably slowed down due to lack of nutrients and calories! The elimination of food (carbs as you mentioned) is the last thing you should consider. EAT!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I'm gonna just lay it all out there cause I am totally at a loss for why I am having such a hard time losing weight consistently. Thanks in advance for any answers!

I've been consistently exercising for 2 months now. At least 1 hour daily of walking, jogging, hiking (sometimes up to 5 hours a day if I go on a hike which burns sick calories) In the beginning, I was eating 1200 calories a day of whatever and... nothing, I took some advice and cut out all drinks but water and one cup of coffee a day. Boom 6 lbs lost in a week. By the by, I lost 13 lbs, then suddenly jumped back up 5 lbs and it's been stuck that way off an on for a month. I'm 180 at 5'0.

I tend to eat all my calories within 5-6 hrs of each other and usually during the evening night hours because I normally don't wake up until noon because of my sleep sched. I'm eating 1200 calories of bread, peanut butter, meats, potatoes, processed foods and so forth. I've been told that I might be carb sensitive because I have an endomorphic body type. (Short, stalky) Even at my smallest (120 lbs) I had thicker arms and thighs which doesnt bother me. I have noticed that I am building muscle in my arms and legs on a significant level from carrying weights while walking and hiking gear but the fat seems to be staying put. Is it possible that 1200 calories of carb rich foods is just not the correct diet for me? Even with all this calorie burning? I'm working reaaaallly, reaallly hard and I feel stronger yes, but not looking it.

Please feel free to take a peek at my diary and PM if you'd like. I just have no idea what I should do differently. I've had my thyroid checked and my blood sugar and all these come back normal. If there's a good low carb diet or any other advice please please direct me to it. I've been trying since January to lose this 60 lbs and it's just so hard to get it off and I'm losing faith.

I'm sorry if this is your typical whiney rant, but I've just kind of run out of ideas.

Thanks so much for reading :-)

My first question is if you are eating back any of your exercise calories? if you are not eating back any, you could be under eating, and THAT could be slowing down your weight loss. I aim to NET 1000-1200 calories a day after exercise--sometimes that means I eat 2400 calories a day!

you very well could be carb sensitive. Try cutting down to 150g of carbs for a few weeks and see what happens. This means reducing your bread, rice, potatoes, etc and getting most of your carbs from non starchy veggies and low GI fruits such as berries.

I have a history of insulin resistance...I worked out 3-4x a week for 90 minutes and ate according to the MFP suggested macros for 3 months ( about 200-250g of carbs a day). IN that time I lost 7 pounds--but spent 2 months gaining and losing the same 3 lbs. 2 months ago I cut my carbs down to less than 100g NET per day. I still eat carbs--over the weekend I even had some potato chips--but I am selective about the ones I eat. The first week I lost 4.8 pounds, and every week since I have lost another 1-1.5 pounds. When I gain weight, it is always gone in a few days and takes a little more with it! For me, it is evidence that my IR is back, and that my body LIKES less carbs.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS after gaining over 100 pounds in three months- I am insulin resistant, and extremely carb sensitive. I got put on metformin, switched to a low-carb diet and lost 140 pounds (40 pound bonus beyond what I'd gained :happy: ). I kept the weight off for quite some time (about 6 years) and was actually able to stay off the medication as long as I kept my carbs in check. Then I had a baby three years ago and put about 50 pounds back on. I was being stubborn about going back on the Metformin since I'd lived without it for so long, and was convinced I could just lose the weight without it. Well, three years and one stint in the hospital with my bum pancreas later, and I finally told my doctor I was ready to be put back on my medication. The weight is steadily coming off without putting in near the amount of work I was doing before. When you have insulin resistance, it's really an uphill battle to try and lose weight on a traditional low-cal/low-fat diet.
  • lahstrand
    lahstrand Posts: 32 Member
    A study in JAMA came out this week about all calories not being equal. Here's an editorial about it http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-wartman/caloric-intake-study_b_1638216.html

I'm trying hard to get rid of processed foods and stick to veggies, fruit and high fiber whole grain carbs (steel cut oats, brown rice, quinoa etc). It can only help.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    I personally don't believe in 'carb sensitive' the way most people use it or endomorphic (or any of the other) body types. They do not hold with what I know about human biology, which is more than the average person.

Carb sensitive, to me, means you are on your way to diabetes. If this is the case, you will have other symptoms besides difficulty losing weight.

I suspect your problem lies elsewhere. I doubt it's the carbs' fault. My best advice for you is: Eat quality protein, quality fat, fruits and veggies, then fill in the rest with carbs. I suggest getting about 30% of your calories from protein, 30% from fat, and the rest from fruits/veggies/grains, etc. Eat more than 1200 calories. Eat your exercise calories. And then have faith. Stay on the program for a month.

If you don't lose after that... perhaps a visit to your doctor is in order. As for a referral to a good dietitian or nutritionist or life-style coach.

I would have to agree with above poster. For me I lost no weight exercising/balanced diet etc until the carbs were removed from my diet. Since you have lost weight the normal way I dont believe you are carb sensitive. I worked out 5 months and lost no weight, no cheating, following a diet recommended by doc/trainer NOTHING! found out I had some serious underlining issues like pre diabetes/IR and had to change my diet for those reasons.
  • Bnicleve
    Bnicleve Posts: 14
    Thank you so much for all your replies! Based on everyone's advice, I've been thinking about how I approach eating everyday. I'm not undereating intentionally to lose weight, I tend to get so busy that I forget to eat (which is why I'll never understand how I gained so much weight in the first place...must have been the beer!) I don't necessarily think I am carb sensitive so much, but that I am probably eating the wrong kind of carbs and not putting fuel back in my body. I don't normally eat back my exercise calories because I thought I was suppose to burn 500 more than I eat anyway. So I was and still am kinda confused about that.

I think my next goal is to cut out as much processed food as possible and drop my carb intake to 100g to start and see how that works for the next 2 weeks AND to eat back the calories I burn when I workout. I'll weigh and report back!

Thanks again for all the advice! It means a lot to get such great support for knowledgeable folks!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Thank you so much for all your replies! Based on everyone's advice, I've been thinking about how I approach eating everyday. I'm not undereating intentionally to lose weight, I tend to get so busy that I forget to eat (which is why I'll never understand how I gained so much weight in the first place...must have been the beer!) I don't necessarily think I am carb sensitive so much, but that I am probably eating the wrong kind of carbs and not putting fuel back in my body. I don't normally eat back my exercise calories because I thought I was suppose to burn 500 more than I eat anyway. So I was and still am kinda confused about that.

MFP builds in a deficit of 500 cal when it gives you your nutritional goals. Right now MY BMR is 1990 calories a day, but my calorie goal set by MFP is 1490--so if I exercise and eat back my calories, I STILL have a deficit big enough to lose 1lb a week ( I am losing about 1.25-1.5 a week...). If I do NOT eat back my exercise calories, I am at risk of being hungry and grumpy AND not giving my body what it needs. you wouldn't PLAN to only eat 500 calories a day, would you? but if you are eating 1000 calories a day and burning 500, that is essentially what you are doing.
  • Bnicleve
    Bnicleve Posts: 14

MFP builds in a deficit of 500 cal when it gives you your nutritional goals. Right now MY BMR is 1990 calories a day, but my calorie goal set by MFP is 1490--so if I exercise and eat back my calories, I STILL have a deficit big enough to lose 1lb a week ( I am losing about 1.25-1.5 a week...). If I do NOT eat back my exercise calories, I am at risk of being hungry and grumpy AND not giving my body what it needs. you wouldn't PLAN to only eat 500 calories a day, would you? but if you are eating 1000 calories a day and burning 500, that is essentially what you are doing.

Okay, that makes soooo much sense now, I totally get it when you put it in terms like that. Damn, no wonder, I guess I really was starving myself. I'm on track now though, had a healthy breakfast and food set up for the whole day. Thanks again all!