workout becomes addictive???

Options
WHEN will this happen?
I can remember a time YEARS AND YEARS ago when I loved it-
but right now I am constantly arguing with myself, this is the conversation... (in my head)

"you need to go, you will feel better"
"you didn't put anything in the crockpot this morning, just skip"
"you need to go, you will like yourself more"
"who cares, my husband is not even responding to my changes"
"You need to go, you are so close to beating your lowest adult weight yet"
"You don't have time" "You are SO tired" ...and the beat goes on and on

HELP !!!!!!

Replies

• kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    For me it really has. If I haven't been very active during the day (like Sunday which is supposed to be my day of rest-lol) I just start doing jumping jacks and feel sooooo much better!
    My suggestion to you is to find an activity that you really love. For me it is Zumba. It is so damn fun that you are sorry when the hr (or 90min) is up! I weigh 136 and burn aprox 450 calories in 1hr. But a lot of heavier girls in my classes burn anywhere from 700-1000 calories!
    Once you find an activity that you like it will no longer feel like exercise ;) Good luck!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    One that stands out, have you talked to your husband about not responding?

Mine was the same way till I fessed up about how much it bothered me and now he's my biggest supporter.

Have you progressed enough that you youself can see the changes and that they make you happy. I know that that is my biggest motivator. I clothes shop all the time, I don't buy all the time but I constantly try on and go for smaller sizes to motivate me so I can see how close I am getting to that next size.

You can do it, but you have to want to. The main thing is you do have to do it for you and no one else!!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at first. Honestly you just need to MAKE yourself stick with it for at least a solid two weeks. Then it will become part of your normal routine and skipping it won't even cross your mind anymore. Maybe print out a calendar and write in each day (at least five days a week), what you plan to do for that day and check it off when you complete it.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the "runners high" once I get there.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    Thanks-
    Yes, we have talked about it- my husband and I- - its just one of those struggles-
    I do want this for me, that is why I keep on, I do like the thought of Zumba, but classes intimidate me-
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact it boosts my mood, but that doesn't make it much easier to get up and get started. A little easier, but not much.
  • Kandy0202
    Kandy0202 Posts: 32
    Options
    once you start a workout you like..not dread..you keep doing it and as your body responds to the workouts it becomes aware and you start wanting to do the workouts because it makes you feel better... and anything that makes me feel better,such as my workouts...i want to do all the time ..my opinion anyway
  • seardefilip
    Options
    I had the same problem at first. Honestly you just need to MAKE yourself stick with it for at least a solid two weeks. Then it will become part of your normal routine and skipping it won't even cross your mind anymore. Maybe print out a calendar and write in each day (at least five days a week), what you plan to do for that day and check it off when you complete it.

I will try that- I do like something tangible to hold
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Replace the word "need" with "want." You'll see it makes a lot of difference. Same for "can't." Never say you "can't eat this, or that...replace it with "don't."
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Be like Nike, and "just do it" XD
  • veronicapetchers
    Options
    Maybe u can try switching up what u are doing workout wise. When I was doing P90x I hated it. I complained all of the time and did not enjoy it. Now I am training for a marathon and doing long distant runs. I love it. I am addicted to competing with myself for a better time. Find something that u enjoy more. I think that will help. There are always going to be moments that u don't want to do it. That's normal. When u see consistent results, u will become addicted. Good luck!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks-
    Yes, we have talked about it- my husband and I- - its just one of those struggles-
    I do want this for me, that is why I keep on, I do like the thought of Zumba, but classes intimidate me-

DO IT! They are so much fun. They are way easier than you think! I am better at Zumba than I am in Step class!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks-

see if you can find one that has smaller classes, and dont feel intimidated.
    everyone in those classes is there to have fun, burn and dance! :) try it out and shake ya booty! :)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Thanks-

I understand you totally. I still feel it's fake when he compliments me, like it's somethig I've asked for not something he wants to do. But I guess with me we just have to take what we get.

I personally don't like classes or being at the gym where I can be watched. I hae a huge stash of dvd's that I do at home everyday and love it.

The biggest thing I do is get up shower and put on my workout clothes. That way after breakfast I am ready to workout with no excuses!!!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe it becomes addicting. I started c25k a month ago and now hate my days off (although I know my body needs it). I feel like if I don't do SOMETHING on those days (walk, mow the lawn, ride my recumbent stationary bike...SOMETHING) I feel really lazy and fat. Your body just gets used to the feeling of movement.

When I have those internal struggles (which I did this morning), I just remind myself of how BAD I'll feel if I DON'T do it. Even if you do a half assed job of working out, at least you did SOMETHING besides sitting on your butt!
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I actually really look forward to working out and was really excited this morning that I could go to the gym after a weekend off!

I think it took a few months for it to change though. I remember having to motivate myself. I think once I started seeing progress it was a lot more motivating too.
  • michspor
    michspor Posts: 57
    Options
    Hello there, yes it is a struggle, but one you must keep trying for. Zumba is fantastic... you really do not have to worry about feeling silly. Chances are you are not the only one! Add me for support! I am trying to lose about 10 - 15 lbs myself. Right now I have been working at it hard... you have to remember it didn't go on in 2 weeks.... so yes constant battle but you can do it!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    First of all, you do not WANT for working out to actually become like no-*kitten* addictive. I saw that happen to someone and they were heading down a dark path because of it.

Secondly, if working out is that big of a pain that you fight to convince yourself to do it, consider trying a new workout or routine. If working out makes you feel good, that needs to be your motivation. Or you could look at it this way: much like doing the dishes, walking the dog, or going to work, taking care of your body isn't an option; it's a daily, weekly, and yearly responsibility. It just needs to get done regardless of whether you feel like doing it.

Occasionally, everyone needs a break. Sometimes being sick or legitimately over worked will keep you out of the gym. If it's not one of those times, hit the gym or do some other exercise that you can look forward to. Treat it like a job: you have to work even if you don't love your job, lol, but it's a definite bonus when you DO love your job! Much luck and hit the gym... because your body needs it, your mind needs it, and it's time to put an end to making up excuses for taking care of YOU!!!! Sending good motivating vibes your way!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Know_the_signs_of_unhealthy_exercise_addiction.htm

It's rather ironic that, through transference, we can go from food addiction to work out addiction and back again with relative ease. I used to study this type of thing when I was a psych student because the predisposition for addiction runs strong in some people. I recently had to step back my workouts because my wife called me on this. I was working out about 5-7 days a week, burning in excess of 700 calories a day, and would easily give up family time, food, and other things for the chance to work out.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i cannot even tell you how much better you feel emotionally. I cannot believe I lose track of this feeling over time when I am sedatary, because it is sooooooooo worth it!