Eating Healthy on Food Stamps

Options
Ok, so I feel really weird asking this, but does anyone else have an issue with finding healthy but cheap foods while on Food Stamps? Yeah, we get state help - but I am being serious about this. We have 2 kids, both really young, and it seems like we are not going to be getting WIC for some time... So, we also need to think about having to buy milk and baby formula - and food - all on $360 a month. We always, ALWAYS, seem to start running out of money, and to make it stretch, we buy TONS of generic brand Tuna Helper... And that stuff is not very healthy...

I have already been informed by my partner that he does not want to cut meat or pasta out of his diet, so that kind of limits the food cuts. And meat costs SO much.... I dunno what to do....

So, does anyone know any tips or tricks to eat healthy on Food Stamps?

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    WIC should cover milk and formula, and it shouldn't be attached to your EBT card. at least, it wasn't for a couple of my friends (i don't have kids).

do you have an Aldi or another discount grocer? you can get off brand stuff for REALLY cheap. and i know w/ Aldi that you can get good meats and veg. they also have a store brand that's low cal that's pretty good. PLUS a money-back policy if you don't like it. so you're not out anything.

summer is a great time to get fresh veggies from stands - no EBT card unfortunately, but for a little cash you can get a LOT of local produce (esp. if you're in Amish country like me)

if you can't do that - some states let EBT cards be used for seeds or you can get a grant to start a garden - dependant on your state. you could start your own garden and get fresh veggies all the time.

hope this helps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season and on sale. When they are too expensive, buy frozen. If you buy cheaper fattier meats, trim as much fat as you can before cooking and then use a cooking method that allow the fat run off (grilling, George Forman type grill, broiler pan, etc.).

Soups and stews are wonderful ways to stretch a budget and are very healthy if you use good ingredients. Eggs are cheap and healthy.

Clip coupons. Make your grocery list based on what's on sale at the time, rather than making a menu without checking prices. Don't waste money on sugary drinks or bottled water. Tap water is safe and cheap. Don't waste money paying other people to cook for you. Buy ingredients and prepare your own meals.
  • gypsycoyote
    Options
    Thank you so much :D
  • miss_september
    Options
    Try buying things like canned chicken and tuna, that can be cheaper than fresh. Also, what do you normally do with the meat? By making something like a pasta sauce with meat, or soups, you can significantly reduce the amount of meat being consumed without sacrificing it. Also try buying dried beans to mix in as well, they can really add nutrition and "bulk up" meals without costing much (large bags of dried beans are fairly cheap). Finally, frozen vegggies and canned stuff can be cheaper than fresh, depending on where you live. Just get creative with what to do with your meat--instead of serving baked chicken breast where you have to have some for each of you, use one chicken breast with a couple of cups of beans, a bunch of veggies, and some seasoning and make soup or salad, or add a chicken breast to a jar of pasta sauce on some noodles.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It takes some work and dedication but if you don't already shop sales/coupon, it saves a ton. I cut my grocery bill by about 30% and we eat really healthy.

Basically only buy stuff when it's on sale - every week our grocery store has a handful of veggies and fruit that are cheap. Some weeks are better than others, and if it's stuff we really use a lot I will buy and freeze for future use. Fruits I prepare (removing skins or pits if needed) and freeze for smoothies. Veggies I saute up or steam and freeze for use in soups, stir frys, etc.

I'm vegetarian, so no help on the meat.

Pasta - if you are near a target it seems they frequently have sales where the boxes of pasta and jars of sauce are marked down to $1, plus they frequently have coupons you can print off target.com that are $1 off when you by sauce and pasta - making it just $0.50 an item. I stock up when they have this deal.

Some great sites to help you saving money (and not by doing ridiculous "extreme" couponing)

www.moneysavingmom.com
    www.totallytarget.com
    www.wildforwags.com

I haven't paid for toothpaste, shampoo or body wash for over a year now. It's sometimes a giant pain in the *kitten*, and I admit it can be a overwhelming and a lot of work keeping up with the sales but the savings are worth it.

I also plan my meals out at the beginning of the week - or you can do it when your weekly store flier comes out - and just plans your meals around what's on sale that week.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Definitely look online for the store weekly ads. They update on Wednesday and Saturday (usually). Also, if you have a Walgreen's nearby, they have a generic brand of nuts and canned veggies that are somtimes less than grocery store prices.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    when my kids 4 of them were young, i was a loan parent. i had very little money but learned to do really cheap good meals. cheese pie when we only had potatoes and cheese with a tin of beans, i bought fresh veg eggs and rabbit and chicken from a local cattle market. id make stews with mostly veg and they ate eggs for breakfast most days. i cooked all pastry's and cakes and stewed fruit to have with custard. we even had chips with soup id made its still my daughters favorite and she is 40. its suprising what i could make for next to nothing.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of sales! I live with my parents and this will drive them CRAZY but I stock up when something is a good price! Salad dressing is normally $3.99 and it went on sale for $.99 so I bought like 6! Do stuff like that, and watch for coupons!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Check out brokeandhealthy.com. She posts recipes for cooking healthy on a tight budget. I buy a lot of y dry stuff at Walmart. Plain oatmeal, dry beans nd lentils, brown rice etc is a lot cheaper there
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    rice
    dry beans (these take more planning to use than canned, but so much cheaper)
    canned meats
    frozen vegetables
    buy generic whenever possible
    make your own bread (it's really much easier than you think!)

Avoid buying juices, and if you do buy it for a treat for the kids, water it down. I used to buy frozen juice concentrates and use twice as much water as recommended when reconstituting them, and then water it down further in the sippy cup by filling the cup halfway with water and halfway with juice. The kids loved it because it wasn't plain water, and I loved it because it saved money AND they weren't getting so much sugar.

Tuna Helper and those things can actually be made more cheaply at home. If it comes in a box and has a brand name on it, it's almost ALWAYS more expensive than if you just put the ingredients together at home. Scour the web for recipes. You can make your own "cream of something" soup to use in recipes (like the Tuna Helper stuff) that is cheaper than the canned version.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't really know how food stamps work so this may not work but when I was short on cash while unemployed I started doing my grocery shopping online. This way you can plan your meals, see all the deals at once, and know exactly how much you are spending as you go along.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    in NYC I used to get my fruits and veggies from Chinatown since they accepted EBT. In the South I get it from Ethnic supermarkets (Bravo, Broward Meat and Fish )since its way cheaper. For wheat pastas, canned stuff, non dairy milk I tend to go to Super walmart. Be crafty, sometimes Whole Foods has deals and even BJs have some great things.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    rice
    dry beans (these take more planning to use than canned, but so much cheaper)
    canned meats
    frozen vegetables
    buy generic whenever possible
    make your own bread (it's really much easier than you think!)

Avoid buying juices, and if you do buy it for a treat for the kids, water it down. I used to buy frozen juice concentrates and use twice as much water as recommended when reconstituting them, and then water it down further in the sippy cup by filling the cup halfway with water and halfway with juice. The kids loved it because it wasn't plain water, and I loved it because it saved money AND they weren't getting so much sugar.

Tuna Helper and those things can actually be made more cheaply at home. If it comes in a box and has a brand name on it, it's almost ALWAYS more expensive than if you just put the ingredients together at home. Scour the web for recipes. You can make your own "cream of something" soup to use in recipes (like the Tuna Helper stuff) that is cheaper than the canned version.

This is so very true. I make hamburger helper like products like Stroganoff, Macaroni and Beef, and Tuna Helper with WHEAT PASTA. They sell wheat Pasta at Walmart Superstore for normally $1.08. Other stores it can run 1.00- 1.99 per box. You just gotta look and give the Hamburger helpers a break.
  • julroxs
    julroxs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know Aldi's accepts EBT, but another store you can also check out if you have one near you is Bottom Dollar, they have super deals each week and you can get great deals on meat, produce, and dairy. I buy my fat free half and half, greek yogurt, and cheeses from them, and when I was there this week noticed they started carrying the light lower carb bread my husband likes, as well as low carb wraps. They have a website and you can search and see if there's one near you, Aldi's also has a website and lists their weekly specials for this week and next so you can plan a little. Aldi's just opened down the street from where I live and I shop there constantly, LOVE them.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Start a container garden or your yard. You can buy plants from wal-mart with food stamps. Learn to forage. There are alot of plants that grow in your area( prolly your back yard) that are edible. This is two ways of supplementing what you have. If you spend money on cleaning products, consider going green. It's cheaper. I use vinager with orange peels for counters, mopping etc. Baking soda and vinager for scrubbing tubs and stuff.Water down other cleaning supplies. Shampoo,conditioner, dish soap... It is habit to use to much. Hang clothes instead of dry. Things like this will put extra cash in your pocket and you can add it to the EBT. Go to manufacture web site and request free samples and coupons. ALWAYS check the discount bins in the grocery stores.If they have a bunch of bananas for example, freeze them for smoothies and banana bread. Sale the banana bread. Check the dates on the meats,milk,cheese etc. and find out when it expires. The store will mark it down prolly the day before expiration. Check with manager of that department on if they do it the day before or the day of and if it's early in the morning. I just bought a bunch of hamburger meat for 1.25 a pound. It has very little fat in it. Check at farmers markets at closeing time. Often you will see stuff off to the side they are going to throw away. Ask them if they are and if so they won't mind you having it. Clean it up if need be. Often, it's fine they just don't want to take it home. Keep your eyes open for fruit trees in peoples yards. If you notice it rotting, ask them about it. Often they will let you have it. Sometimes they may want half of it or something. You can eat it and sale it. Pick up cans in your neighbor hood. It's not alot but it will supplement what you have. Do you fish? Hunt? Know someone who does? Let them know you eat wild game but don't hunt. Most hunters give away alot of meat. I have received deer,hog,squirrl and fish this year. You can bake them a cake or pie or something in return. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • christyjoyjr
    Options
    I live in Tucson as well and there is a program called Market on the Move where you pay $10 for 60 lbs of fresh produce. I split it with a friend. I usually end up with more than I can use. The next few events are for members only but I'll keep you posted.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestions for Aldi. If you don't have one of their stores near you go to walmart with the Aldi coupons as Walmart will price match with Aldi. This post says that you don't need to have the coupon with you but doublecheck as your local Walmart may require the actual coupon: http://asmartshopper.net/2012/04/18/super-deals-at-aldi-price-match-if-your-walmart-allows/
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Do Aldi. Search for one. We buy a ton of canned vegetables there.... plus they have their Fit and Active meals. We also buy their stuffed pasta and sauce and cheap easy dinner for little to no calories.

Also, don't assume that because it's Walmart it's cheaper. I made a slightly louder than conversational complaint in the Walmart store the other day because milk is an entire DOLLAR more a gallon at Walmart than it is at Target across the street. That's total BS.

Target's website does have tons of coupons all the time. You can pair these with manufacturer's coupons, so if you find something elsewhere on the web you can get stuff pretty cheap. I used to do this with diapers at Target - if you have a Huggies coupon for $3 off and Target has another for $3, it's $6 off, and usually cheaper than the Target brand (although I buy the Target brand now because they work the best for my daughter.)

My biggest suggestion is portion control. You can eat anything and still lose weight as long as you only eat so much of it. So track the Tuna Helper... and fit it into your daily goal. That's the biggest problem - people eat cheap food, but they eat too much of it. I still eat cheap food.... but fit it into my daily goals.
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am surprised i haven't seen this here, but FOOD PANTRY!!! google for one near you, or call some nearby churches. this is exactly what they are here for, keeping families well-fed and healthy. even if you're settling for boxed products there, that still frees up EBT funds to make healthier purchases.

Similarly, you might ask on craigslist in your area if anyone has fruit trees and wants to help you out. where i live, there is always free citrus on craigslist every few days, because people with a lemon tree never know what to do with all their lemons...

If you can get STAPLE products with your EBT card, you can really save a lot of money by making your own food. Costco accepts food stamps, so you can pick up some yeast/flour/brown rice/dried beans there. if you can buy seeds with EBT, definitely grow arugula/leaf lettuce. you can have greens for 1/10 the cost of the grocery store.

with flour and yeast and sugar and oil, you can make your own bread products for much cheaper than the grocery store. the big containers of stuff last a long time, so you will be able to put most of your EBT funds towards fresh produce. start with one buy at a time (get brown rice the first time. then buy flour. then yeast. etc.) eventually, you'll be surprised at how little you buy day-to-day. you can make quick breads with any canned or fresh fruit, you can make cornbread with a can of corn and some cornmeal, you can make naan for a veggie curry, or a pizza crust to top with leftovers. really flexible and freeing to have cooking skills and bulk dry goods. you can also totally make pasta at home with flour and egg and a bit of water. you don't need anything fancy to make it, and you can even puree leftover veggies into the dough (i've done spinach pasta this way and it worked perfectly).

bananas should be cheap, as should 10lb. bags of fruit like apples/pears/oranges. i have a bag of oranges now. i'll have one every day at breakfast, and sometimes i'll cut one up and use it in a stir-fry (i cut it up peel and all, and it is delicious in asian dishes).

See about using your food stamps at farmer's mkts. some programs allow your voucher to go further at farmer's markets, effectively giving your more money. if they are accepted at all, you can usually get a good deal by coming near the end and offering to buy lots of whatever is left. so one week you'll have lots of chard, and maybe the next week you'll have carrots and mushrooms.

if you're buying meat (which your SO seems intent on) you need to make it a smaller part of your overall meals. buy a whole chicken. serve it cooked one night, then pick the carcass and boil it for stock. you can serve stir-fry and soup over the next several days to stretch. your SO may be stubborn about eating meat, but if there isn't money for it, there isn't money for it. obviously, your children need nutrition more than anyone "needs" to eat meat regularly.

A big part of stretching your food money is making sure you don't waste any food. really focus on not cooking more than you need, and having a clear plan for your leftovers. once i learned to recycle leftovers, i really started saving money and nutrition. nothing sucks more than throwing out old green beans.

good luck!
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is what i do 5 poeple=3 kids 2 adults $500/month. pasta only wheat pasta and stock up if on sale. buy tomato sauce not spaghetti sauce (season it your way). buy 2 1.5 dozen egg cartoons a week make one only hard boiled eggs. juice buy frozen concentreted juices. most vegetables are frozen because fresh is expensive but if its a good deal i buy it fresh. milk since you dont need to drink alot if you eat properly 1 gallon a week maybe 1.5 if kids are out of school. Biggest thing is everyone being on the same page. we all drink water all the time juice is there mainly for change we need once a week or so. hard boiled eggs because we all know generic cereal isnt exactly a healthy breakfast. EVERYONE eating proper servings its hard but doablE Our snacks are nuts (not the ones in the nuts section but the one in the baking aisle. ) and whole grain crackers (whatever is on sale) i stockpile on that too. Lots and lots of chicken when on sale just freeze it. i have been doing this for a couple of months now and it seems like everyone including my kids 6, 4, and 2 yo know they eat 6 times a day and they eat "alot" but for somehow we always have food. oh and chips buy whole grain wheat tortillas make your own with your own seasonings. dip make your own my SO loves bean dip o i always have bagged beans on hand and he must tell me a day in advance if he is going to want it if not i make it every weekend and during football season when his team plays. Pizza i always have wheat flour on hand for every baking thing. it is a lil complicated but cooking from scratch is key too.!!!!