I screwed up bad :(

Options

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The difference between losing and keeping it off and losing and gaining it back is accepting that you will have bad days, but not letting them stop you. I also think exercising every day or as often as you can helps counteract ALOT. DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP. Factor in what you ate and eat all your calories today. When you try to overcompensate by punishing yourself it NEVER works. You had a treat. It is allowed. Thin people eat crappy food sometimes too.
  • rsbremiller
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. If you aim to have perfect days every single day, you're bound to be disappointed sooner or later. Instead, look at your calorie consumption over a longer timeframe, e.g. a week. Make sure you create a deficit of 3500 cals a week (if you want to lose 1lb/week) and you'll be fine.

You know I keep seeing the 3500 calories to lose a pound but is the limit that mfp sets for you 500 calories below what you should be taking then? I have been trying to figure it out.
    MFP helps you figure out what your body needs to maintain current weight and exercise level, then helps you set a reasonable goal.
    3500 calories(more or less) = 1lb (gain or loss)
    3500/7 days = 500 calories per day deficit (for a loss - achieved either through managing intake or increasing output/burning)
    This would be if your goal is to lose 1lb per week. If your goal is 2lb, you'd have to nip out 1000 calories/day. You tell MFP what your goal loss pace is and that's what sets your daily calorie target. You eat to your target (unless you happen to be particularly couch-potato-y that day, in which case you might want to scale back a little.) MFP has already done that math for you.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. If you aim to have perfect days every single day, you're bound to be disappointed sooner or later. Instead, look at your calorie consumption over a longer timeframe, e.g. a week. Make sure you create a deficit of 3500 cals a week (if you want to lose 1lb/week) and you'll be fine.

You know I keep seeing the 3500 calories to lose a pound but is the limit that mfp sets for you 500 calories below what you should be taking then? I have been trying to figure it out.

If you set MFP to a goal of losing 1lb/wk, it already subtracts 500 calories a day. So you just need to worry about hitting the target, not target minus 500.

My daily target is 1400 a day, so I think it works out to be 2 pounds a week. I'm down 15 pounds total so far, but have such a long way to go. That's why the guilt consumed me.
    I'm pretty sure I'm under for the week, but I'm not sure if there's somewhere I can look to see that or if I have to calculate it manually.

I think you gotta calculate it yourself :(
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ok so I calculated manually, and from last Monday to today, I'm 4343 under.
    So maybe not as bad as I thought.
    Phew, that helps
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

If you set MFP to a goal of losing 1lb/wk, it already subtracts 500 calories a day. So you just need to worry about hitting the target, not target minus 500.

My daily target is 1400 a day, so I think it works out to be 2 pounds a week. I'm down 15 pounds total so far, but have such a long way to go. That's why the guilt consumed me.
    I'm pretty sure I'm under for the week, but I'm not sure if there's somewhere I can look to see that or if I have to calculate it manually.

Your daily target per se has nothing to do with your weight loss goal per week... for that, you have to look at the calorie deficit. Go to Home > Goals and look up "Daily calorie deficit." If it's 500 cal and stick to the plan you'll lose 1lb/week, with a 750 deficit you'll lose 1.5 lb/week, etc.
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Your daily target per se has nothing to do with your weight loss goal per week... for that, you have to look at the calorie deficit. Go to Home > Goals and look up "Daily calorie deficit." If it's 500 cal and you stick to the plan you'll lose 1lb/week, with a 750 deficit you'll lose 1.5 lb/week, etc.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

With the exception of if your goal would be under their lower calorie limit, which is 1200 for women, then you get 1200 and you will have to look at the numbers to see what deficit it is actually allowing you.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Nah. Today I had a Chick Fil A sandwich and (horrors) 4 pieces of waffle fries.....AND a mini cup cake for my b/f's birthday. Think I am worried? Nope. Everyone needs a treat. Back on the stick tomorrow and don't beat yourself up over it. :)
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Ok so I calculated manually, and from last Monday to today, I'm 4343 under.
    So maybe not as bad as I thought.
    Phew, that helps

well thats over a pound lost. Nothing wrong with that.
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    At least you realize you need to work it off. It's when we eat all the calories in one sitting and don't work it off is when it really hurts. My weakness is the ferrero rocher balls. I'll be fine until I get in the checkout line and see the 3-pack. Those 3 lil stinkin hazelnut chocolate balls are 207 cal. I'll get over it one day soon. I use to sit and eat a 12pack in one sitting.
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    At least you realize you need to work it off. It's when we eat all the calories in one sitting and don't work it off is when it really hurts. My weakness is the ferrero rocher balls. I'll be fine until I get in the checkout line and see the 3-pack. Those 3 lil stinkin hazelnut chocolate balls are 207 cal. I'll get over it one day soon. I use to sit and eat a 12pack in one sitting.

Oh dear god, those are my favorite chocolates!!!!!
    Because everyone knows they are my fave, they buy them for me all the time. I have to say no thanks to them now. It's HARD
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    That's not a bad screw up.
    You're entitled to not be perfect. Just don't do it every day.
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    SH** happens. I would bet we've all done it, I know I have. Don't beat yourself up, just start a new day tomorrow and go to the gym. You will be fine.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I ate half of an Apple Dumpling from Cracker Barrel. When I looked the calories up at home it was 1700 calories for the half I ate. No way to work that off all at once, just had to behave myself for awhile.
  • diabolotry
    diabolotry Posts: 14 Member
    Options

If you go under cardiovascular exercise and put in "strength training" there is a listing for that. For general lifting (not vigorous) you're going to burn around 5 calories a minute. If you already have a decent amount of muscle mass or lift vigorously, this can go as high as 8-12 calories a minute.

You can also burn more calories by keeping your heart rate up through strength training. For example, running a quarter of a mile between circuits. I like to jump rope/do jumping jacks between circuits.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    count it as a cheat day and move on.

its not the end of the world. mcdonalds is worth it.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This is so ME:bigsmile:
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You can see your weekly calorie intake by using the app. Open the app and look at the top and you will see "summary" "daily" "weekly". Press "weekly" and it will show you this info.
  • sharlowbrla
    Options
    When i really want something i try to eat other things to keep from eating it and still want it and end up eating it anyway plus the other stuff. I ate almost a whole loaf of warm french bread the other night. It happens. i just got back on the next morning. You have a really good attitude. YOu will be fine. Did you enjoy them as much as you thought you would? I find the bad stuff isnt a tasty as it used to be.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options

If you go under cardiovascular exercise and put in "strength training" there is a listing for that. For general lifting (not vigorous) you're going to burn around 5 calories a minute. If you already have a decent amount of muscle mass or lift vigorously, this can go as high as 8-12 calories a minute.

You can also burn more calories by keeping your heart rate up through strength training. For example, running a quarter of a mile between circuits. I like to jump rope/do jumping jacks between circuits.

I actually do keep my heart rate up by being very intense while strength training and I also do not take long rests in between (usually 10-20 seconds max). I feel like I ran 2 miles or sprinted a 1/4 mile.