Am I Skinny Fat? Or just Fat? I like honesty

Options

Replies

• Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Neither. You look terrific. Not just saying that. Toning up at the most is what you need but please keep in mind, as you tone up and exercise, you will build a little bit of muscle so as your BF% decreases and lean tissue increases, the scale will probably move upwards a little bit. Hopefully, you don't stress about that too much. In fact, that's whats supposed to happen when you build muscle and lose fat.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Everyone can benefit from regular exercise. I don't think that you're fat.
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    I think you are a porker. Come on. You should not worry what others, especially strangers think.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    WTF?:huh:

TOTALLY!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You look great! I am the same height & lighter but I don't look nearly as awesome as you in a bikini!
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    You look AMAZING! I'm gunna say that you are neither skinny fat or fat.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely NOT fat. If I looked like you, I'd lift to tone up and get muscle. But that's all.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You looks way better than me and I am 5ft5in and 127ish lbs! If its bothering you, maybe you can work on toning, not losing weight. Just do some weight lifting or circuit training with weights.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    You asked for honesty, here you'll get it:

You look healthy. By that I mean your natural frame type puts you on the thick/stocky side, and that will never change. You appear to have a fair amount of muscle hidden under a layer of fat that, while evident, is not as significant as one might seem. Your waist won't get much smaller no matter what you do because of your natural frame/body shape, so if you want to make everything proportionate you're going to have to add some mass to your thighs. It won't make you look manly, don't worry.

So to answer your question you are neither fat, nor skinny fat. You're a healthy woman with evident muscle who simply happens to have an unusual natural body shape. If you want to make the most of your genetics and natural shape, build up your legs. Your torso won't get much smaller.

I would respectfully disagree with this. I tend to be 'boxy' or what not (not a huge amount of difference between my chest waist and hips) and I have a relatively big waist (28/29 sometimes and 26-27 when I'm leaner).

Your upper will get 'smaller' aka lose inches as you lose fat. Most women do not want to bulk their thighs, and I doubt that would help anyways. Once again, just focus on body composition: you want lower amount of fat with the same if not more muscle. This will you make you LEAN. You have a lovely figure to work with and you can be the best version of yourself.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You look FABULOUS! Please DO NOT let anyone tell you that you need to change a thing. I agree - working out would make you feel better, and there is no down side. I recommend strength training and Zumba, my favorites.
  • huntclan
    huntclan Posts: 26
    Options
    Neither, actually you could stand to put on a couple pounds. A little bit of marble never hurt anyone.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'd say "overweight" or "skinny-fat". You are at an acceptable weight for you height but likely have a high percentage of body fat. (that's hard to tell without knowing your body fat %)
    She can't be "overweight" if she has "an acceptable weight" for her height. :wink:
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do not think you are fat in any way. I am with everyone else - do some toning, lift some weights - if you feel you are not where you want to be. You look great!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell from your photo. But being a small frame would make you a bit on the overweight end of things. The real story, however, is in how much body fat you're carrying. In what I can see of you in the photo, it looks like your stomach area is a bit too heavy. You certainly are not extremely fat nor are you skinny. But it's possible you need to flatten out the tummy and tone the muscles a bit. Fortunately, you don't have a major problem with your weight. If you were large framed you'd be fine. But you said you're small boned. I assume you've measured your wrist and know that. So, for what it's worth, that's my opinion. You're the final judge.
  • smdesanto
    smdesanto Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok, I do agree with your post, that she does look good! She does appear to have belly muscle and tone and just needs to work on that.
    I have a question for you..You have great abdominal tone..How do you do that? I am doing the INSANITY workout program right now and am in my second month, my worst problem is my lower abs from having a C-section. I have noticed improvement, but still not tone like I want it. I am 5 '3" and about 110lbs, but my abs just don't want to get flat!!
    What should I do?

Sara
  • Mymag
    Mymag Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think so but I'm not sure.

I'm 5ft 1/2 an inch, about 125lbs, very small bone frame. I just made a bikini pic my profile picture (I don't know how to add a pic to a thread). I have a very hard time processing/objectively judging what I see in the mirror. This is a real request, not an attention grab or anyting.

Please don't sugar-coat anything. I stared about 15lbs higher so I'm doing something right. It will be hard for you to discourage me, fire away!

I'm the same height as you (give or take a half inch) and 155 pounds, and even I don't consider myself fat. You've got a bit of extra weight around the stomach, but it's just your body type because your arms and legs are definitely skinny. I'd say just focus on toning up, because honestly I don't think you have much weight to lose.
  • Stagolee
    Stagolee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    it only matters what you think

people here are telling you to stop losing (basically)

are you ok with that advice? can you be happy at this weight?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You are not remotely fat nor skinny fat. You look exactly right.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ok, I do agree with your post, that she does look good! She does appear to have belly muscle and tone and just needs to work on that.
    I have a question for you..You have great abdominal tone..How do you do that? I am doing the INSANITY workout program right now and am in my second month, my worst problem is my lower abs from having a C-section. I have noticed improvement, but still not tone like I want it. I am 5 '3" and about 110lbs, but my abs just don't want to get flat!!
    What should I do?

Sara

Is it loose skin or fat at your lower abs? There's a lot of c-section mommies on here who have awesome body, so it's definitely achievable. But I think it's harder as the muscles were cut.
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES! Your advice, concerns, compliments, and general input it greatly appreciated! I've never been this small so I'm not sure what my Final Goal is yet. I think being healthy and passing my biometric screening next year will be enough. I think I may also incorporate some fitness goals like running a 5K or something...

I saw some A-MAZ-ING profile pics from you guys- killer muscles, gorgeous smiles, sexy bodies...I wish I could thank and compliment each of you individually!

For those of you who commented on how much I drink- yeahhhh...when I started logging food, I was shocked at how much alcohol I actually consume. That is a problem for me and it's definitely a work in progress. I should be trying harder though, I know. On the plus side- I did quit smoking everything!

For those of you who commented on my diary, I have a hard time logging things after work. I usually end the day around 1200-1300 but I do not eat well and do not know much about nutrition...another work in progress. You are all correct, I should be eating more. I genuinely get confused about food, I overthink things A LOT.

qtiekiki- I use an ab DVD called "Ab Blast" by Jeanette Jenkins. It's 21 minutes long and I adore it. I try to do it three times a week but that only happens for about a week, once a month. I also bike ride almost every day...and I suck it in a lot. I heard that helps both posture and the muscle.

You look great. What is your goal? Health or appearance or ? Health-wise, your numbers look terrific. Don't drive yourself nuts going for some Hollywood body. It's not realistic for 99% of us.
    I need to remember this and work on what is realistic for me. Thank you!
    You look like what I used to. I thought I had to lose weight and now I am trying so hard to gain it back in form of muscle. I say start lifting a bit.
    DO NOT lose weight. You have a great start already. Don't do what I did. I so regret losing all my weight. You are NOT FAT. You're just right. Its crazy but its like looking at my old body. I'm 5'2" and I was 123-126, now I'm 107lbs. I got down to a scary 99lbs and now I'm desperately trying to gain!!!!
    You look beautiful, good luck with your goals! Thank you for the advice, it's good to hear all the various angles!
    You're not fat or skinny fat but I'd say you're flabby. Just tone up. You asked and I told the truth.
    :) I love blunt people!
    Just work on your body fat and that's likely what will you get the desired results.

Get a well trained person to measure your body fat with calipers. Then calculate your body fat percentage. Use these pictures to choose a goal range. Figure out how much fat loss is required to get the desired percentage. Make that your goal.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Weight train to maintain your lean muscle mass and "tone".

Example: Suzy

Current WEight: 150
    Current BF %: 28
    Goal BF%: 21

fat = 150*.28 = 42 lbs
    Loss goal = 13 lbs
    End percentage = (42-13)/(150-13) = (29)/(137) = 21.1%
    End weight = 137

Make some sense?

What a terrific website, thanks for the link, as well as the advice and examples!
    Hey there. I totally get it. I am a little shorter, weigh a tiny bit less, and struggle with what i see as well. HOWEVER, with my 5, 1.5" and 120, my body fat % comes out much higher at 28%. So while, yes, you look pretty good, I would say weight training and maybe some running is the answer for us girls! Good job on the loss!
    You must have lead in your bones because you look perfect!