For how long can you safely reduce/cut out carbs?

Options

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I do a modified low carb (bwt 50 & 100) and its' been wonderful for me. Basically I've cut alot sugar, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. I've added lean protein, more veggies and good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avacodos, ect) and things like greek yogurt and some more dairy (although I'm lactose intolerant and watch things carefully). I want to slowly try adding things like Quina & maybe sweet potatoes back, but I have found out that I am gluten intolerant and thus most "grains/breads/ect" are a no-no (I don't like being violently sick daily). I've been trying to get my youngest sister to try dropping the gluten foods as she has alot of gastero issues that the doctors haven't isolated yet.

Everybody if different, has different needs and such forth. If you haven't talked w/ a doc or nutritionist, perhaps the best thing you can do is ask them.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - and sorry, I should have been clearer in terms of what I meant by "reducing carbs". I didn't measure the actual amount of carbohydrate I was eating or anything, but my daily diet would consist of something like:

Breakfast - blueberries, full fat live yogurt and nuts
    Lunch - large avocado with hummus and/or falafel
    Dinner - salmon with asparagus and spinach, or some sort of home-made bean stew in tomato sauce
    Snacks - fruit, nuts, seeds
    Drinks - water (still and sparkling), fruit juice (but only once a day and EXTREMELY diluted), green tea, oolong tea
    No pasta, bread, rice, oats, potatoes, refined sugar or honey, or junky carbs such as biscuits or cakes. And no booze!

My previous diet would have been: The same breakfast but with oatmeal sprinkled on, something rice-based for lunch such as risotto or kedgeree, and a similar dinner but with a potato or pasta accompaniment.

Had I lost weight on the scales and muscle tone, I would have stopped the diet. But I actually look leaner and more toned - I have the arms and shoulders of a javelin thrower despite not even doing any weights!

Can I come over for dinner?

Absolutely, if you bring a bottle of wine and dessert! Oh no ... wait ...

I make an awesome tiramisu... (also, oh no... wait... ;)
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • HayleyAT
    HayleyAT Posts: 4
    Options
    My nutritionist says that you should never completely cut anything out. Your body will find a way to make up for what you don't give it. I would think that cutting back would be fine as long as you don't completely cut it out of your diet.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Avoid those things as part of a carb reduction to get rid of the bloat and internal inflammation that most people actually get from gluten

Celiac disease effects less than 1% of the population. Even the poorly-defined condition known as "gluten-intolerance" effects at most 10%.

This is not "most people" by any stretch of the imagination.

Celiac disease is the far end of the spectrum, but while it may be partly genetics, I find it unsurprising that I have issues (minor eczema that flares up whenever I eat wheat), my wife is HIGHLY gluten intolerant and my son is as well.

My mom also has issues with gluten and I personally know at least 15 other people that have issues ranging from aches and pains, acne, irritable bowel and other problems whenever they eat wheat. Your numbers might be accurate for DIAGNOSED cases (my wife is one), but I'd say that your average joe may have more issues with it than they realize.

And you're basing this assumption on what, exactly? Your feelings? LOL

The placebo effect works both ways, people who believe that they will have an adverse reaction to something will often have it regardless of whether or not there's any actual physiological reason.

I agree that people can have a placebo affect, but here's a good example:

I have a 2 year old. He has no way of knowing what he's being fed (nutrient wise) and through observation we can see that he gets a severe rash and eczema (diagnosed by a Dr.) under his eyes whenever he eats ANYTHING with gluten in it. I'm pretty sure that I'm not projecting anything on him to make him have these reactions...

The other night we ate out as a family, ordered things from the menu that based on the menu should not have had any wheat in it. Later that night I ithced a lot, but didn't think anything of it. My wife woke up the next morning with a lot of joint pain, swelling and stomach distress. She didn't know why, thought that she was getting sick. I called the restaurant just to check and sure enough the stuffed mushrooms (that the waitress assured us had no breading/wheat in it) had a panko breading mixed with the other ingredients, but the texture and taste we couldn't tell. Sure enough, looked at my son, and his rash was there.

Just saying that grain intolerance is real, many of us live without them and are perfectly healthy. There are no nutrients found in grains that can't be had through other sources that don't inflame and irritate.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Avoid those things as part of a carb reduction to get rid of the bloat and internal inflammation that most people actually get from gluten

Celiac disease effects less than 1% of the population. Even the poorly-defined condition known as "gluten-intolerance" effects at most 10%.

This is not "most people" by any stretch of the imagination.

Celiac disease is the far end of the spectrum, but while it may be partly genetics, I find it unsurprising that I have issues (minor eczema that flares up whenever I eat wheat), my wife is HIGHLY gluten intolerant and my son is as well.

My mom also has issues with gluten and I personally know at least 15 other people that have issues ranging from aches and pains, acne, irritable bowel and other problems whenever they eat wheat. Your numbers might be accurate for DIAGNOSED cases (my wife is one), but I'd say that your average joe may have more issues with it than they realize.

And you're basing this assumption on what, exactly? Your feelings? LOL

The placebo effect works both ways, people who believe that they will have an adverse reaction to something will often have it regardless of whether or not there's any actual physiological reason.

I agree that people can have a placebo affect, but here's a good example:

I have a 2 year old. He has no way of knowing what he's being fed (nutrient wise) and through observation we can see that he gets a severe rash and eczema (diagnosed by a Dr.) under his eyes whenever he eats ANYTHING with gluten in it. I'm pretty sure that I'm not projecting anything on him to make him have these reactions...

The other night we ate out as a family, ordered things from the menu that based on the menu should not have had any wheat in it. Later that night I ithced a lot, but didn't think anything of it. My wife woke up the next morning with a lot of joint pain, swelling and stomach distress. She didn't know why, thought that she was getting sick. I called the restaurant just to check and sure enough the stuffed mushrooms (that the waitress assured us had no breading/wheat in it) had a panko breading mixed with the other ingredients, but the texture and taste we couldn't tell. Sure enough, looked at my son, and his rash was there.

Just saying that grain intolerance is real, many of us live without them and are perfectly healthy. There are no nutrients found in grains that can't be had through other sources that don't inflame and irritate.

Nobody said it "wasn't real". You asserted earlier that "most people" were gluten intolerant -- a patently false assertion. Just because you may belong to the small minority is irrelevant.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    You should be asking your own personal doctor about this. Every BODY is different...by the way i lost 70lbs eating carbs and normally 1,600 cal a day 30min work outs

I disagree with this. Doctors are not necessarily nutritionists.

Doctors would have better advice then us here at MFP
  • alliegoderwis
    Options
    Carbs are not always a bad thing! Take a look at the types of carbs you are eating. If you are eating whole/multi-grain carbs in moderation, there is no need to cut them out of your diet!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    There are no molecules in the group "carbohydrates" that we have to eat, unlike protein and essential fatty acids / minerals / vitamins.

OOOoohhhhhh! I applaud the way you worded this, sir. Very well done!

Most people say we don't need carbs to live... and that's technically not correct. We can just make the carbs we need from other material. We don't have to EAT them. So major kudos on being absolutely correct!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    There is a diet called the ketogenic diet. It is a diet used to help epileptic kids whose seizures are not acceptably controlled by medication (meds don't work, side effects awful, etc). The diet is 80% fat. The kids are kept in ketosis for 2 years before slowly being weaned off the diet. Some kids stay on it much longer. Some parents choose to keep a child with a feeding tube on the diet indefinitely. The diet is monitored by a whole team of neurologists, nutritionists, etc. It's not an easy thing to do but it can permanently reduce (and sometimes completely cure) epilepsy.
    So, you can safely cut carbs for years and keep the body in ketosis. It's just very hard to do safely and generally not feasible for the long term.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Ok, so ... at the risk of sounding thick ... when you need energy (e.g for sport), do you need CALORIES or specifically CARBS to give you this energy? And can they come from any food, e.g. meat, fruit, whatever?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I just eat some nuts or some other high fat foods and I'm ready to go. If you are doing some sort of long distance running I can see carb loading a bit, but I'd prefer to do that with fruits and sweet potatoes and never grains personally.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I haven't had bread, rice or pasta in years. Or dessert that isn't healthy.

I do eat nuts occasionally, oatmeal sometimes, and natural chips like pop chips or kale chips.

And of course, all the veggies and fruits have carbs too.

And I seem to be healthy! :)

Oh, and I get carbs from my Balance Bars before I do cardio.
  • Creamshakes
    Creamshakes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Far as I know...forever. There are people who don't just do Keto/Primal/Paleo for a diet but they do it forever. Much like I intend to.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Ok, so ... at the risk of sounding thick ... when you need energy (e.g for sport), do you need CALORIES or specifically CARBS to give you this energy? And can they come from any food, e.g. meat, fruit, whatever?
    Your body carries 10s of thousands of calories in fat stores, and maybe 2000 in carbohydrates stores. So if you're going to walk to the North Pole you'll be using a lot of fat calories to power yourself.

If you're doing 100m sprint you'll deplete your muscle glycogen (carb) stores and that can be replenished with glucose made by the liver just as it can use carbs you eat to replenish it.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been on a strict ketogenic diet, less than 25g per day, usually under 15g for 4 months now. Before that I did general low carb, and I started my weight loss under 80g per day. I plan on staying below 20g for at least another year, before allowing myself below 40g per day and more fruit options at maintenance. I never plan on eating much more than that for the rest of my life, I feel better now than I ever have and I wouldn't trade the near-unlimited energy for any carb.
  • rhondagraymond
    Options
    I think a low carb, high protein diet is always helpful in weight loss. I think you should read a few articles that will give you low carb diet info (http://www.dukandiet.com/), before you embark on any diet on your own. What you need to do is eat less of starchy carbs (foods such as potatoes, bread, rice and pasta) and eat healthier carbs in the form of fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to increase your intake of proteins- include seafood, eggs, tofu, chicken and lean meat to your daily diet and exercise at least 4 times a week.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've eaten between 50g and 150g of carbs for the last 8 months. I'd rather put something in my mouth that didn't just give me energy but also had other nutritional content. I haven't experienced any askldjqwer8 8989p hip=0io4k3 l;jj
  • PrettyGrit
    PrettyGrit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been eating less than 100g of carbs per day now for months and have never felt better. I stress though that pretty much ALL my carbs come from veggies a small amount of fruit and sometimes a little quinoa or rice. I choose wisely..
    I am going for great health not losing that much weight. I feel awesome though and have heaps of energy :) Oh and I only eat 1200 cals per day.
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    Day 45 of moderate carbs I cycle between 50g to 75g weekly. I am averaging 2.3lbs a week as a loss. Down 15lbs in 45 days. How I do it is lots of nuts, veggies and lean meats. I eat 1.5 servings of a low carb grain product mainly tortillas in my case. It has not been hard at all. Actually very sustainable and very satisfying I have not had one day of overeating or binging.

The biggest tip is find ways to make your favorite foods lower carbs its not hard.