What "Healthy" foods do you consider "Junk"?

Options
That felt like an odd Subject line. Obviously we all have varying opinions on what is "Healthy" and what is "Junk" but that being said...

I'm just curious as to what foods everyone considers to be (for lack of a better word) "Junk". Be as specific as you can. Obviously something of no nutritional value like a Twizzler is probably junk. But sometimes I think oh I shouldn't eat that yogurt it has 12 grams of sugar.. is this really a BAD food choice? Or just not as good of a food choice as some steamed veggies? (Insert a duh). What items in your diet have nutritional value but you still consider a not so great food choice? I'd appreciate any opinions, thanks!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The vast majory of

Protein bars
    Cereal/breakfast bars......and most cereals tbh

I also think nuts are overrated, especially for weight loss, but that's a different topic. None of these are in my diet however.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    most juices, pita chips, pretzels, granola bars, trail mix, peanut butter,
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Foods that aren't Brussels sprouts.
  • kathymillard1970
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Anything labeled as "healthy", "nutritious", "low calorie", "high fiber", "low fat", etc that still has HFCS in it. :facepalm: :huh:
  • crazysexykoo
    crazysexykoo Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Protein bars
    Cereal/breakfast bars......and most cereals tbh

^ this!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs. I don't know why, I've read that it's actually a very good thing to eat time and time again, but the cholesterol numbers just shock me. If I have to eat one, I'll eat ONE.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    - cheese
    - milk
    - any type of meat
    - muffins
    - bagels
    - peanut butter
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ~Bump~ to read in the morning
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Fat free yogurts, like Dannon or Yoplait, that have tons of sugar. I've switched to Greek yogurt!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Anything labeled as "healthy", "nutritious", "low calorie", "high fiber", "low fat", etc that still has HFCS in it. :facepalm: :huh:

Indeed so.

I'm going out on a limb and dissing grains, again, in all their varieties. "Healthy Whole Grains", the phrase just trips off the tongue now doesn't it? Pah ...
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    subway's "heart healthy" menu....
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I consider avocados junk food... idk why! They just have soo many calories and I always want to eat two :(
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, fruit juices, healthy choice/lean cuisine/smart ones meals (the sodium!!!!), and fruits with a high amount of sugar.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I used to think American pizzas were healthy. True story. I used to live in Italy so pizza there are completely different compared to most pizzas in US.

Like somebody said, protein and health bars in general are Junk imo
    Diet sodas, those fat free foods or low-calorie version I try to stay away from

Any chain restaurant claiming they're healthy (subway mainly)
    fruit juices
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    subway's "heart healthy" menu....

Oh gosh, this! They're only "heart healthy" if you get a sub with no condiments! I don't want just a see-through slice of ham on a giant sub roll.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well when I think 'healthy', I think mostly unprocessed whole foods so I don't consider any of it junk. It all has it's place in the diet. I might turn down yogurt sometimes if I've already had enough sugar for the day but I still think greek yogurt is great. Good protein source and good for digestion.
    I guess we are talking about branching out to what the vast majority think of healthy though so I guess I would go with bars and cereal as well. :laugh: I love them both but after replacing cereal with oats last year, I haven't gone back. And I tend to overdo it on protein bars but am trying to cut them out mostly since I do consider those junk. It's just candy with more protein. :P
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    rice, pasta, most grains, potatoes, most fruit, cereal, breads.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Fat free anything.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Special K is the first that springs to mind... there is almost no nutritional value in that cereal.