Replies

• jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    Bump!
  • sriraw
    sriraw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Once you follow the diet for a while you will actually find it easier than eating meat! When I get together with friends at restaurants, I get what I can that is vegan and eat when I get home if I am still hungry.

My advise would be to take it slow and do what you can. It is better for the environment, your health, and all my vegan friends look 10 years younger than their true age. Can't beat that!
  • MRJ2di
    MRJ2di Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reference to Engine 2. I found a lot there to think about. I moved away from meat almost two years with the goal of going vegan. I haven't given up occasional pesto, pasta dishes and smoothies with yogurt. I'll get there soon though. I haven't had a burger or lasagna (my favs) since.
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I've been vegan for 13 years (vegetarian for 4 years before that), and I'm25. My health is great... aside from the 10 pounds I'd like never to see again :) These days, I think it's pretty easy to be vegan and healthy. There are so many options, and protein is not even a concern of mine. Some people will tell you to avoid the fake meat stuff, but I like it and it has done me no harm. I do believe in moderation, though, so I try to balance my soy (and everything else, it's just easy to depend on soy) intake-- I drink almond milk instead of soy and vary my protein sources throughout the day/week. In terms of nutrition, the only deficiency I've ever had was B12-- and I fixed that by taking a supplement found on the Vegan Essentials website-- which is a great source for ordering vitamins and food and other products.

Key to success is believing in veganism-- whether for animals rights, your health or something else. Folks tend not to become vegan for the fun of it. It does take more effort because it's new to you. I spent two years reading all the ingredients in the grocery to figure out what I could and couldn't eat. You can still find me reading the ingredients in the aisles because new foods equal possible new options.

Try it out for three weeks. See how you feel.

Oh, one thing, I don't think of veganism as a diet-- those are fads. Veganism is a lifestyle that includes not wearing clothes or using products made from animals.

I'm happy to answer any questions. Good luck!