Please stop staring at me...

Options
Okay, so I've lost almost 40 pounds, and it's pretty freakin' noticeable. Apparently. I say this because people at my college constantly stare at me and point in my direction, and this has not happened before. I don't have boogers in my nose, or a bad hair day... I have a problem with not fitting into my own clothes any more.

Has anyone else had this problem- where you are at a transitional weight, trying to wait until your clothes fall off before investing in clothes you hope you will be too big for in a few months?

Maybe I'm just super self-conscious (who isn't?) and mis-reading their actions, but I've never had this issue. I feel like a bad joke.

Does anyone know any way to make it through this crappy middle-point?

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty big change and they probably think you're looking better lately.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It seems odd that they would just stare but not say anything.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It seems odd that they would just stare but not say anything.

These aren't people who know me... they are just other students.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If you care about what they're saying/thinking of you, suck it up and buy some clothes.

If you don't care, then just don't care. Simple as that.

Always walk with your head held high and let them talk, stare, point and whisper. Doesn't matter, so don't let it bother you, and definitely don't let it bring you down.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • rainsrabble
    Options
    40 pounds is a LOT. Congratulations. You should be proud. And I'm sure you want to keep your eye on the prize and keep going for your target weight. But you also need to feel good about how you look right now or you might lose your motivation. Besides, looking good feels good. So break out ten bucks and hit your second hand shop. Buy some stuff that fits. You will feel better and wont feel like people are staring at you because of your over sized clothes. Make it one of your rewards. Every time you drop ten pounds go to the second hand store. It can be a ritual where you drop off the bigger clothes that you don't intend to ever wear again.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Ebay and Consignment stores..you should be able to get some nice pieces that won't break the bank. I've found that dresses "transition" better than pants. You can always belt dresses or blouses/tees for a slimming/hourglass look.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    I just talked to my husband, and he's giving me thrift shop clothes money in two weeks. Yay! I don't have a job (I go to school double-full time) so I have to ask and it seemed kind of selfish earlier to me... :blushing:
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    yard sales are my saving grace. Seriously have used them to get new wardrobes for 5 size decreases, and have prob spent 100 dollars total. nothing like paying 1 dollar for a cute pair of aeropostale jeans,
  • rainsrabble
    Options
    Yeah for the husband :)
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would wear my clothes as long as I could as well and would get a few awkward stares. I use to visit second hand clothes stores to purchase my 'transition' clothes (many times) and then would donate my too large clothes back to them. Try that if you can.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't want to buy new clothes yet but I did go shopping to see if could find something. I'll just let these clothes become baggy a little while longer. I still have about 80lbs I want to lose so I'm just not ready to invest yet.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    I don't want to buy new clothes yet but I did go shopping to see if could find something. I'll just let these clothes become baggy a little while longer. I still have about 80lbs I want to lose so I'm just not ready to invest yet.

See that's my problem too. I have so far to go. Another 80 pounds at least!
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Resale shops are your friend. It sucks spending $50 on a pair of jeans that, in two months, w on't fit. And I still have to buy my bras new, so yay, there's $40- $50/piece new unless there's a sale (which I hunt for). I actually just got $120 in rewards checks today from Lane Bryant because I've spent so much there in the last few months. And I hated shopping. Hated. Shopping.

Seriously, find the good shops in your area, and haunt them looking for quality pieces for cheap. then, when you out-lose them, you can gift them to someone else.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I understand the situation. I have been there; usually, I try to skip a size when I can but making a balance between what is necessary (especially when employed) and what can be worked with... It may be that they are pointing to show how much you have lost.

Some options may be to try to get your clothes at a discount store, dollar store or thrift store. When in transition, choose transitional clothes... Not the most expensive lines.

I would never suggest trying to go more than 2 sizes... (48 to 44 for instance is enough).. Going more than that would be too much.

Best wishes on your continued losses!
  • jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I lost 30 lbs and my suits were falling off me. But I didn't have money to take get all of them taken in. I don't work in that field anymore but I still might get them tailored eventually.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Good for you...I have gone from a tight size 18 to a size 4 a size 3X top to a small. I have bought my clothes for the most part from the Goodwill..or another used stores. I didn't want to waste money on clothes I wan't going to stay in. I have found alot of designer jeans, for 5.99 to 9.99
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! Since losing weight can be a long process, I think it is important to reward yourself along the way. Maybe you don't need an entirely new wardrobe (sometimes a good belt can do the trick or a sewing machine) but a couple of nice pieces to show the progress you are making is worth the investment and will encourage you as you go. Consignment stores, second hand and garage sales can be so nice. Also, sometimes a friend or family member is cleaning out their closet and you can get some great new to you stuff!!
  • nerdmaker
    nerdmaker Posts: 8
    Options
    The last time I lost weight like that I went shopping at secondhand stores and yard sales. If you buy a few good pieces that fit better it seems to make the oversize stuff look better. I bought pants and skirts because the oversize shirt look was in. The thing I discovered after losing weight is that most people who stare want to say something positive like "you sure have lost a lot of weight" but were too afraid to say anything in case you're sensitive. I started telling them about my diet then how much weight I'd lost. The relief in their eyes were obvious because I'd opened the door to the discussion.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss -- the stares say you're doing well. Best wishes for the future!!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Buy a lot of somewhat flowy stuff with stretch -- it will last you through a bunch of sizes as you plummet. I look for stuff on clearance at Target, but I am a SAHM and have no one to impress!