Anyone else have this problem, eat, THEN get hungry?

Options
What's going on with that? This morning, i had some cornflakes and got super hungry about 15 or so minutes after eating..

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Could be the reason as sometimes our body confuses thirst with hunger.

Maybe switch the cornflakes with something a little more nutrient dense for tomorrow's breakfast.

I get like that if I eat cereal... I don't eat it anymore besides a quick evening snack.
  • curvymomo3
    curvymomo3 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What's going on with that? This morning, i had some cornflakes and got super hungry about 15 or so minutes after eating..

try adding a protein?

I have noticed on the days I have a veggie omlet with hot sauce I am full longer than the days I just have a bowl of cereal.

*love your weight loss ticker btw :D *
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    It's all I have in the house right now, I only eat plain cereals when I actually do eat cereal. I'm more of an eggs person, but we're out lol
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You might just be feeling your food digesting (the orn flakes) if it was so soon after u ate. A lot of people confuse digestion with hunger I hear
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options

try adding a protein?

I have noticed on the days I have a veggie omlet with hot sauce I am full longer than the days I just have a bowl of cereal.

*love your weight loss ticker btw :D *

thanks!! And yeah, I love eggs! But I'm out :( gotta grab some for tomorrow.
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    Does sound like you need to drink more water.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Fiber will keep you fuller longer. A lot of options for fiber. Good luck!
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I get so hungry throughout the day if I eat breakfast.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Corn flakes are mostly sugar. Sugar has no staying power, and you get hungrier very soon afterward.

Get some instant oatmeal for those times when you need to eat cereal. Mix it half-and-half with yogurt and add some cinnamon for instant high-protein refrigerator oatmeal. Or mix half old fashioned oats and half yogurt the night before for real refrigerator oatmeal.

For this morning, got any nuts? Cheese? Peanut butter? Anything at all with protein?

If not, stir some cinnamon into a small glass of warmed milk and drink it, or chew cinnamon gum. Cinnamon is an appetite suppressant and will stave off the hunger for a little while.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Apples make me hungry. Even if I really wasn't hungry before I ate the apple, I will feel hungry after and sometimes my stomach even growls!! Weird.

No other food does it, just apples. But I love apples so I've learned to just ignore it.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a lower GI (glycemic index) breakfast. Ordinary cornflakes are digested quite quickly and push up your blood glucose fast. Then your body clears the glucose rapidly from your blood and it rebounds too low, making you feel hungry again quickly. Protein foods don't produce fast "spikes" in blood glucose, nor do high fibre foods. If you like cereal, wholegrain types are better because they are digested more slowly and your blood sugar doesn't go up and down again so fast.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    There is a good reason for this.

Read the following

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I find protein for breakfast is the best for me. Eggs especially. I buy them on sale and turn the box over once a week. By doing this, I can keep them fresh for several months.
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I get hungry 15 minutes after corn flakes but I switched to Kashi or Fiber One and stay full for much longer. (Caution: If you're not used to eating a lot of fiber, don't eat much of this cereal or you might feel like you're bloated all day!)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    We can friend up and you can see my diary if you want. I eat good breakfast have a snack in between meals and drink water. It works!
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I usually have a cup of hot tea or coffee with my breakfast on days when I wake up hungry. I find that the hot liquid helps make me feel full. Also, I'll have something high in protein like eggs or greek yogurt.

I never eat cereal for breakfast unless it's on the weekends and I plan on going to the gym an hour after I've eaten. Otherwise, it's virtually guaranteed that I will be hungry shortly afterwards.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates. Fast absorbing carbs, insulin responds, blood sugar plummets, feel hungry.

Chinese meal syndrome.

Eat protein rich food instead.
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal nearly as often as I used to. I pay attention to what I eat in the morning, because I get hungry soon after as well. One thing I did notice that holds me over a bit longer *knock on wood* are my smoothies. I've been experimenting with fresh fruit (usually bananas, strawberries, or blueberries so far) with 8oz of 2% milk, and 1 tbsp of dark chocolate peanut butter. I actually feel satisfied. It's almost 1 now and I'm hungry for lunch. I ate breakfast at 6:30am. I also try to eat a snack with protein between breakfast and lunch, but I didn't do that today. On the weekends when I have more time I like to have eggs (usually egg whites).
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Look for protein or carbs that are "slow release" carbs...... less likely to produce cravings
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Apples make me hungry. Even if I really wasn't hungry before I ate the apple, I will feel hungry after and sometimes my stomach even growls!! Weird.

No other food does it, just apples. But I love apples so I've learned to just ignore it.

Apples do the same thing to me!

I'm curious to know why this happens, too because I'm experiencing some of that now. An hour ago, I ate an egg and three egg whites scrambled with 1/2 cup pinto beans. I shouldn't feel hungry, but I do. It's not thirst because I've had coffee and three bottles of water since 8 this morning. I'm trying to see if the feeling goes away before I eat anything else.