Lost weight without going to gym?

Options
I am a stay at home mom and can not afford the time or the money to go to a gym. I am doing 30min stairs and jump roping and sometimes I do 30DS or pilates. Has anyone successfully lost a significant amount of weight without gym or fancy equipment?If so can you please share! Thanks!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yep. I started walking on my treadmill after the kids were in bed. But I could have just as easily taken the kids to the park to walk. Now, I run, at the park, usually without the kids. But I do have a jogging stroller for the baby, and the big kids can go with me if they take their scooters or bikes. I also go biking and take the baby in a bike trailer and the big kids ride their bikes. My kids are 2, 7, and 8 years old. They have fun, and get exercise too.

ETA: Lots of people will work out in the morning before the kids get up too. I don't do that because my husband leaves the house pretty early and I don't want to get up before 5 am to work out LOL.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Lost 40lbs by dieting and doing absolutely nothing else.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Yes, I lost my first 30 that way too.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Same here. 35ish pounds with changing my diet and very minimal exercise.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    ME!!!!

read my profile :)
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There was a lifetime movie- many years ago- where the woman was homeless and she used stairs to get her exercise in. I still think of that- are there any buildings that have stairs nearby you could use?

definitely the parks with kids~ riding a bike with a child on the back?
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Yes, I lost my first 30 that way too.
    Same here with my first 29. Hit a plateau so I'm starting to work out.
    You can always involve the kids. A friend of mine has two toddlers. They all do Zumba. It's like a little dance party!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly about how much you eat. What physique you wind up with after losing the weight (as well as overall health) will depend on how you've exercised along the way, though. If you can't get to a gym, you can at least try to find time to do some exercise at home (strength as well as cardio).
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 15 lbs by just watching what I ate and running outside mostly. So it is definitely possible to achieve without going to the gym.
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I could never workout in a gym environment! (Okay well never say never BUT...)
    All my weight was lost outside of a gym... I run, do turbojam, 30DS and Zumba!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yep, I refuse to pay for a gym membership! They're overpriced pockets of hell (just my opinion, I know a lot of people worship the gym)

I do bike riding, jogging, walking/hiking and I'm building up my exercise equipment, I spend 30pounds a month (what I would be spending on the gym) on equipment, so far I have exercise bike, dumbells, videos, hula-hoop, exercise mat and this month I'm buying a weights machine. It can definitely be done. Good luck :-) xx
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I did. I did 30DS and Ripped in 30, now I do a lot of biking. It's totally possible, but it's not easy!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs before on diet alone. (I don't sit on my couch and do nothing but I don't do formal workouts)

now I am back at it losing what I gained back, which is about half of it...and while I am very active with the kids and general summer activities, I still don't do formal workouts.

That being said, when you do it this way you have to keep your eating habits in check. The benefit of working out is you have a little more freedom with what you eat.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I started this and after 30 days had to have shoulder surgery. So, of course I couldn't do much but sit on the couch, walk a little but mainly do nothing. I lost over 35 of the 48 lost so far without working out. If your a stay at home Mom, you should check out Nerd Fitness, it has quite a few workouts that you can do at home, without weights. Good luck, and use the support of the community, it works great!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I will NEVER go to a gym! I can't stand the thought of it!! It's just not me. But I'm slowly getting there by working out at home to 30DS and other DVD's. There's a lot out there if you look, strength and resistance training too! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30lbs in uh.. a few months by just watching my intake and going for a 30-60 minute (brisk) walk every day.

Since joining the gym a month or two ago, my weight loss hasn't increased or slowed down, but I am building up a lot more muscle due to having access to all the weight machines, etc.

You can really do it either way, but a varied workout does have it's benefits - not that that's impossible at home, but it's easier at the gym for sure!
  • camiller02
    camiller02 Posts: 24
    Options
    I do not go to the gym. If I tried I would just waste my money because I WOULD NOT GO. I work out at home using excersice videos. Right now I am doing Jillian Micheals body revolution. All you need are some weights or a band and a little space . I can workout either in the morning when I am not working, or in the afternoon if I work. I find at home I am more relaxed and I can do chores while I excercise. I usually do laundry start my dinner etc. Because you can pause the video and run and switch the laundry or pause and run to check on the dinner. But That's just me. You can easily find a workout video you like
  • twinkle320
    twinkle320 Posts: 23
    Options
    I lost 75lbs in 11 months with pretty much just diet alone. The only exercise I would do was the occassional walk, and I mean very occassional, like once a week, MAYBE. I maintained it for about 8 months but then saw the scale creeping up so I have now added in excercise and brought it back down, but I still don't do a gym, I use 30DS and other Jillian DVD's and walk A LOT, all things you can do without the cost and time of gym membership.
  • 97emily97
    97emily97 Posts: 2
    Options
    Zumba and bicycling! Bicycling doesn't seem to give you results right away, but give it a bit and you will start to see the results! Zumba is really fun and exciting and it is even better to pick a group of friends to do it with! Good luck :)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Im a stay at home Dad and I have lost 95 lbs (in 330 days) without stepping one foot in a gym. I use a double stroller for walks/jogs.