Frustrated w/ the scale and or "dieting"? READ THIS!!!!

Options
I've been at this a while: in about a month, I will have used MFP for a year. In that time, I've lost 39lbs on top of the 40lbs I lost (and kept off) in summer/fall of 2009. I haven't reached all of my fat loss or fitness goals yet, but I doubt I will any time soon because this is a journey (project/lifestyle change/whatever you choose to call it) that will ideally last a lifetime--I wouldn't want to peak or burn out too quickly.

That being said, I don't have any magic formulas or secret tips that are going to melt the fat (that's really what the majority of us mean when we say "weight loss"--I don't know about any of you, but I'm not trying to lose bone, organ, or hair...), but I do know that your mental state and general feelings about yourself and the process of life play a HUGE role in how you react to what happens on the SCALE. So, with that in mind, I will say this:

Just do the best you can and be PATIENT with yourself! (I know...just keep reading...)

Weight loss is a science, of course; however, with so many variables (including that we are HUMAN, therefore...wacky) and that our daily lives don't mirror lab conditions, deviations (don't say "failures"--come on) are not only possible, they're common, to be expected, and inevitable SO--let's just get over it! It's okay to push yourself to work hard(er) and be successful in your goals BUT remember there is a FINE LINE between pushing yourself and beating yourself up. I urge you to find your line and examine it!

Now, for the really touchy-feely stuff (sorry...but not really): let's be nicer to ourselves. Let's embrace this LIFESTYLE CHANGE and appreciate all the NSVs we have along the way. In reality, those NSVs probably add up to wayyyyy more than some number on the scale that, without the exact breakdown (fat, muscle, bone, poop, hair products, etc.), is really AT BEST just an indicator that you are or aren't in the ballpark and AT WORST an arbitrary measure of something so complex, computers that could probably take over the world in the next two weeks are needed to suss it all out (sorry--currently reading a book about robots taking over).

We allow the scale so much power over us and measure wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much of our worth as PEOPLE on how well we ate (aka how "good" we were), etc. So, why don't we NOT do that anymore? Don't get me wrong--even though I've been practicing thinking this way for some time now, I still have those "bad" thoughts and I always will (that pesky human thing strikes again...), but in time (and each time it takes less time) I return to reality and move on, often with renewed energy to keep making the best decisions for myself, ie those that make me feel the best I can physically AND mentally. Keep trying--it takes ongoing work but the rewards are so worth it! And this is coming from someone who pretty much earned a PhD in self-hate and self-destruction by the age of 21.

Best of luck!

As always, I'm open to new friends ESPECIALLY those who are very funny (snarky is also totally acceptable--okay, encouraged). I am also not opposed to men with shamelessly gratuitous pics of their wonderful bodies...I like to "celebrate" their "success" by ogling said pics.

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Every word of this is spot on. Fantastic post and I hope a lot of people take it to heart.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

We allow the scale so much power over us and measure wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much of our worth as PEOPLE on how well we ate (aka how "good" we were), etc. So, why don't we NOT do that anymore? Don't get me wrong--even though I've been practicing thinking this way for some time now, I still have those "bad" thoughts and I always will (that pesky human thing strikes again...), but in time (and each time it takes less time) I return to reality and move on, often with renewed energy to keep making the best decisions for myself, ie those that make me feel the best I can physically AND mentally. Keep trying--it takes ongoing work but the rewards are so worth it! And this is coming from someone who pretty much earned a PhD in self-hate and self-destruction by the age of 21.

This is what stood out for me - I've been giving my scale WAY too much authority latley. I've been told to put it away, and I have, but just keep bringing it out again. Last week, I put the scale in the barn...it's still there :)

Very well posted - Thank you!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Agreed and well put \m/
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump:bigsmile:
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well put....
  • Tcfranklin
    Options
    Thanks I needed that!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Love love love this post...I am def going to save this to my favs to read over again when needed!!! You hit it spot on!!

Thanks for sharing!! YOU ROCK!! :flowerforyou:

I hope many MFPer's read this and 'listen' to what it says!! :)
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Not feeling it today, but I'll come back to this when things "mellow out" for me. :smile:
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Great read!!
  • BackToPreBaby
    Options
    I needed this post. Ive been obsessing again with the scale numbers going up and been very hard on myself. I forget how far i've come to begin with and how my life is about being healthy now. Thank you.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for sharing this.
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am also not opposed to men with shamelessly gratuitous pics of their wonderful bodies...I like to "celebrate" their "success" by ogling said pics.

lololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxo cor :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Now THAT was a good read this morning. Thanks so much!
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later when my kids are fed some breakfast and are no longer swinging on my legs. Lol
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You are HILARIOUS ! Great GREAT Post !
  • LKM5555
    LKM5555 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Having a baaaaad day. This helped.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hear Hear! :drinker: I always notice that I feel awesome about myself when I have an NSV. I just need to remember that feeling when the scale seems to be stuck on one number.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    :smooched: This is a great post!!

I feel so bad for people who allow for the scale to rule their lives. I have a friend who weighs herself in the morning to see what calories she can "allow" herself to eat. CRAZY!! I'm a NSV kind of girl. Like when my kid was snuggling with me and looked at me and said...Mama, your belly isn't making a very good pillow anymore. :laugh: LOVE IT! No scale is going to tell me that!!!

Rock on sister!!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Well written, well versed... And coming from someone who knows!!!

Thanks bunches for sharing :wink: