Chinese Buffet help...

Options
Ok, so tomorrow I'm supposed to have lunch with my dad. He loves Chinese buffet so since this is our "make up" for Father's Day he gets to pick the restaurant... They have so many things but not sure what I should go for. and of course they don't list the calories on anything, and even if I asked them they wouldn't know...
So help... What are the do's and don'ts of eating at a Chinese Buffet?
My favorites are Vegetable Lo-mein noodles, sweet and sour chicken, and teriaki(sp?) chicken-ka-bobs. And i can mostly fill up on water and white rice, but my dad is one of those "Eating makes you happy" people, so I need to make it look like I am eating enough.

Replies

• Jenniferrose194
    Jenniferrose194 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chicken and broccoli or beef and broccoli!! Both of those are pretty low cal and high in protein (and yummy) :)
  • angelicahinkle
    Options
    I have thought of this often because we love chinese. I am thinking steamed veggies and rice and a little meat in moderation. One thing I say is to maybe save up some calories and eat what you want within moderation. If I eat out for lunch I eat a light dinner.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the dishes that are more like stir fry - meat and veggies in thinner sauces, nothing too gloopy or fried.

The chinese buffet near me actually has a hibachi bar where you can load up your plate with raw veggies and meat, and someone cooks it on the griddle for you fresh. Maybe that's an option?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Fill up on vegetables and protein, not rice.
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chicken on a stick is probably a safe play. Probably hight in sodium though. Actually its all gonna be high in sodium. Beef and Broccoli could also be a safer play. Try to stay away from the chickens with any kind of breading.
    The Chinese buffet is my FAVORITE, but I have not faced it since I started my diet. I can not resist pigging out.
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Chinese is just bad. I love it so when I eat it (at least once a month if not more, I had to cut back from once a week) I just eat what I like and MFP has general calories for chinese, so you have a good estimate. I do try to drink a lot more water than a normal day because of all the sodium. Also, I had read a post on here a few weeks ago about keeping your sodium and potassium at a 1:1 ratio, so I would suggest eating more potassium that day. Oh and just try to pay attention to your portions. Enjoy your dinner :smile:
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stick to the meat and veggies, and skimp on the carb-filled rice/noodles. Avoid the deep-fried battered meats too in place of the unbattered ones.

Avoid the full-cal soft drinks/alcoholic beverages, and make sure you drink enough water! Chinese food is incredibly salty!

Most of all, enjoy it - unless you go every other day, one big meal isn't going to kill you. It might upset your stomach though, if it isn't used to such greasy food!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'd call this a "free day" and have at it.
    When I go to a Chinese buffet, each plate is about 1500 calories, and I usually get 3.
    LOVE IT!
    As for you?
    Stick with the tofu and seaweed...:sick:
    Or consider just having a fabulous time with your dad.....
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Lots of veggies, lean meats, and most of the soups are low cal as well. Avoid fried items. Everything will be high in sodium, that's pretty unavoidable at those kinds of places.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get a lot of exercise in, and drink a lot of water to counteract the MSG! I'm a sucker for a chinese buffet, and I have no concept of portion control once I'm there with all the goodies in front of me. Maybe just make sure you fill your plate once, take your time eating stuff (I find talking a lot and drinking water helps with this) and treat yourself to a little ice cream with fruit at the end.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Teriaki should be fine. Mixed vegetables too are usually there along with jello. I'm not sure about the noodles because I think they are fried. I'd go for steamed rice.They may also have some steamed fish. Chicken and broccoli is also good too. Stick to water or unsweetened tea and you should be fine :)
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    If they have a hibachi grill at the buffet, go with this:

Mushrooms
    Broccoli
    Chicken Breast
    green/red peppers
    egg
    snow pea pods

Very low calorie and low carb. High in protein. Leave out the noodles and rice.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I would pass up on the rice. :(
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    PILE ON THE VEGGIES!!! Get as many steamed veggies on your plate as you can! Try and go for steamed rice not fried rice. Beef and broccoli or other sauteed meats are way better than the battered and fried sweet n sour meats... Shrimp will be the lowest calorie meat item, but if you don't like shrimp or can't eat it, chicken, then pork, then beef. You can do this! Eat more veggies than anything and they will fill you up and they are good for you, loads of fiber!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    You know, one time I went to a buffet and I gained a lot of my weight back, about 50lbs

this is a common occurrence.
    splurging once will certainly negate all hard work prior.

general tso's FTW!!!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Depends on the kind of diet you are eating. For me I would steer clear of rice and noodles because I follow a lower carb, higher protein diet. I would eat the steamed and raw vegetables and the meats that don't have any breading or heavy sauces.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Nothing fried, and avoid as much sauce as possible. Try to eat any steamed meat of vegetables that are available. My favorite is the sauteed green beans, steamed veggies and pepper chicken. They are not great, but IMO just about the best you can get with Chinese buffet
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid or eat smaller portions of dishes that have sauce or are fried. Eat more veggies. Eat slowly and drink water, so your body has time to recognize that you are full.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Maybe try going to a Mongolian barbecues instead. Similar flavors....but you control what's in the dish, and can stock up on the veggies.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Of your favorites, the teriyaki chicken is a better choice. No breading. Less sugar. And don't they usually have salads and soups on those bars? A hot and sour soup (particularly one with tofu and no or little pork) can be a decent choice. Be sure to drink plenty of water. The sodium content will be high. And if there is a choice of brown rice instead of white, try that out.

And maybe sharing with your dad that you love to eat, but you need to be eating in moderation in order to be healthy and happy will strike a chord with him. Our dads really do worry about our health.