Lost my motivation

Options
I am 31 years old and in February I had to have a complete radical hysterectomy, which caused some depression. I had been doing really good with logging my food intake and exercising every day but during my recovery time, I could not be very active and I tended to overeat because of the depression. Hence, I gained weight back and a lot of inches!! My doctor told me that the swelling could remain for up to 8 months and now, I am trying to get back into the swing of things but I seem to have lost my motivation. I keep thinking what's the point, but my family is going on vacation to Florida in a couple of months and I really wanted to be in shape and look better so I didn't feel so bad about the hysterectomy. Between that and the extra inches, I feel like I couldn't turn a head if my hair was on fire. Any advice?:huh:

Replies

• chrissi
    chrissi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am 31 years old and in February I had to have a complete radical hysterectomy, which caused some depression. I had been doing really good with logging my food intake and exercising every day but during my recovery time, I could not be very active and I tended to overeat because of the depression. Hence, I gained weight back and a lot of inches!! My doctor told me that the swelling could remain for up to 8 months and now, I am trying to get back into the swing of things but I seem to have lost my motivation. I keep thinking what's the point, but my family is going on vacation to Florida in a couple of months and I really wanted to be in shape and look better so I didn't feel so bad about the hysterectomy. Between that and the extra inches, I feel like I couldn't turn a head if my hair was on fire. Any advice?:huh:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    First of all, you have my sympathy for your tough time. That must have been (and probably still is) very hard for you. The only advice I have for you is to just stick with it through this time, because it will feel so much better when you reach your goal. And from your picture, you are a beautiful woman, and I'm sure you turn more heads than you realize. :smile: Just stick with it and remember that all of us support you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    My sympathy goes out to you for what you have been through.
    Remember, you ARE beautiful no matter what you may think!!:flowerforyou:
  • fitn40
    fitn40 Posts: 17
    Options
    You know -- sometimes we need to just love ourselves and give ourselves time to recover and not worry so much about what we look like. I know that's not easy...but you'v'e been through some medical stuff and just like after you have a baby, etc. we need to give our body time to heal and just focus on being "healthy" -- and eat foods that are good for us and not worry so much about losing or gaining. Maybe if you just relax a little, and don't think about dieting -- just eat when you're hungry and try to make good choices, your body will reward you with a few less inches.

And any guy worth having will be attracted to you (the real you) no matter what you're size is...you only live once...so enjoy your vacation - no matter what - and know that the fact that you are here and alive - not laid up in a hospital room somewhere - and able to enjoy the beach and the sun is a GIFT in itself.

Take it one day at a time...you can do it.

Good luck!:glasses:
  • haleyk
    haleyk Posts: 58
    Options
    Now is the time to do something good for yourself. Eating right and exercising can only make a tough situation more manageable. Depression is a very difficult thing to overcome, but exercise has proven to help. I wish you the best in getting your motivation going.
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    You are in our hearts.
    What could we possibly say to help you through this? When everything seems disappointing and your direction is lost. try this...
    This is your life, your one chance, no 'do over's'. Celebrate everything that you do have, family to take vacations with doctors to take care of you, support from friends here and in person. Whether you lose weight to just lose weight, you are also losing it for your physical and mental well being. You are worth it! And you have many people here to remind you of that everyday if we have to.