So. Much. Sugar...

Options
2»

Replies

• shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    Options
    So long as it's from fruits you should be fine. Just make sure you're being healthy, and get a glucose test every few months if you're worried about it. Now down the road if you wish to lower body fat % and build muscle then you will want to lower your sugar/carb/fat intake and increase protein.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health issues just yet.. But my family has a history of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. NOW should I cut down? Or will cutting down too much be a bad thing too?

And no, no cake. Or cookies. Frozen yogurt is a treat for me twice a week or so.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I don't monitor my sugar intake AT ALL and I'm doing perfectly well. I even allow myself *gasp* treats! In fact, this is the only thing that keeps me on track more than 80% of the time.

Limiting all processed foods (not just the sugar) is an excellent idea. If you worry about the sugar you get from a couple pieces of fruit, you're wasting a lot of energy for nothing.

Anything with carbs is going to have some sugar and shorting yourself on carbs can seriously limit your ability to workout or function at top mental capacity.

The bottom line is do what feels good/right for you. If you keep making fitness progress and you feal great, that's all that matters.
  • katamus
    Options
    People who shouldn't bother tracking sugar:
    a) everyone...

Nice. Haha. Thanks Captain.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    So long as it's from fruits you should be fine. Just make sure you're being healthy, and get a glucose test every few months if you're worried about it. Now down the road if you wish to lower body fat % and build muscle then you will want to lower your sugar/carb/fat intake and increase protein.

Lowering carbs and fats at the same time is dangerous and should only be done under a professional's supervision.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I don't have any health issues just yet.. But my family has a history of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. NOW should I cut down? Or will cutting down too much be a bad thing too?

And no, no cake. Or cookies. Frozen yogurt is a treat for me twice a week or so.

Here's the problem. Everybody's family has a history of at least a half dozen different things.

If you are healty, you are doing fine. Also, keep in mind that there are things that have a much, MUCH greater impact on your health than eating 5 or 10 extra grams of sugar on any given day. Really, you're over thinking it.

The most important thing you can do if you're worried about heart disease is exercise every day, cardio in particular. Make sure you keep that heart in condition.

Diabetes really isn't likely unless you are significantly over weight and it doesn't look like you are. If it was going to be caused by something else, you would probably already have it.

Cancer, well, all you can do is your best to stay fit and healthy. Cancer is one of the equal opportunity diseases, generally.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Its fructose that's in fruit not sucrose!! That's the difference! They are metabolised differently and surplus of each is stored and utilised differently! Sucrose (which breaks down to glucose) is stored as fat!! Fructose remains in the blood stream and is used by mitochondria to form energy!!

I pulled this from another thread. The person who posted it is a sports and exercise/nutrition scientist. I knew fruit broke down differently in our bodies, I just was not sure how! Fruit is fine to eat. Track fiber instead of sugar! :bigsmile: hope this helps!
  • katamus
    Options

Here's the problem. Everybody's family has a history of at least a half dozen different things.

If you are healty, you are doing fine. Also, keep in mind that there are things that have a much, MUCH greater impact on your health than eating 5 or 10 extra grams of sugar on any given day. Really, you're over thinking it.

The most important thing you can do if you're worried about heart disease is exercise every day, cardio in particular. Make sure you keep that heart in condition.

Diabetes really isn't likely unless you are significantly over weight and it doesn't look like you are. If it was going to be caused by something else, you would probably already have it.

Cancer, well, all you can do is your best to stay fit and healthy. Cancer is one of the equal opportunity diseases, generally.

Thank you. I'm probably obsessing a little, I just don't want to end up doing more harm than good.
  • katamus
    Options
    Its fructose that's in fruit not sucrose!! That's the difference! They are metabolised differently and surplus of each is stored and utilised differently! Sucrose (which breaks down to glucose) is stored as fat!! Fructose remains in the blood stream and is used by mitochondria to form energy!!

I pulled this from another thread. The person who posted it is a sports and exercise/nutrition scientist. I knew fruit broke down differently in our bodies, I just was not sure how! Fruit is fine to eat. Track fiber instead of sugar! :bigsmile: hope this helps!

Sweet, I'm gonna stuff myself with some mangoes with lunch. Thank you for the info. :)
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options

The above statement is incorrect on so many levels. If diabetes is part of your family history it is a VERY REAL concern while you are overweight or not!!!! I had gestational diabetes with my last two pregnancies and I am far from overweight. My cousins have both developed Type 2 in adulthood ( early 30's), one is an athlete and the other a hair stylist and neither are overweight. Things as simple as being over weight as a child can put you at risk for diabetes down the road, even if you have lost the weight and budded into a healthy adult. If it runs in your family, it is a risk, period.
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

The above statement is incorrect on so many levels. If diabetes is part of your family history it is a VERY REAL concern while you are overweight or not!!!! I had gestational diabetes with my last two pregnancies and I am far from overweight. My cousins have both developed Type 2 in adulthood ( early 30's), one is an athlete and the other a hair stylist and neither is overweight.

We have diabetes in our family. Several years ago our family doctor told me that I had to limit my fruit (it was a given that I needed to limit my obvious sugar). She said that my fasting glucose was too high, and warned me that I could find myself listed as pre-diabetic on insurance if I didn't watch out. That economic warning, more than the weight issues, got my attention, and I try to actually follow her suggestion of two fruit servings a day. It makes them more precious. (I do cheat in a way: often I will have half a banana and 1/3 cup of blueberries with breakfast and then an apple later.)
  • mnowens
    mnowens Posts: 71
    Options
    I saw you mentioned yogurt. Since your diary isn't open, would you mind sharing how much sugar is is the yogurt you eat? Just curious.
  • katamus
    Options
    I saw you mentioned yogurt. Since your diary isn't open, would you mind sharing how much sugar is is the yogurt you eat? Just curious.

11g it's Dannon Light & Fit Low Fat Vanilla. Going to try Greek yogurt again... last time I got plain. I couldn't stomach one bite.

Diary open now.