How to calculate your TDEE made simple

Options
The fastest way to calculate your TDEE

The fastest and easiest method for calculating your total daily energy expenditure, is by multiplying your total body weight by a certain amount of calories for each pound of body weight.
If you have an average amount of muscle mass and body fat, this method can be quite accurate.

To maintain your current weight you multiply your current body weight by 15 calories per pound of bodyweight.

For example 200 pounds multiplied by 15 calories, would give you a maintenance level calorie intake of 3000 calories per day!

If you want to lose weight you would multiply your current body weight by 12 calories per pound of bodyweight.

This would be 200 pounds multiplied by 12 calories, which would give you 2400 calorie intake for weight loss.

This quick formula does not take into account your current body composition or your current activity levels.

But if you want to get a quick ball park figure of your optimum daily calorie intake...it does the job.

Using BMR will be even more accurate

Formulas for calculating your daily maintenance calorie intake based on your basal metabolic rate (BMR), that are multiplied by your activity level, will always be the more accurate.
YOUR FIRST OPTION...

The first formula The Harris-Benedict formula can be used if you have not calculated your lean body mass (LBM).

For this formula you use your age, sex, height and weight to determine your basal metabolic rate (BMR).

It is much more accurate than the quick formula above, but not as accurate as the Katch-McArdle formula below. Here is the formula:

-For Men to calculate BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) – (6.8 x age in years)

-For Women to calculate BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) – (4.7 x age in years)

...For your weight, 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds

...For your height, 1 inch = 2.54 cm

Example #1: You are a male, 35 years old, 6 foot tall (182.88 cm), you weigh 200 pounds (91 kg). Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) will be 66 + 1246.7 + 914.4 – 238 = 1989.1 calorie intake per day!

Example #2: You are a female, 35 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall (170.69 cm), you weigh 132 pounds (60 kg). Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) will be 655 + 576 + 307.24 – 164.5 = 1373.74 calorie intake per day!

Once you know your BMR (basal metabolic rate) then use your daily activity factor to get your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE):

-Sedentary................BMR x 1.2 (little exercise)

-Lightly active...........BMR x 1.375 (light exercise)

-Moderately active.....BMR x 1.55 (moderate exercise)

-Very active.............BMR x 1.725 (hard exercise)

-Extremely active......BMR x 1.9 (hard exercise daily)

For example #1... if you are a moderately active male…your TDEE will be 1989.1 calories times your activity level of 1.55 which equals 3083 calories per day.

For example #2... if you are a moderately active female, your TDEE will be 1373.74 calories times your activity level of 1.55 which equals 2129.30 calories per day.

The Harris-Benedict equation has a separate formula for men and women, because as we already mentioned, most men have higher muscle mass and larger bodies.

YOUR SECOND OPTION...

The second formula Katch-McArdle, takes into account your lean body mass (LBM), and will be the most accurate formula that you can use, to get the most accurate total daily energy expenditure.

The formula is BMR = 370 + (21.6 x lean body mass in kg), for both men and women.

Example #1: You are a male, you weigh 200 pounds (91 kg). Your body fat percentage is 20% (40 pounds fat, 160 pounds lean body mass) Your lean body mass (LBM) is 72.72 kg. Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) will be 370 + (21.6 x 72.72) = 1940.75 calorie intake per day!

Example #2: You are a female, you weigh 132 pounds (60 kg). Your body fat percentage is 20% (26.4 pounds fat, 105.6 pounds lean body mass) Your lean body mass (LBM) is 48 kg. Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) will be 370 + (21.6 x 48) = 1406.8 calorie intake per day!

Once you know your BMR then use your daily activity factor to get your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE):

-Sedentary................BMR x 1.2 (little exercise)

-Lightly active...........BMR x 1.375 (light exercise)

-Moderately active.....BMR x 1.55 (moderate exercise)

-Very active.............BMR x 1.725 (hard exercise)

-Extremely active......BMR x 1.9 (hard exercise daily)

For example #1... if you are a moderately active male…your TDEE will be 1940.75 calories times your activity level of 1.55 this will be 3088 calories per day.

For example #2... if you are a moderately active female, your TDEE will be 1406.8 calories times your activity level of 1.55 this will be 2180.54 calories per day.

As you can see the difference between the second and third formula is very minimal.

I hope you helps :smile: .

Replies

• Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Thx Taz you are so very helpful! :smile:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info Tazzy!!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Excellent information
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Excellent, thanks :-)
    I myself made a calculator here
    http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls
    it includes the 3 formulas :)
  • Rowlsty
    Rowlsty Posts: 20
    Options
    Awesome info
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    though everyone was aware of this site but........it does it all for you

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
  • cibilbee
    cibilbee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Great information!
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 later
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    tough to find anything easier than this>>> http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you would multiply your current body weight by 12 calories per pound of bodyweight.

This would be an extremely slow weight loss for some (or many?)

For me: 160*12=1920. That's about 30 calories under my total daily expenditure (per Fitbit, and I walk 10,000 steps/day). To lose 20 lbs. would take me over 6 years. Probably more because as you shrink, your deficit gets more conservative if you recalc it.

If I quit my walking goals, I would gain at 1920/day.

I've heard to take your current weight x 10 for weight loss, though. That makes more sense to me, and is still fairly conservative as a deficit.
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Right on! Those are some easy calculations. Thank you. I just upped my calorie intake and it appears I was right in doing so - the calculations aren't too far off with what I have now. So now I have a range that I can play with till I eat the right number. Thanks! I don't really do the TDEE because I burn a different amount of calories with each exercise, so I like the first calculations where you multiply your current weight with either 12 or 15, and then add your exercise calories. Very good info.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    bump
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aim4skinnyjeans
    Aim4skinnyjeans Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump for the noobs cause I know questions will be asked.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hmmm I do not agree at all.

If I take my current bw and x15=2430....that is not my TDEE. It is 500 over my current TDEE...If i ate that I would gain 1lb a week...counter productive.

Here is the easy way.

Take a period of time (I used 21 days)

((Total calories in+lbs lost) * 3500)/# days

This is the easy way. You need to be as accurate as possible with the intake (using a kitchen scale) and longer then 1 week.

For me that gave me a TDEE of 1995....I eat TDEE-20%=1600 and I lose 1lb a week with that.

The OPs "over simlified" calculations will not lead you down the road to weight loss....

BTW this calculation is in the ETP group...2 people who really give great information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

ETA: Zombie thread that shouldn't have been bumped...