Spaghetti Squash in place of spaghetti YUMM!

Options
2»

Replies

• DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    how do uguys mke it into noodles form u use your any utensils like a fork ?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I like cutting it up and putting it in the oven with seasonings on it...yum
  • COLOMomOf4
    COLOMomOf4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    love, love, love Spaghetti Squash! I'm making it tongiht. Too hot to run the oven though - so it's in the crockpot (whole squash in crockpot with about a cup of water in the bottom - on low for 8-10 hours) while I'm at work. When I get home, I'll be mixing it w/ some sauted diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, and low fat feta cheese. Can't wait until dinner! :smile:
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Seriously, this is a recipe that'll stick in our household! I just cut a spaghetti squash in half, stuck it in the oven for an hour at 375, scooped it out, topped with spaghetti sauce and grilled chicken breast. So easy and SOOO yummy! My 2 year old daughter just kept shoveling away like she does with regular pasta and saying, "SKETTI!" :D So happy about this!

Huge spags fan, but I always shy away of pasta when I'm trying to shed weight. This sounds like a great idea. Thank you!
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is one of my faves! Glad your family enjoys it. My boyfriend won't even try it but I guess there's more for me that way lol.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I tried this for the first time a week ago... the 'noodles' were so watery / soggy.
    Are they always that way or did I mess it up?? I have the ability to mess up cheese toasties - so it was probably me...

I cut it in half length wise, scoop out the seeds, then lay it open side down in a baking dish with just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish. I bake mine on 350 for about 45 mins. When it cools, use a fork to string the inside of it out (I can get almost down to the skin...it's a lot of "spaghetti"). Mine comes out crunchy, but not TOO crunchy. I either add spaghetti sauce and grilled chicken or a little bit of EVOO and some seasoning, then mix it with some grilled peppers, ohions, mushrooms and even shrimp.

Thanks! I'll try this one - I opted for the microwave last time.
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will have to try to make my own at home. I know I went out to eat the other day and tried the spaghetti squash marinara at Ruby Tuesday's and I did not think it was a substitute for pasta.
  • Jenna9797
    Jenna9797 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't eat noodles, and I have been meaning to try this. I love lasagna with egg plant or zucchini instead of noodles...yum!!
    I have a meat slicer and I was wondering if you could use it to make thin sheet noodles of the raw egg plant? Have you tried that?
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    In answer to someone above, my spaghetti squash does not come out watery. It comes out very dry actually. I cut it down the middle, scoop out the seeds, lay it face up in the microwave and cook. The large one I cooked yesterday cooked about 25 minutes. It is done when you could scrape over it with a fork and the strands pull out like spaghetti. Check it from time to time. Maybe you are cooking yours too long and it's getting watery....I'm not sure.

I, also, like to but a little butter and cinnamon and sweetener in it before I bake and bake it like that and eat it. It is good with garlic, salt and pepper. Ranch dressing. Butter. Etc.

I like the microwave in this hot summer so it doesn't heat up the house.

it does make a lot of spaghetti and if it's done it will pull out right down to the outside peel and leave it clean.
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is MY FAV right now..that and steamed broccoli..

I made Spa squash last week and just put the whole thing in the microwave (not cut at all) with about half and inch of water in a dish on high for 8 minutes and tested it...then did it for another 8 minutes and at about the 6 minute mark I checked it and the flesh was nice and soft but still firm but easy enough to cut through with a knife--sliced it in half removed the seeds with a spoon and then held the sides with a hot pad and forked out all the "noodles"

1 cup is SO filling too