need a good book.....suggestions

2»

Replies

• serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen. I have also heard good things about the book the Life of Pi.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Anything by Jen Lancaster or Alice Hoffman.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    I'm all about crime and romance and I really like the books by Karin Slaughter. Read them in order starting with Blindsighted. Her newest book came out today and I can't wait to get it and see how the story progresses.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    In response to:

SocWkrBee

I prefer to read "trash", LOL! Maybe check out the Dark Lover series by JR Ward?

me too... these days anyway ;) Check out my recommendations earlier in this post.

****edited to add quote
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm all about crime and romance and I really like the books by Karin Slaughter. Read them in order starting with Blindsighted. Her newest book came out today and I can't wait to get it and see how the story progresses.

I literally (heh heh) just plowed through the grant county series- I see that the new book combines Sara Linton and some of her other series characters- Do you know if you need to read the other series first?
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Not sure if you are aware, but you can get kindle books from you local libraries.
    All you need is a library card (kow your passcode), and home computer.
    Great feature.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Water for Elephants
    The Raising by Laura Kasischke
    any book by Linda Lael Miller
    A Painted House by John Grisham (so good!)
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member

I literally (heh heh) just plowed through the grant county series- I see that the new book combines Sara Linton and some of her other series characters- Do you know if you need to read the other series first?

I think Will is the more central character in this one. They are gradually building he and Sara's realtionship. I miss Jeffery.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Not sure if you are aware, but you can get kindle books from you local libraries.
    Great feature.

That's how I am reading the Game of Thrones series and the Emperor series... I love it! and you can read kindle books for free on your ipad this way... :-D
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    If you're up for some humor and like biographies..."I Am Ozzy" is one of the funniest books I've ever read.

I didn't read through what else was mentioned, but in the last year I really loved "Water for Elephants", "The Help"

Other good fun authors are the "One for the Money" series by Janet Evanovich (light, laugh-out-loud funny reading and there are 18 of them so far, I believe).

Michael Connelly -"Lincoln Lawyer" (and pretty much everything else he's written).

Oh, and "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson (I think its considered fiction but is based on historical acccounts of the Chicago Worlds Fair and a serial killer in Chicago at the same time). Really good read!
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Hey I need a good book to put on my kindle any suggestions? I have read 50 Shades trilogy ans Hunger Games series as well!

I just read: "I have Iraq in my shoe"... true story abt this American woman who went to Iraq to teach English (and pay off her debt)... GREAT book!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Great feature.

This is a great idea. I know there is an app called "3M Cloud Library." It is free to download and you can use it to check out eBooks from your local library. Since it is a cloud library, you can check out and read your books across multiple devices such as your computer, phone, and ipad/tablet. I use it on my Android and iPad. It is a very neat tool! Much cheaper than buying eBooks. At least for me it is because I only ready a book once. So, $10 for an eBook is frivolous to me.

I have to add all of Marina Fiorato's books!!! They're historical fiction, but mostly a fictional story based on historical culture. They are SO good! Especially The Botticelli Secret! I was an Art History major and was very familiar with the artist Sandro Botticelli so this book was exciting for me.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    I primarily stick with classics--love The Count of Monte Cristo and The Scarlet Pimpernel. In the middle of Ivanhoe on my kindle, and I'm finding it pretty entertaining. Also, I can re-read Jane Eyre or anything by Jane Austen. Best part is, most classics are public domain, so you can find free e-book versions!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess
    6113uK-Y7RL.jpg
  • I was going to suggest Poisonwood as well! I also loved Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver.
    Still Life With Crows by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Those are my favorites
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    *bump*