What made you start running?

Options
I started running twice in my life- first, when I was going in to high school and the first cut for making the soccer team was that you had to do 4 miles in 40 mins- if you couldn't do that you couldn't try out any further. Then, I realized that I could get a more advantageous position if I could play midfield in addition to offense, which meant a LOT of running- so I amped up my running so that I could make varsity in 10th grade.

I didn't run as a sport of it's own until I was in college, and my school work dictated that I couldn't play competitive soccer anymore. I wasn't great at that level anyway, so it wasn't a huge loss, but I felt abandoned without a team sport, having been on teams literally my whole life. I eventually realized running was something I could do by myself on my own time! For my 22nd birthday I bought myself entry in to the VA beach Rock & Roll Half Marathon, due to take place on my 23rd birthday- it was expensive (really expensive for a college student!) but I had a year to prepare. When I undertook this mission, I could not run at all, I had let my fitness completely go and couldn't run a mile straight. On my 23rd b-day I finished my first half, on the beach, in 2:15:44.

That's my story- what's yours?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Cops.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I ran so I could eat more. Walking was becoming too time consuming LOL.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I ran so I could eat more. Walking was becoming too time consuming LOL.

I hear that!
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    To be fitter.
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to run because I had to do so when I was enlisted.

Years later, I started running because I had a pretty girl, with the right set of blue eyes ask, "Are you running the 10K with us next month?" ...Why yes, yes I am :wink:

Then for years I continued to run just to prove to myself that I could finish the races I joined (I never win - with the exception of one age group event - I just finish).

Now? Now I actually run because I enjoy it. I've knocked out four marathons in two months (May, June) and I've got twelve more on the calendar between August and the middle of January.

The unfortunate side effect is that I never seem to have anything else to talk about :ohwell:
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I used to run because I had to do so when I was enlisted.

Years later, I started running because I had a pretty girl, with the right set of blue eyes ask, "Are you running the 10K with us next month?" ...Why yes, yes I am :wink:

Then for years I continued to run just to prove to myself that I could finish the races I joined (I never win - with the exception of one age group event - I just finish).

Now? Now I actually run because I enjoy it. I've knocked out four marathons in two months (May, June) and I've got twelve more on the calendar between August and the middle of January.

The unfortunate side effect is that I never seem to have anything else to talk about :ohwell:

Wow- that is a LOT of marathons! I know what you mean about not having anything to talk about too- people who don't run- specifically all of my friends and family- don't want to hear about running EVER either, they act like you just cornered them with a scrapbook about your 17 cats when you bring it up!
  • blazingmissp
    blazingmissp Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get into shape. I started off by walking and then running just came natural after walking was just not enough. Now I love running, and I am addicted to getting out there and hitting the pavement.
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I realised that If you cannot run then you are not as fit as you should be. I hope this does not offend non runners.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Running is for criminals. ;-)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Running is for criminals. ;-)

And the criminally insane! Which I sometimes feel like when I go run for 2 hours in the summer heat...
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I started running when I realized that any time I walked ANYWHERE, there was an urge inside of me to actually run instead. One day I said F it and started jogging (which killed me after about 20 seconds).

I slowly kept at it and to this day I am still a slow poke runner BUT I've finished seven 5Ks and one 10K. I am registered for my first half marathon (The Tinkerbell one at Disneyland next January) and I'll be doing my first Spartan Sprint in December. I am addicted and I love it! :drinker:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I started running to be able to do one of the Run Disney Events... I was a slower walker so I knew if I wanted to finish in the time allotted, I would have to move a bit faster than walk. So at age 39, after never running in my life, I started training for a 5K.

Next thing I knew I was signed up for a half marathon.

Sunday I will run my 7th Half Marathon in 3 1/2 years.

Now... I run so I can eat more! :laugh:
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It was the only thing preventing me from doing Triathlons, which I always wanted to do!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Because a new wife and Corvette for my mid life crisis is too expensive!

Seriously- because I needed to get fit and give my body a break from the junk!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I started running when I realized that any time I walked ANYWHERE, there was an urge inside of me to actually run instead. One day I said F it and started jogging (which killed me after about 20 seconds).

I slowly kept at it and to this day I am still a slow poke runner BUT I've finished seven 5Ks and one 10K. I am registered for my first half marathon (The Tinkerbell one at Disneyland next January) and I'll be doing my first Spartan Sprint in December. I am addicted and I love it! :drinker:

I have the sudden urge to scream out "RUN FORREST RUN"
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    1) It's something I've NEVER been able to do.
    2) Jillian Michaels said that she hates running...but she does it because it makes her skinny. I guess I just always figured skinny people were born loving running.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am registered for my first half marathon (The Tinkerbell one at Disneyland next January) and I'll be doing my first Spartan Sprint in December. I am addicted and I love it! :drinker:

I'm doing the Tinkerbell in January, too! Hubby and I ran it last year (he was one of the 900 guys out of 11,000 women!) and decided to do it again this year. :happy:
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I had asthma as a child so I grew up thinking I couldn't run. In 2002, I was diagnosed with a form of arthritis so I thought I'd never be able to run because of the damage to my knees. Then, in January 2012, I found out I had been misdiagnosed and there's really nothing wrong with me. So, I started Couch to 5K. And it sucked. I hated running. And then, 6 weeks into it, I literally hit my stride. I run three times a week now and I can't imagine NOT doing it. It keeps me sane. Except for Yoga, it improves my outlook more than any other activity. Right now, I'm working on increasing my speed before the Warrior Dash in September!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I just always thought it looked fun and walking is booooooooring!! The first 2 times I started, I got shin splints and had to quit, but then I got some good shoes and inserts and just started. The first time I went I just started making mini goals.....ex: ok, make it to that tree, then walk to that tree, then run to that.... and before I knew it, I ran a mile, then 2, then 3 and 4. And I'm at 4 for now. I eventually want to be able to go 6 miles without stopping. I don't care so much about time, however, I'm pretty proud my fastest mile is 9 min 16 sec. Never beat it though. Never. I'm a 10 min mile person. Not so hot, but I run laps around the peeps on the couch!!:laugh:
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    i started running this year because its free and good for me. oh and i get to eat more hehe