Fourth of July food?

Options
iheartmarshall
iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
What is everyone eating to stay healthy on the Fourth of July? I'm doing an appetizer-style luncheon with some friends and I'm making a "Skinny Taco Casserole" with ground turkey, taco seasoning, and typical taco toppings. Sounds iffy, but it's actually a Weight Watchers recipe! For dessert, we're doing sugar free (and low cal!) popsicles. I can't wait :)

Replies

• AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    We're having an annual pool party with a bunch of friends. Everyone is bringing something different. I plan on bringing a fresh fruit salad and a skinny buffalo chicken dip with baked tortilla chips! :)
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    We are planning grilled chicken and schiscabobs with zucchini, red pepper, and mushrooms, with watermelon for an appetizer.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Those both sound like such great ideas. I am not sure what our menu will hold but for me it will include lots of veggies and fruit to keep me full. I love buffalo chicken so if you don't care to share I'd love to have that recipe! Thanks :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be perfectly honest here. Unless you're the type of person who can't trust yourself to get back on the wagon after a day of splurging, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a cheat day especially on a major holiday that involves family get-togethers and good food. One day won't set you back, that is, unless you lack the willpower to keep just one day from totally derailing you. And, again, to be honest, not allowing yourself the opportunity to enjoy these events is something of concern because it says to me (and I could be wrong, but this is how I see it) that you are the type of person who takes it to an obsessive level that puts you at risk for some of the psychological disorders associated with it, including, but not limited to, EDs or "exercise bulimia." Take a day, enjoy it, and don't feel guilty. You're allowed.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We're having an annual pool party with a bunch of friends. Everyone is bringing something different. I plan on bringing a fresh fruit salad and a skinny buffalo chicken dip with baked tortilla chips! :)

Care to share the skinny buffalo chicken dip? It sounds very yummy
  • AmyP619
    Options
    Those both sound like such great ideas. I am not sure what our menu will hold but for me it will include lots of veggies and fruit to keep me full. I love buffalo chicken so if you don't care to share I'd love to have that recipe! Thanks :)

Of course!! We are obsessed with Frank's red hot and use it on a lot!!!!!! The recipe is right on the Frank's Red Hot website, but I substitute everything out with fat free or light. I use fat free cream cheese, reduced fat shredded mozzarella and light ranch dressing!! It's AMAZING!!

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/franks-redhot-buffalo-chicken-dip-RE1242
  • Becky1027
    Becky1027 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be perfectly honest here. Unless you're the type of person who can't trust yourself to get back on the wagon after a day of splurging, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a cheat day especially on a major holiday that involves family get-togethers and good food. One day won't set you back, that is, unless you lack the willpower to keep just one day from totally derailing you. And, again, to be honest, not allowing yourself the opportunity to enjoy these events is something of concern because it says to me (and I could be wrong, but this is how I see it) that you are the type of person who takes it to an obsessive level that puts you at risk for some of the psychological disorders associated with it, including, but not limited to, EDs or "exercise bulimia." Take a day, enjoy it, and don't feel guilty. You're allowed.

Totally agree 100%
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Great idea!
  • AmyP619
    Options

Totally agree 100%

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying the day by eating healthier versions of your favorite recipes either. I don't think that if you don't take cheat days you'll develop psychological issues..... I think it's just a matter of personal preference for everyone. I dislike cheat days because the minute I eat unhealthy, my body gains 2-3 lbs....then it takes me 4-5 days to take those lbs back off...and then I can start losing for the week with only 3 days left to try. It sets me back an entire week, and right now all I want to do is see the scale drop. Once I am at my goal weight, I'll be good with maintenance and cheat days and all that!! Even eating healthier versions, like my skinny buffalo chicken dip, the calories do add up! By the time you count the calories in the chips and in the dip..you're a few hundred calories deep with 20 others dishes to choose from!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I do have my cheat days.... usually Friday night I'll have a higher calorie dinner than normal, so I don't throw them out altogether, but there ARE ways to enjoy days like tomorrow by eating healthier recipes!!! There are tons of yummy ideas out there!!!!!! :)
    But yes, I do agree, cheat days are OK!!
  • AmyP619
    Options

Where did you get the skinny buffalo chicken recipe?

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/franks-redhot-buffalo-chicken-dip-RE1242

go there! I substitute all regular items with fat free and light stuff!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 5k in the morning with a bunch of friends and family, and we're coming back to my house afterwards for baked french toast with fresh berries and yogurt. Yummy!

The rest of the day will be typical holiday eats... I normally try to stay in control by eating either chicken or steak and lots of grilled veggies.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Here's a dessert idea- angel food cake topped with light Cool Whip, blueberries, and strawberries or raspberries :)

Angel food cake is actually pretty low in cals so this dessert feels like a "cheat" but it's really not!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I agree to some degree. but i know with myself. If i'm just at the begining of getting back to "it" ... I have to develop a habit before I can take a day off, otherwise it is a slippery slope.

Otherwise, I agree... I just try to remember my "staple" healthy eating.. i.e., i feel much better (afterwards) if i stay away from POP... and there is no need to have 500 carbs, just appreciate the food and be realistic...
  • Kebabmeatchips
    Kebabmeatchips Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Toad in the hole. Yum!
  • iheartmarshall
    iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I love homemade tacos but I am substituting my usual ingredients for low-fat/fat-free versions and I'm using ground turkey instead of ground beef. Just little changes, but I'll still get to enjoy something I loved pre-lifestyle change.

And honestly, I'm not quite ready for cheat days just yet. My start date for changing my habits was on Sunday (July 1st; figured it was easier to do it the first of a month!) and tomorrow, I'll only be four days in. I don't want to go back to old habits this soon, you know? Cheat days will come later though, I'm sure :)

On another note, here's another Weight Watchers-friendly recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip. IT IS SO GOOD!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip.html
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    these threads are funny.

im going to start with booze...likely white wine...might even get a bottle of hard stuff.
    we'll have apps...scoops with maybe spinach artichoke dip, maybe buffalo dip if there's time.

then the grill gets fired up. there will be burgers, dogs, and sausages on it...and because im indecisive, i'll likely have some of each. burgers will need to have a lovely bleu cheese or gorgonzola crumbled on top. maybe bacon. no, eff that...DEF bacon. and lots of it.
    sides of potato salad and cobs of corn. pasta salad too.

dessert will be brought by guests, so who knows what we'll wind up with....but in an effort to be polite, i'll have some of each.

time for fireworks.
    finale....done.

back to the house.

another burger, more booze. "who wants another dessert?" *raises hand*

i will have run that morning, so that's good.
    might even run on thursday (my off day), but no promises.

the best part...
    i will have done NO damage to my progress.
    YAY!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Its a holiday..so I plan to eat whats there..brats, ribs, burgers, dips, soda...and cupcakes...yikes!
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Here's our menu. It's not light or healthy, but I plan on being moderate with my portion sizes and doing Zumba before the party starts. With drinks, I may go over, and that's okay with me too.

Bratts
    Potato Salad
    Cole Slaw
    Watermelon
    Chips
    Margaritas

and some yet to be determined dessert.

It is a holiday after all. I'm not going to go crazy and stuff my face, but I'm going to enjoy myself.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    these threads are funny.

im going to start with booze...likely white wine...might even get a bottle of hard stuff.
    we'll have apps...scoops with maybe spinach artichoke dip, maybe buffalo dip if there's time.

then the grill gets fired up. there will be burgers, dogs, and sausages on it...and because im indecisive, i'll likely have some of each. burgers will need to have a lovely bleu cheese or gorgonzola crumbled on top. maybe bacon. no, eff that...DEF bacon. and lots of it.
    sides of potato salad and cobs of corn. pasta salad too.

dessert will be brought by guests, so who knows what we'll wind up with....but in an effort to be polite, i'll have some of each.

time for fireworks.
    finale....done.

back to the house.

another burger, more booze. "who wants another dessert?" *raises hand*

i will have run that morning, so that's good.
    might even run on thursday (my off day), but no promises.

the best part...
    i will have done NO damage to my progress.
    YAY!

I'll copy-cat this^^^^
    Only diff is the gym for me, no running.
    ENJOY yourselves people!!