What made you start running?

Options

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    because my Gym closed down so had to do something for excercise - was an ex- smoker until I built up endurance it was awful - could barely make it a block. Now I love it give me time to unwind and think
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    To lower my stupid blood pressure.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I ran so I could eat more. Walking was becoming too time consuming LOL.

^^This! Walking wasn't doing it for me anymore, so I had to pick up the pace...

I'm with these two. I could either being walking on an incline at a super fast pace forever or just start running.

So I picked up C25K and will be doing week 2 day 2 tomorrow.

Plus I've always hated running, so I want to see if I can actually enjoy it.. haven't gotten totally there yet, but I do feel pretty awesome when I complete a day of C25K.

Do you run on a treadmill or outside? I started running outside for week 3 and now I love it more with every run!
  • TinaA72
    TinaA72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    After having my first child in 2011 (at age 38) I wanted to lose the extra baby weight and walking just wasn't doing it for me anymore. So, I found the C25K program and started running. It was definitely a chore at first! The first week I had shin splints and could barely run a minute. Now, I can run 3 miles nonstop. I've done 2 5k's and hope to do more this year. Everyone's stories are such an inspiration to me! I've gotten a little off track with my running program and am eager to restart especially after reading your stories both encouraging and funny! Thanks for your messages...
  • MauC25K
    MauC25K Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Yes! Yes! No other exercise was doing it for me anymore. If I run, I lose weight. If I don't, I don't.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My ex-wife... started running and she still hasn't found me! (Rimshot please?)

Seriously... I started to run when I was publicly humiliated at Disney world. How the world's happiest place can be so insensitive to call someone up on a stage and publicly make fun of their weight is beyond me? I will never take my wife and kids their again. I was humiliated, embarrassed and really thought about suing them for it.

During my flight home from Florida, I had several hours to think... I realized I could blame Disney all I wanted, but I myself needed to prove them wrong. I also concluded that the largest fat burning muscles in the body were the legs.

When I came home, I purchased a WII, and a Treadmill and 4-5 years later, 100 pounds lighter, and close to 5000 miles run, I coach other beginning runners on how to get started.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I had always enjoyed running and playing team sports. After knee surgery when the doc said "I shouldn't" run it deflated me for a few years and I got away from exercise. Coming back was the best thing ever and Running is what I love. Don't let people tell you you can't do something.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I'm with these two. I could either being walking on an incline at a super fast pace forever or just start running.

Plus I've always hated running, so I want to see if I can actually enjoy it.. haven't gotten totally there yet, but I do feel pretty awesome when I complete a day of C25K.

Do you run on a treadmill or outside? I started running outside for week 3 and now I love it more with every run!

Mostly out side.. Did 1 day of C25K on a treadmill, but god was that a pain the *kitten* flipping the dial every minute or so.

So much easier outside!
  • skinnyby30
    skinnyby30 Posts: 14
    Options
    I wanted to get in shape and i was not able to run at all my sis told me to do the 5k101 program and I am addicted to running now lol! Okay not really addicted but I make sure to run at least 2-4 times a week unless im sick :) I love it
  • skinnyby30
    skinnyby30 Posts: 14
    Options
    To prove to myself I could do it :)
    Amazing Answer! I couldnt agree with you more
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Mostly out side.. Did 1 day of C25K on a treadmill, but god was that a pain the *kitten* flipping the dial every minute or so.

So much easier outside!

I agree! Running outside is easier and I lose myself more and just keep going. Plus, it is easier to push myself to keep going! You'll get there eventually! I know today was my best run yet....I made it through the C25K portion with ease and just couldn't stop!
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I started just to try it out, see if I could and if I'll like it. For the record, I can but I don't like it at all. But that's hardly news for me, so I suck it up and keep going because it's time efficient and does wonders for my lung capacity and the shape of my legs.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    simply because I have no earthly business being a runner. I'm just not supposed to run or be a runner. i had 3 abortive attempts at c25k, but this time, saw it through to the end. but seriously...me a runner? that's as unlikely as Osama Bin Laden getting a nobel peace prize. even my family and those closest to me are stunned.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had no reason NOT to run. i just started the other day the c25k program. I love it! i was laying in bed the other morning around 615 an was on Facebook and saw a few of my friends posted that were going for their morning run. As i turned on the tv I thought to myself I really should go run, but I'll do it tomorrow. Then I sat up turned off the tv and got a little mad at myself and thought "I know myself, tomorrow will NEVER come!" So I got outta bed downloaded the c25k podcast and off I went.... for the past few days I couldn't wait to get up to go run

...oh yeah and my husband and I are going to Mexico in Feb - a little added motivation :)
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I never made a decision to start running. My parents put me in soccer when I was 6 years old. To play soccer means to run. As I got better and better at soccer and started playing for regional and then provincial teams the amount of running at practices and games got to be large. Many times we would run 10km and then practice. When we started doing track and field in grade school you had to pick which races you would try. Well I have never been fast and due to soccer was a runner so I chose the longer distances like 800 meters and 1500 meters. The track coach then asked me to run 5 and 10 km races for the school in the off season and I really liked it.

I stopped running due to a health problem. When I was finally able to work out again the first thing I wanted to do was run.
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started running becuase the P90X cardio was getting boring, the weather started to get nice, and my dog is fat. She has lost 9 lbs and I have lost 21. Win, win.
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started running because my dad is a runner, and I wanted to do XC and track.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping to keep the stories coming! I know there's more runners out there, and everyone has a story. I find all the stories so motivational!
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Because I'm cheap! I live in So Cal and the weather is almost always good enough for a run. All I need to burn some calories is a decent pair of running shoes. I've been running for most of my life now. :)
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I only started last week... but like most things in my life... I wanted to see if I could do it. I did it, now I love it