Ideas for Hosting Board Game Nights

Options
dj_phx
dj_phx Posts: 115 Member
My boyfriend and I host board game days at our house at least twice a month that go from 1pm to about midnight or so. We have always ordered pizza, but I've been trying to come up with some other ideas that would be easy, healthy and possibly less expensive. We are going to start adding in a potluck game day occasionally, but does anyone have any suggestions for the game days we supply dinner?

Replies

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I want to live near you! We love board games.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Subway sandwiches with fruit and veggie trays
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Salsa (try making your own...its not hard) with baked chips, and nuts like pistachios and almonds.

And you can make your own personal pizzas with low carb flatbread, mozzerella cheese and pizza sauce. You can add veggies if you want.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    a great little snack id my twist on caprese salad.

mozzarella
    basil leaves
    cherry tomatoes

instead of slicing it all up and throwing it on a salad take on small piece of cheese, one basil leaf, and one cheery tomato and put it on a toothpick. Then put them all on a plate and drizzle with evoo. AMAZING and easy to eat! (you fool people into eating healthy!!)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Make skinless chicken strips. Use hot sauce and it's like wings.
    Kabobs.
    Do up a big lasagna with whole grain noodles or substitute thin slices of zucchini for the noodles. Add spinach in the cottage cheese.
    Vegetarian black bean chili with corn bread. Rinse the beans thoroughly to get the slimy stuff off and it gets rid if the gas factor.
    Stir fry with brown rice or chow mein noodles (chow mein aren't healthy at all, I just really like them.) You can eat more stir fry and less rice/noodles to keep the calories down for yourself.
    Make a big pot of soup or stew with biscuits.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Encourage ppl to bring healthy "pot luck" items?
    Make a vegetarian lower fat lasagna
    low fat chili
    fruit and veggie tray with dippers
    potato bars with healthier items like low or no fat sour cream, salsa, low or no fat cheese, etc
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    What type of boardgaming? I belong to a boardgaming group where I live - we do a lot of euros, Love it :)
    We usually put some hot finger foods in the oven and put them out. I keep track of what and how many I'm eating.
    My other friends, for star trek RPGing order out and we all get what we want. So instead of pizza maybe you can get something else from the menu?
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wish you were in the DFW area, that sounds fun.

What about black bean dip? Here is my recipe, it is delish

Ingredients
    • 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained
    • 1 can corn rinsed and drained
    • 1 small purple onion chopped
    • 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced,
    • 1 can rotel drained
    • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
    • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
    • 2 Tbsp lime juice
    • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • Garlic Powder
    • Onion Powder

Also, another good one here.
  • April4th
    April4th Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wish I lived near you. I love playing board games but have no one to play with.

I have a fantastic homemade salsa recipe if you're interested.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its been a while since i spent a day playing Settlers, Puerto Rico.....good times.

of course you have to bet money on the outcome to make it extra interesting. :)
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Fun! We're hosting a Newlywed Game night with some friends in a bit. We're going the heavy apps route with everyone. :)

For group dinners, one thing I love to make is bbq beef sandwiches. You can also do it with chicken if you prefer. Just throw it in the crockpot (chicken breasts or a trimmed beef roast) and cover it with some chopped onion, your fave bbq sauce and a little bit of liquid smoke. (I like Sweet Baby Ray's.) Keep it on low all day and then all you have to do is shred it with forks and split some rolls. I do this a lot for a crowd!

You can also do a big pot of chili and then people top baked potatoes or nachos if you set out some (baked) tortilla chips and some toppings.

Have fun!
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I make Whole Wheat PinWheels. I grab a can of whole wheat crescent rolls and roll out the entire can in one piece. I gently knead/pinch the seams together so that it stays whole. I brush it very lightly with 1/4 tbsp of olive oil. Then, I sprinkle on 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese and crumbled turkey bacon (approx. 6-8 strips...cooked). If you like spinach, add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach (not frozen). Then, carefully roll the long way into a tight log. Cut the log in to 1/4 inch slices and lay on parchment lined cookie sheet. About 12 to a sheet. Makes about 18-24 depending on how cut. Put in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 8-12 minutes...until golden brown and cheese is melted. Delicious and only approx. 120 calories per pinwheel! You can also make these as pizza pinwheels or sandwich pinwheels. Whatever you like. Baking times are pretty much the same.

Wish I lived near you......love playing all types of games! And, the potluck idea is a great one!
  • Hamfam5
    Hamfam5 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just bought some pulled pork bar b q at grocery store ..very good! ( curlys pulled pork hickory flavored) only 100 calories for 1/4 cup, and i used fiber one hamb buns 110 cal and lots of fiber too. Even my daughter loved it! I served it with steamed mixed veggies. But you could serve raw veggies with low cal dip and fruit..(cut up water melon would be good and not pricey) If you work out before hand and keep calories low for that day to save till friends arrive, then you should be ok...you could always drinks hot coffee or tea. You sip while hot to keep from binging.

Hope this helps! Hamfam5
  • dj_phx
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I definitely saw some I'll want to try to change things up, even if it's just to cut down the number of pizzas we get and just have more options. The problem I usually have when I try to shake things up is a lot of these games are kind of expensive so I don't want anything much messier than pizza. =) We also need to have something somewhat substantial since some of them are here 10+ hours. You guys gave a lot of finger food suggestions though that I love.

For those that asked we play a mixed of euro games and theme/war strategy games (Fantasy Flight is a big maker of these types). We are in Chandler, AZ so if any of you are in the area find us on Meetup. =)

Thank again for the suggestions!
  • dj_phx
    Options
    Wish I lived near you. I love playing board games but have no one to play with.

I have a fantastic homemade salsa recipe if you're interested.

Oooo, I love homemade salsa. I would love the recipe.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a "make your own" fajita/taco/burrito bar? Stock it with healthier options like whole wheat and corn tortillas (check ingredients! Tortillas only really need to have 3-5 ingredients. Most have a list over an inch long in tiny print. :-/ ), whole beans in stead of refried (super cheap if you cook dried beans, super easy if you use canned), lean meat(s), brown rice, and tons of veggies (think outside the box!). Low/no fat sour cream, low-fat cheese, and homemade guacamole (healthy fats!) for toppings.

Yes, these can be on the messy side. I go to regular game nights too (not quite as long as yours normally, but I think I get the picture), and I understand the issue of not wanting to spill stuff on expensive games. But even pizza can be messy... greasy fingers, toppings that fall off, etc. I'd just handle other foods by reminding everyone to be careful of eating near the games, encourage a group meal break occasionally, and/or suggest that people who are hungry should skip a round while they eat.

For sweet treats, check out Chocolate Covered Katie's Cooking Dough Dip (google should easily bring up the link), and serve with fruit. :D
  • April4th
    April4th Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Spinnin' Salsa (from Cooking with the Firehouse Chef)

4 c. diced ripe tomatoes or 1 26 1/2 oz. box Pomi brand chopped tomatoes or 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes with juice, hand crushed
    1 c. diced red onion
    1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
    2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 t. Kosher salt
    Juice of 1/2 lime

Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl and taste salsa. You can adjust the seasoning or quantities of various ingredients to suit your taste. When you're happy with it, it's ready to go.

(I always use extra jalapeno, extra garlic, and more lime juice.)
  • dj_phx
    Options
    @soygurl - That's a good idea. I've done taco bars for family get together, but didn't really think of doing it for the game night.

@April4th - Thank you for the recipe, sounds delicious.