I'm getting annoyed with constantly being told this

Options

Replies

• cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    With hypothyroidism, one already has a slow metabolism, the thyroid hormone has an effect on EVERY ORGAN and ORGAN FUNCTION in the BODY. Pretty much when you are in a HYPO state you are SLOW, the stimulation to eat is decreased and the stimulation to process is decreased and you hold on TO EVERYTHING. I know from experience and through my practice and education as an advanced practice nurse. I have the lowest functioning thyroid known to man....lol..... Im on 200mcg synthroid..... and for those of you that dont know thats alot. People tell me you have to eat so many meals a day and so on and so on blah blah blah blah... but you know what IM NOT HUNGRY because my thyroid wont let me be and when I force myself I GAIN. But I found the formula that works for me even if I only eat 1-3 times a day, you have to listen to your body you have to know yourself, it took me a long time but im doing it. And I did it through eating right (FOR ME) and working out.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i would say the simple science of it is is true for everyone. energy out vs energy in etc.

however, all people are different in their energy output.

you say that you have hypothoroid which makes it harder for you to lose weight, but all that would mean is that your body uses different amount of energy that other people.

the science is undefeatable. take 2 identical cars, however 1 is a hybrid and the other a regular gas powered. the hybrid one will use less fuel for the same distance driven due to it having the different internals.

however, the BRM and all that kind of thing is what is being generalised and is not correct for everyone. even wearing a HRM would probably give you an incorrect result due to factors it doesnt consider.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU BLACKTHORN99 - VERY GOOD INFO
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i suppose in the sense that if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight, the science is true. I also have hypothyroidism and PCOS, so the weight doesn't come off like it's supposed to.. my MFP "if you do this you will weigh this in 5 weeks" is never accurate for me, and some weeks I won't lose weight if I follow my calorie goals perfectly, even gain a pound every now and then. But I am not steadily gaining weight, an I am SLOWLY losing it, so I consider that a victory, and those of us with health issues should celebrate at least taking our lives back and living them as healthy as we can regardless of our weight! At least we're eating healthy and not trashing our bodies even if we have a little extra junk in our trunk :) we have to keep our heads up and win the war one day at a time! It's tough, but for some reason we were given these struggles in life and we have to power through them! We can do it, especially with so much support on such a site as this, it's nice to know we are not alone, and we have to ignore those who haven't been in our situation.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have a metebolic disorder. Thats what they call it at the dr. they said I cant metabolize sugar correctly so that being said my sugars fluctuate alot and I dont always abosorbe what I need to and store it as fat rather than expelling them.

The other day I was talking to a friend who has similar issues and she was told she hsould be eating 2200 calories a day no matter what. IF we ate that we would be HUGE because we can not metabolize it correctly. I get so annoyed at dr's who have the nerve to say that you are not eating correctly if you dont eat huge amounts of calories without really researching what is wrong. I guarentee at this point if a dr told me that I would tell them off and then head out the door. IF My endocrinolgist thinks my diet is good and is not arguing then I a dont need a radom dr telling me otherwise. SO I agree you have to do whats right for you and not listen to others that tell you you are wrong. Each person is different as to what works and doesnt work and each person has to solve that puzzle in order to be healthy~
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If one eats less than what one burns, one will lose weight.

It's not always the case, in my opinion. I get the science of it, I do. But it's not the same for every single person.

Just normal daily living burns about 2,000 calories. On a diet for nearly 3 months, I was eating 1200-1500 and in that 3 months, lost 3 lbs. I have hypothyroid, it's hard for me to lose weight. Why do people seem so hellbent on the theory of weight loss, isn't it different for everyone? Because I know it is for me. Maybe I'm the only one, like ever... but I know for a fact it's different for people with thyroid issues, and diabetes in some cases too.

Soooo... you ARE eating less than you are burning AND you are losing weight... so it is the same for you?!?!?! What's the problem?

3 months of busting my butt and 3 lbs? No it's not the same for me. I should be losing way more than that if you look into the science I'm talking about. It's not the same for everyone.

It sounds to me that the issue is not that your are NOT losing weight. It's that you are not losing as much as you want, as fast as you want. 3 lbs lost is 3 lbs lost, either way you look at it. Is it frustrating as hell to work that hard and not lose more than that? Yes, I have no doubt that it is. But the fact is you're still going the right direction. If you aren't happy with the pace, then do something different that will give you the results you want and don't worry about what science says or what the numbers are or what other people say or the fact that your body doesn't work the way you'd like it to. All that worrying and complaining isn't going to get you where you want to be, but maybe your doctor has some other plan that will. Good luck to you.
  • amplahitko
    amplahitko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. And I understand what you mean when you say it isn't working like its supposed to. I've struggled with this for 7 years now. Where sites like this one tell me to eat 1500 calories a day for weight loss, and I do that for months, and nothing. And I exercise 4 days a week, sometimes 5, and I try eating the exercise calories, then NOT eating them, and still nothing.
    There are people on here who are just fat,and when they finally decide to stop eating crap and start moving, they get thin, so for them, they think they have it "all figured out". There are many many more of us who struggle to fit inside the scientific mold of calories in and calories out.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    With hypothyroidism, one already has a slow metabolism, the thyroid hormone has an effect on EVERY ORGAN and ORGAN FUNCTION in the BODY. Pretty much when you are in a HYPO state you are SLOW, the stimulation to eat is decreased and the stimulation to process is decreased and you hold on TO EVERYTHING. I know from experience and through my practice and education as an advanced practice nurse. I have the lowest functioning thyroid known to man....lol..... Im on 200mcg synthroid..... and for those of you that dont know thats alot. People tell me you have to eat so many meals a day and so on and so on blah blah blah blah... but you know what IM NOT HUNGRY because my thyroid wont let me be and when I force myself I GAIN. But I found the formula that works for me even if I only eat 1-3 times a day, you have to listen to your body you have to know yourself, it took me a long time but im doing it. And I did it through eating right (FOR ME) and working out.

I forget my dosage offhand, but I'm up there as well, over 100. and I don't feel it's really working for me, I haven't gotten blood drawn in months because of not having insurance. I know how the thyroid works though, and it SUCKS!! Stupid hormones... something so stupid and little, controlling everything in your body, kind of crazy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yep, if I eat under 1,500 for a couple weeks all weight loss STOPS!

Same here! I've found that exercise is far more important for me than a moderate to large calorie deficit.
  • Debbiefit45
    Options
    Very well said!!
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I agree that everyones body is different and what works for some might not work for others. Especially true when a health-related issue is involved. My advice, keep doing what works for you :)
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a health issue. No 2 people have the same metabolism. However, when determining total caloric intake based on client goals, there is a hidden factor that will make or break the effectiveness of a seemingly perfect diet; the client’s
    individual metabolic rate. There are three general categories of body types, each with an associated type of metabolism which are: ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph. The ectomorph struggles to gain weight and may need additional calories to
    do so. The mesomorph category generally reflects the average metabolic classification. Lastly, the endomorph struggles to lose weight, and fewer calories should be recommended. The General Dietary Advice Chart, as presented, applies directly to these individuals. As discussed above, it was suggested to assign a 500 calorie per day adjustment. This is purely speculative
    as there are varying degrees to these categories. You will need to make the daily caloric adjustment decision on a case-by-case basis. Monitoring body composition will allow you to make future adjustments quite accurately. In determining a client’s metabolic category, compare client eating habits to client appearance. For example, the client who consumes a large number of calories and still appears extremely thin is ectomorphic. The client consuming few calories and who appears
    extremely thin, should be approached as an average healthy individual in regard to the use of the General Dietary Advice Chart. Conversely, the client who consumes few calories and appears extremely heavy, is quite likely endomorphic. Subsequently, the client consuming a large number of calories and who appears extremely heavy, should be approached as a mesomorph
    in regard to the use of the General Dietary Advice Chart.

-NFPT
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroid and want to say that it is not impossible to lose the weight. I used to weigh 294 pounds. I now weigh 175 pounds. Over 100 pounds lost.

How?

First thing you need to know is this - If your TSH is on the higher end and you are still having symptoms of hypothyroid, have your dose increased. You can be on the lower end of the scale and still be within an acceptable range. If your doctor won't change it, see a different doctor. There are many research articles that support this practice.

Second thing - Chances are your metabolism has been screwed up for a long time. The thyroid's job is your metabolism. Read up on increasing your metabolism through exercise and foods. Try it all.

Third thing - Because you have hypothyroid, chances are your body is having trouble getting the nutrition you need. You will want to supplement heavy. I take vitamins C, B12, B6, E, and D as well as magnesium, potassium, Centrum, Calcium, and Fish Oil.

Fourth thing - I know you will not like hearing this, but it is all about the calories. Yes, everyone is different. Once you get your metabolism going, though, it is still all about the calories. You can disagree if you want, but remember, I weighed 294, have had hypothyroid since I was 23, and still lost over 100 pounds through increasing my exercise and watching my calories.

You can too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid too, but I feel like even if I didn't, I don't think the "in-vs.-out" concept would work. I know many, many people who say they have succeeded at calorie counting, but I also know that a majority of them had to change WHAT they were eating to fall underneath those goals, and I think that's where most of the difference lies. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that you can eat 5 twinkies a day and lose weight as long as your output exceeds your intake. I know many people will disagree with me, but I haven't seen anyone maintain a "little debbie" diet, staying within their calorie goals, and be successful.
    Now you have: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • bernieboom1
    Options
    Hi all I'm new here.
    There is a science to it... but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone... I guess like most scientific theories they are based on averages.... ie 8 glasses of water a day.. someone who is particularly small may not need as much as that or someone who has a very physical job may need more than that.

I see a doctor every 6 months for a health problem I have and last time I went I was heavier than before and he was able to calculate by the time it had taken me to put that weight on and how much i'd put on, just how many extra calories I had been eating a day... about 70.

So in my conclusion, yes it is simple science but no it is not the same speed/rate for everyone. (i.e mary might eat a 1500 calorie a day diet for a week and lose 3lb whilst joe might do the same and only lose a 1lb... but either way they will lose some)
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options

It's not always the case, in my opinion. I get the science of it, I do. But it's not the same for every single person.

Just normal daily living burns about 2,000 calories. On a diet for nearly 3 months, I was eating 1200-1500 and in that 3 months, lost 3 lbs. I have hypothyroid, it's hard for me to lose weight. Why do people seem so hellbent on the theory of weight loss, isn't it different for everyone? Because I know it is for me. Maybe I'm the only one, like ever... but I know for a fact it's different for people with thyroid issues, and diabetes in some cases too.

I understand where you are coming from... yet, I'm sure the people recommending the deficit style of weightloss aren't trying to be intentionally obtuse. It's that those with actual medical reasons for altered weightloss programs are generally in the minority, or if they aren't they've not drawn very much attention because they tend not to be vocal. If more people were aware of these medical conditions, I'm sure the reasonable people would change their approach to answering questions immediately.

I do have to ask though, as MFP isn't tailored to those that have medical conditions that hinder or change weightloss, how useful is this site to you? Or are you using it simply as a food and exercise log? I just can't imagine the community boards are very helpful to you because of the lack of understand of your custom dietary and exercise needs.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I lead a VERY active lifestyle (on my feet running around 8-9 hours a day)
    Before I was pregnant I was doing vigorous exercise atleast 1 hour a day ontop of work
    If I net anything about 1400cals I wouldnt drop weight
    Im still over 200lbs
    MFP tells me to maintain my weight I need to eat 2450 or so a day - if I did that I'd probably gain 2lbs a week

Everyone is different.

I like to think of myself as a fuel efficient car :D
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I have hypothyroid too, but I feel like even if I didn't, I don't think the "in-vs.-out" concept would work. I know many, many people who say they have succeeded at calorie counting, but I also know that a majority of them had to change WHAT they were eating to fall underneath those goals, and I think that's where most of the difference lies. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that you can eat 5 twinkies a day and lose weight as long as your output exceeds your intake. I know many people will disagree with me, but I haven't seen anyone maintain a "little debbie" diet, staying within their calorie goals, and be successful.

I COMPLETELY AGREE to this. Maybe because of my metabolic disorder I know its not possible. But this is very true. YOU still have to eat healthy. You cant expect to loose weight if you dont change or decrease the bad stuff that you eat. I decreased the bad stuff and dont eat as much as often and Im loosing. You cant keep eating bad stuff and try to exercise it off and loose. I dont think its possible.
  • dogberry3
    dogberry3 Posts: 21
    Options

I'm not starving myself with the 1200 calories. I was aiming for 1200, no more than 1500 for those 3 months. I ate small amounts every couple of hours, drank a lot of water, exercised.

I would suggest looking at what foods affect you more than others. For me the more rice I eat the better it is so really I can eat more calories of rice and not keep on the weight than I can of say bread or potatoes. I also set my goals to healthy living and not weight loss (and trust me I'm sure I've got you beat in pounds that I should lose) But since I've had similar problems with thyroid I decided that I'm just going to focus on real food that is healthy and fresh. I never go to fast food at all. Rarely drink soda (diet or otherwise). Eat a large salad every day. and drink plenty of water. The rest I figure will have to work itself out. I have been on this almost 3 weeks now and finally decided to buy a scale but I will not weigh myself more than once a week because frankly I don't care much about weight loss but if I do lose as well I will be encouraged.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I also recently found out I have hypothyriodism and was put on medication. Weight loss was spurred a little but has plateaued again it not easy staying focused. What are you doing to stay motivated?