I'm getting annoyed with constantly being told this

Options

Replies

• Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting link to check out for anyone who wants to know an independent site with caloric intake information.
    http://www.cancer.org/healthy/toolsandcalculators/calculators/app/calorie-counter-calculator
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    With hypothyroidism, one already has a slow metabolism, the thyroid hormone has an effect on EVERY ORGAN and ORGAN FUNCTION in the BODY. Pretty much when you are in a HYPO state you are SLOW, the stimulation to eat is decreased and the stimulation to process is decreased and you hold on TO EVERYTHING. I know from experience and through my practice and education as an advanced practice nurse. I have the lowest functioning thyroid known to man....lol..... Im on 200mcg synthroid..... and for those of you that dont know thats alot. People tell me you have to eat so many meals a day and so on and so on blah blah blah blah... but you know what IM NOT HUNGRY because my thyroid wont let me be and when I force myself I GAIN. But I found the formula that works for me even if I only eat 1-3 times a day, you have to listen to your body you have to know yourself, it took me a long time but im doing it. And I did it through eating right (FOR ME) and working out.

I forget my dosage offhand, but I'm up there as well, over 100. and I don't feel it's really working for me, I haven't gotten blood drawn in months because of not having insurance. I know how the thyroid works though, and it SUCKS!! Stupid hormones... something so stupid and little, controlling everything in your body, kind of crazy.

It does suck hun, having to get blood draws every 6 months sometimes more when fluctuating dosage. I know what it is like to not have insurance to get labs done, **** I didnt have money all through school, but I think its time to get redrawn just to see where you are at. Typically we want level SLIGHTLY hyper (fast) for individuals who have and underactive thyroid. Let me tell you something once you find that right dose, take it at the same time every day you will see and feel a difference. I did. Now I work my *kitten* off twice as hard vs. someone who works just hard and we WILL have different results. It will take time dont get frustrated it will happen just at a different pace.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    With hypothyroidism, one already has a slow metabolism, the thyroid hormone has an effect on EVERY ORGAN and ORGAN FUNCTION in the BODY. Pretty much when you are in a HYPO state you are SLOW, the stimulation to eat is decreased and the stimulation to process is decreased and you hold on TO EVERYTHING. I know from experience and through my practice and education as an advanced practice nurse. I have the lowest functioning thyroid known to man....lol..... Im on 200mcg synthroid..... and for those of you that dont know thats alot. People tell me you have to eat so many meals a day and so on and so on blah blah blah blah... but you know what IM NOT HUNGRY because my thyroid wont let me be and when I force myself I GAIN. But I found the formula that works for me even if I only eat 1-3 times a day, you have to listen to your body you have to know yourself, it took me a long time but im doing it. And I did it through eating right (FOR ME) and working out.

I forget my dosage offhand, but I'm up there as well, over 100. and I don't feel it's really working for me, I haven't gotten blood drawn in months because of not having insurance. I know how the thyroid works though, and it SUCKS!! Stupid hormones... something so stupid and little, controlling everything in your body, kind of crazy.

Regardless of your insurance status, if you aren't going in for your blood work (particularly being on a high dosage) then you aren't really in a position to complain that you're doing everything you can. Without being regulated, there's no telling how your metabolism is working compared to how a website thinks it should be.

My sis was born without a thyroid, and never has had any sort of weight issues. I have fibromyalgia but I see my doc regularly, take my meds as prescribed, am working my butt off at the gym, watching my calories, and have been static with my weight loss for the last three months. However, the inches are melting away.:smile:

Calories In < Calories Out = on the right track!

edited to add: you stated you've only been on mfp for what, 2 days? how annoyed can you possibly be? hehe
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you have hypothyroidism - unfortunately that means you burn fewer calories than most people of the same age/height/weight. It doesn't mean you can violate the laws of thermodynamics. It just means that you need to eat much less to lose weight that a 'typical' person. I would recommend asking your endocrinologist about your diet. Good luck!
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    If one eats less than what one burns, one will lose weight.

It's not always the case, in my opinion. I get the science of it, I do. But it's not the same for every single person.

Just normal daily living burns about 2,000 calories. On a diet for nearly 3 months, I was eating 1200-1500 and in that 3 months, lost 3 lbs. I have hypothyroid, it's hard for me to lose weight. Why do people seem so hellbent on the theory of weight loss, isn't it different for everyone? Because I know it is for me. Maybe I'm the only one, like ever... but I know for a fact it's different for people with thyroid issues, and diabetes in some cases too.

Yes, it is calories in vs. calories out. The key is - we're not measuring the right things.

If an item has 300 calories according to a package, that does NOT mean that YOUR body is going to absorb 300 calories out of it. Some of us are super absorbers and actually break down food better than others. And some of us DON'T absorb as much as others. A perfect example of this is kids with Cystic Fibrosis. Because they end up with a mucus lining in their intestines that blocks their ability to absorb food, they HAVE to eat a ton of calories just to stay alive because they aren't getting 100% of what they eat. In fact, they actual prescribe bile salts & pancreatic enzymes to BOOST absorption for people who aren't absorbing as much as others. This means someone who produces an excess naturally would absorb more than a normal person.

And just because someone SAYS we burn XXX calories per hour being alive does NOT mean that YOUR body burns that. Bodies are designed to take care of certain functions before others. For example - if your body temperature is 97.6 instead of 98.6, you require less energy for a day than someone who is exactly the same height, weight & gender but who's body temperature is 1 degree higher. The very definition of a calorie is how much energy it takes to heat a liter of water 1 degree,

There are other functions which may not be working at 100% (especially for people who are hypothyroid or insulin resistant) that require less to function. This is what metabolism is all about. Just like when your bank account is low, suddenly you skip the name brand and buy generic. You decide maybe you DON'T need to see the dentist this month, or maybe you'll just patch that tire instead of replacing it. You find ways to get by on less - it doesn't mean you're getting the same quality of life (physically or financially), but you're taking care of the essentials.

So while it is true, calories in vs calories out, you have to take into account ALL of the ways in and out. If you're not absorbing something, it's going "out" via pooping, not via sweat or calorie burning.

This is very interesting. Thank you for the information. I run a temperature of between 96.4 and 97.43 most dates. above that for me is a fever and I feel aweful. I cannot under any circumstance go above 1400 calories or I gain weight like nothing else. SO this would make since why I would have that problem! Thanks.
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    I believe you need to eat more calories honestly.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options

Regardless of your insurance status, if you aren't going in for your blood work (particularly being on a high dosage) then you aren't really in a position to complain that you're doing everything you can. Without being regulated, there's no telling how your metabolism is working compared to how a website thinks it should be.

My sis was born without a thyroid, and never has had any sort of weight issues. I have fibromyalgia but I see my doc regularly, take my meds as prescribed, am working my butt off at the gym, watching my calories, and have been static with my weight loss for the last three months. However, the inches are melting away.:smile:

Calories In < Calories Out = on the right track!

edited to add: you stated you've only been on mfp for what, 2 days? how annoyed can you possibly be? hehe

yeah, been on the site for 2 days, not trying to lose for 2 days..
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Memorize your dosage and your T4, T3 levels. If your T4 meds aren't converting to T3 well enough, your metabolism will suffer. T3 is the hormone that controls everything so it's the important one. Remember there is a huge normal range for T4 and T3 so if your T3 is .9, lowest level, your doctor may say you are fine even with low thyroid symptoms. Thyroid antibodies can also mess with function. Also Insulin Resistance makes weight loss very difficult. Keep the blood sugar level and eat small meals your body can metabolize without triggering an insulin spike. l lost 75 pounds with the energy of a slug by sticking to 1200 cals. and walking, and adding 5 cytomel to the 100 mcg Synthroid. Good luck to you!
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I agree! had my thyroid removed and on thyroid replacement and have a very difficult time losing weight. at 1200 cals a day and running 5-7km 3 days a week and doing other workouts as well, only lose maybe a pound a week if I'm lucky. MFP seems to think that I should be losing 2 lbs a week with my cals, no way!

Yeah, I'm at 2 lbs a week now as well. My first day on the site was yesterday, so in two days, I dunno if I've lost anything, no scale at my house which is probably a good thing. My thyroid is super low and I'm on medication for it. The doctors said on the meds, it would help with weight loss and my sleep patterns, I notice no difference in either.

I have had hypothyroidism for almost 40 years. It is harder to lose and maintain but I don't think you are giving this enough time to work. To expect a loss in two days is unrealistic for almost anyone - female anyways. I wouldn't even weigh myself for 3 months of my journey. Focus on healthy living that includes food choices and portions with exercise and you will see results. Maybe change up your food and add calories. So many people do better with more calories than less.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I agree! had my thyroid removed and on thyroid replacement and have a very difficult time losing weight. at 1200 cals a day and running 5-7km 3 days a week and doing other workouts as well, only lose maybe a pound a week if I'm lucky. MFP seems to think that I should be losing 2 lbs a week with my cals, no way!

Yeah, I'm at 2 lbs a week now as well. My first day on the site was yesterday, so in two days, I dunno if I've lost anything, no scale at my house which is probably a good thing. My thyroid is super low and I'm on medication for it. The doctors said on the meds, it would help with weight loss and my sleep patterns, I notice no difference in either.

I have had hypothyroidism for almost 40 years. It is harder to lose and maintain but I don't think you are giving this enough time to work. To expect a loss in two days is unrealistic for almost anyone - female anyways. I wouldn't even weigh myself for 3 months of my journey. Focus on healthy living that includes food choices and portions with exercise and you will see results. Maybe change up your food and add calories. So many people do better with more calories than less.

where's 2 days coming from? In my post it says 3 MONTHS and 3 lbs down.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    where's 2 days coming from? In my post it says 3 MONTHS and 3 lbs down.

It's coming from the post where you said you've been here for 2 days.
    My first day on the site was yesterday, so in two days, I dunno if I've lost anything
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    When people say "eat less than you burn", it doesn't mean less than what MFP says you burn. It's a fact - if you eat less than you burn you will lose weight. There's no way around that. The problem is that for whatever reason, you aren't burning as much as you should be.
  • smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Same issue, hypothyroid and insommnia, went from 127 lbs to 160-164 in a little over a year. I track everything I put in my mouth and work out like a plow horse 5 times a week and all I do is gain weight! I am on a 1330 calorie diet however never eat my calories.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    ::raises hand:: hypothyroidism here. i maintain my weight EASILY on 1400-1600 calories per day. I love reading people's profiles when it says not to request them as a friend if you eat under X amount of calories (yes, i understand they just want to make sure htey're interacting with healthy people). I net about 1100 on a normal clean eating/exercise day (no treats, not a rest day) and that is simply what my body needed. I have been maintaining since the beginning of February (plauteaued) and just recently saw the scale move a bit by losing 3 pounds. Keep going OP- it is possible!
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to MFP! I have Hypo-thyroidism as well Crohn's Disease, so I completly understand health problems and the havoc they can play with your weight. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to get the right balance when your thyroid goes out of sync. The blood tests really are the key to ensure you are on the right dosage of synthroid (or whatever thyroid meds). I hope you will be able to see a doctor sooner rather than later. Just know that this can be managed and you can achieve your goals! :flowerforyou:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Plus other hormones, such as cortisol (stress hormone) and lack of sleep can interfere with weight loss.

I guess the trick is to see which things you can change and address those things.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't have thyroid issues but my husband has for about 15 years so I know firsthand the constant struggle he's personally had with the scale. It's definitely gotten a lot better since he's numbers have been pretty constant but the first few years, his weight was all over the place. But once managed properly, you can get to where you want to be - fitness-wise. Good luck to you. :bigsmile:
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome :) I didn't read all of the responses so I apologize if I am repeating something. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less. The info and the people there are SOOOO helpful! I feel like I hit a plateau every few weeks and I have really found a fantastic support network. Do not let the name of the group fool you! Good Luck :)
  • mkambalimath
    Options
    Soooo... you ARE eating less than you are burning AND you are losing weight... so it is the same for you?!?!?! What's the problem?

Being Snarky is not necessary here. If she is having a rough time, then she is simply having a rough time. Maybe try being supportive? Just saying.....

Agree! You dont see a whole lot of support on here unless someone posts a pic of themselves with bones sticking out all over. Someone just a little bit ago posted about people acting like this. "Snarky" is a very polite word for it. :) Its very rude, and unless you have a medical problem that makes it even harder to lose weight and be healthy then it already is, you should sit back and be arrogant and ignorant in silence.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I may or may not have a thyroid problem my dr. said as I was supost to run the tests but I didnt go in for them. My mom has it. well heres my thing: I have been at it for 6 months non stop just working out 6 days a wk and never easy workouts either as I have done: Lifting weights at the gym, Jillian Michaels workouts and just finished Insanity. For the life of me my body will NOT budge the fat. I mean I have noticed some difference in my body. It looks better and more toned/defined. but yea I only have 20 pounds to lose and I hear the less you have the longer it takes.. I do understand that you having a low thyroid means YES you have to work double time more then other regular ppl to get the job done which sucks!! As for me, well I dont know if I have that thyroid problem or not, for now, I guess I dont care to know as I hate medications ne ways and refuse ne at all. I just keep doin things the right way and hope that all will workout in the end.
    I know, I mess up on my damn diet wayyyy too much. which is why every month I eaither lose or gain 4 pounds off my body and thats been my 6 month cycle im ready to break it... For ppl like us with SLOW WEIGHT LOSS FOR WHATEVER REASON...
    YOU KNOW WHAT? WE CAN BEAT THE DAMN ODDS.. SO LETS GET IT DONE OUR WAY! F THE SIMPLE SCIENCE!