SUGAR!!!

Options
cnick21
cnick21 Posts: 24 Member
Ok....this stuff, this sugar...its killing my diet! I get 27 grams of sugar per day. however, i am finding it very hard to not go over this amount. And I don't eat candy, fatty foods, etc. Usually i'll have coffee for breakfast, lean cuisine or salad for lunch and then a sandwich, chicken, etc for dinner. even when i eat healthy, there are SO many foods that have sugar in them, even when I think I am eating healthy (salads, etc). Any snacks I eat are like the pretzel crisps, triscuits and hummus, etc. So my question to you guys: What kinds of foods are you guys eating to stay under your daily sugar intake? I need some ideas for foods that are not too high in sugar.

Thanks!!
=)

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I mostly ignore the MFP sugar counts. I try to limit my ADDED sugars to 20g a day, though.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    where do you see a sugar tally? I dont have one for sugar on my journal??
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a metabolic disorder, then sugar doesn't matter.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I removed the sugar tally from my totals... most days I go over just from the fruit from breakfast.
  • chelw727
    chelw727 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I mostly ignore the MFP sugar counts. I try to limit my ADDED sugars to 20g a day, though.

I also tend to ignore the sugar. I always go over, but most of my sugar is natural fructose from fruits.
  • HerbT51
    HerbT51 Posts: 36
    Options
    Because of diabetes, I track my carbs & fiber but never look at sugars because all carbs turn into sugar to be absorbed. If you can wean off the packaged foods (even Lean Cuisine) you will not be getting as much "hidden sugar'. Real food is the way to go. More vegetables will help you feel full.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just count carbs. Not need to measure sugar.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    unless there is a medical reason, pay more attenttion to staying in calorie than sugar. But don't go to extreme lol
  • cnick21
    Options
    thanks for your replies! I've been kinda going OCD about the sugar levels! i just dont want to consume all this sugar because sugar turns to fat and thats what i'm trying to eliminate! I think I will just stick to keeping an eye on my carb levels (which I'm always under anyway). Thanks for all of your input!
  • mmapags
    Options
    thanks for your replies! I've been kinda going OCD about the sugar levels! i just dont want to consume all this sugar because sugar turns to fat and thats what i'm trying to eliminate! I think I will just stick to keeping an eye on my carb levels (which I'm always under anyway). Thanks for all of your input!

Honestly, sugar does not turn into fat. It's just not all that complicated. Burn more calories than you take in and try to get close to you carb, fat and protien goals and your good to go. Sugar is just a carb. To be controlled for sure but there is no worry about sugar turning into fat.
  • cnick21
    Options
    really? wow...I've always been told it turns into fat (well...it gets STORED as fat i should say). thanks for the info! =)
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    I struggle with this also. i eat nothing but fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, etc. and Yogurt, chicken, turkey, and fish...Yet I keep going way over my sugar amount also. Sugar will get stored as fat if your not burning it off. But for the most part, If you elimiate as much processed sugars ( factory made foods) as you can, you will be doing your body a big favor. Sugar at least for me, simply makes me crave more sugar. And I keep going for things like Chocolate...so I have been working really hard at eating things like fresh strawberries when I crave chocolate. And again, my calorie count and sugar count goes up. But it is much better to eat cantalope, strawberries, or carrots instead of chocolate, or any man made refined white sugar or flour.
    Bryan
  • mmapags
    Options
    really? wow...I've always been told it turns into fat (well...it gets STORED as fat i should say). thanks for the info! =)

All energy get's stored as fat if you are in a calorie surplus. Sugar/ carbs is only one kind of energy. If you are at maitenance or TDEE, no issue. If you are in a calorie deficit, no issue. If you are in a calorie surplus, issue. This applies to whatever you eat. There are many heath reasons for limiting simple sugar. But it does not turn into fat.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I agree with the extra added sugar thing. You should be watching that amount. keep it as close to 0 as possible and you will do just fine. Sugar by volume carries more cals. so less sugar can help with cal counting.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I struggle with this also. i eat nothing but fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, etc. and Yogurt, chicken, turkey, and fish...Yet I keep going way over my sugar amount also. Sugar will get stored as fat if your not burning it off. But for the most part, If you elimiate as much processed sugars ( factory made foods) as you can, you will be doing your body a big favor. Sugar at least for me, simply makes me crave more sugar. And I keep going for things like Chocolate...so I have been working really hard at eating things like fresh strawberries when I crave chocolate. And again, my calorie count and sugar count goes up. But it is much better to eat cantalope, strawberries, or carrots instead of chocolate, or any man made refined white sugar or flour.
    Bryan
    Getting sugar from fruit is the same as getting sugar from any other source. Getting it from fruit doesn't make the sugar any different. There are additional benefits to fruit in terms of antioxidants and nutrients but the sugar is the sugar. There is some evidence that too much sugar leads to cravings but that's true regardless of source and can be true if your carbs are high and you ingest no sugar. As my friend Acg67 would say, it's all dependent on dose and context.

I took a quick look at your diary. I would strongly recommed you don't measure sugar at all. You are usually under your carbs but they are set very high. MFP defaults I'd guess at 55%? Lower those to 40% and up your protein and fats and I'm guessing you'll you might progress a little better.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    where do you see a sugar tally? I dont have one for sugar on my journal??

You can change it in settings to see different things go to settings then diary I think.

I don't have any sugar outside of natural sugar from fruit and veggies. I do monitor it but I don't bother worrying about it since its all from natural stuff. I would say just cut out the sugar !!! You get use to not having sugar anymore, black coffee taste gross now ... but you get use to it and now I enjoy it.